Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Water

Options
  • 15-09-2019 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

So I love centrally in Dublin and have never been a fan of drinking the tap water. But recently have started to think about the impact that the water has on my coffee.

My partner is a tea drinker and can notice a massive taste difference between tap, filtered, bottled and her parents house.

I’ve gone back and forth, but what water do people use with high quality beans?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

There are options, if you can't afford a filtration system or want something beyond a Brita kettle.

You can buy mineral supplements such as Third Wave Water which you add to distilled water, and this creates an ideal mineral balance for filter coffee.

If I recall, the Tesco Ashbeck water seems to be decent for coffee, also.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Akula

Filtration system would not be worth installing in my currently place as will likely move in the near future.

I’ve been buying bottled water and using that, but noticing a lot of calcium flakes left over in the kettle after boiling, so must be pretty hard water.

I assume Britta filtered water will be no different?

Tablets are interesting, but I’d then need to be sourcing distilled water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Interesting thread. I live in a hard water area with a lot of limescale build up regularly in the kettle.
    If I bought a decent coffee machine I wonder what impact it would have on the machine and the quality of coffee?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Recently purchased a Rocket Espresso machine.

They told me, and it's also in the manufacturers manual........not to descale the machine. Told them I live in Dublin, he said that the water is perfect, there should be no issues.
    These machines need minerals in the water as you guys seem to know already.

Back flushing the brew regularly is all it needs apparently.

Hard water area.......now that's a different kettle of fish I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,687 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have a dehumidifier and so lots of distilled water and I use that in my espresso machine. Anyone claiming they could discern whether it was distilled or well water used to make a strong espresso would have way better taste buds than I possess.

• Advertisement

Brego888 wrote: »
    Interesting thread. I live in a hard water area with a lot of limescale build up regularly in the kettle.
    If I bought a decent coffee machine I wonder what impact it would have on the machine and the quality of coffee?
    If you find your kettle builds up with limescale, I would stick with either bottled or filtered water on your machine. Limescale can eventually damage the element and hard water won't extract coffee as well (already a lot of particulate in the water).

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Akula

On bottled water. Doesn't some of that have quite a high mineral content anyway?

Akula wrote: »
    On bottled water. Doesn't some of that have quite a high mineral content anyway?

It would be much better than hard tap water, on most counts.

Advertisement