Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VAR Discussion thread

Comments

Not sure how accurate but a view of Salah situation

https://twitter.com/EPLStuff/status/1193572801191395328?s=19

Ah here thats some lad on a computer, i doubt he is more accurate then var

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,878 ✭✭✭✭klose

I mean the fact its someone recording a reply with their phone and alternating the angle is hardly much if anything to go by

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

It was funny how they didn't show the checking of that decision, it did look tight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

It was funny how they didn't show the checking of that decision, it did look tight

They showed it about 10 minutes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,603 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

How come Man City didn't get a penalty for the handball in the first half? At this stage it appears the EPL are actively trying to undermine VAR. They've been giving penalties for that with VAR and yet they reviewed it and didn't give this one? I know Liverpool scored a goal straight away before the review but it still should have come back for a penalty. No consistency with the use of VAR at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

TheCitizen wrote: »
    How come Man City didn't get a penalty for the handball in the first half? At this stage it appears the EPL are actively trying to undermine VAR. They've been giving penalties for that with VAR and yet they reviewed it and didn't give this one? I know Liverpool scored a goal straight away before the review but it still should have come back for a penalty. No consistency with the use of VAR at all.

It can't have been given as a peno to city as the ball struck Silva's hand first,and the law states the attacking team can gain no advantage from a handball by one of their players, and the advantage it gained was that it went from Silva's hand to trents, if It didn't hit Silva's hand,it wouldn't have hit trents, so...

Fairly clear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,276 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Because it hit Silvas hand 1st

Fair enough if that's the decision they came to but it's stupid to turn down a debatable decision without backing it up. If they showed a slow motion replay of that handball, it would have cleared it up straight away instead of having people argue about why it might have been given or turned down.

They would be as well scrap var until they can figure out how to use it without the controversy. Amateurs running a professional sport

Nothing to do with VAR it is the new hand ball rule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I feel like Mugatu in Zoolander when I see these posts - "Am I the only one taking crazy pills here!?"

Silva passes the ball with his hand. The ball then hits TAA's hand while it's down by his side. Even if Silva doesn't pass the ball with his hand, it's still not a penalty.

But Silva passes the ball with his hand. Surely we've all seen it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

fyfe79 wrote: »
    I feel like Mugatu in Zoolander when I see these posts - "Am I the only one taking crazy pills here!?"

Silva passes the ball with his hand. The ball then hits TAA's hand while it's down by his side. Even if Silva doesn't pass the ball with his hand, it's still not a penalty.

But Silva passes the ball with his hand. Surely we've all seen it!!

I'm still unsure of the whole thing to be honest one way or another, but the one thing I do know is TAA's hand was not down by his side. Whether it's a penalty is debatable but unfair to frame it in a clearly wrong way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Var is a Joke.

Yesterday and again today.

Corholio wrote: »
    I'm still unsure of the whole thing to be honest one way or another, but the one thing I do know is TAA's hand was not down by his side. Whether it's a penalty is debatable but unfair to frame it in a clearly wrong way.

You don't know whether Silva passed it with his hand?? Maybe TAA's hand isn't totally by his side, but it certainly didn't look intentional. Regardless, it's moot what TAA did, because Silva passes the ball with his hand, and a forward cannot gain an advantage from a handball.

Var is a Joke.

What did it get wrong today?

Handball would have been against Man City

Salah was onside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Var is a Joke.

When today? I missed the two early games

What did it get wrong today?

Handball would have been against Man City

Salah was onside

Mane pushing sterling was another that seemed a wrong call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

If it hit Silva's hand first which it did why wasnt it called back for a free out?

kev1.3s wrote: »
    If it hit Silva's hand first which it did why wasnt it called back for a free out?

Why would it be? The advantage rule has long been established.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,905 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It missed Sterling diving as well today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,287 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It deflected off his hand he knew nothing about it. Both Silva and Trent's arms weren't in unnatural positions.

Because the ref played on and VAR went with the on field decision

Mane pushing sterling was another that seemed a wrong call.

If that was Sterling on Mane you would be calling a dive by Mane

If that was Sterling on Mane you would be calling a dive by Mane

It's been a long held opinion by liverpool supporters on here defending salah for going down for penalties that contact is all that is required. There was definite contact by mane on sterling today

It's been a long held opinion by liverpool supporters on here defending salah for going down for penalties that contact is all that is required. There was definite contact by mane on sterling today

And long held opinion by others that not all contact is a foul

And long held opinion by others that not all contact is a foul

What is your own personal opinion? Just for future reference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

That wasn't mentioned in the explanation given for why it wasn't given as a penalty though, they said nothing about Silva's handball, just talked about the lack of time to react to a ricocheted ball.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Why would it be? The advantage rule has long been established.

True but there should be no advantage following the second hand ball. New rule is any contact with the ball either deliberately or accidentally that results in a goal that goal is disallowed.
    Whatever way you want to try and dress it up the first goal today was another cock up by VAR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

True but there should be no advantage following the second hand ball. New rule is any contact with the ball either deliberately or accidentally that results in a goal that goal is disallowed.
    Whatever way you want to try and dress it up the first goal today was another cock up by VAR.

The man city player passing the ball to fabinho lead to the goal. Correct call by the ref and var

How far do you go on. If the ball stays in play for 5 mins and then a goal is scored do you still go back.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    The man city player passing the ball to fabinho lead to the goal. Correct call by the ref and var

If your a pool fan.

• Advertisement

Not sure, but is it possible that an accidental handball leading to a goal is allowed if the handball occurs in your own half? Similar to how you can't be offside if in your own half?

niallo27 wrote: »
    How far do you go on. If the ball stays in play for 5 mins and then a goal is scored do you still go back.

It was only 20 odd seconds

It was only 20 odd seconds

I'm not talking about today, I'm talking in general. City had the ball in between.

Should have been a pen there is contact that made unable to the ball, same as last week when Mane was kicked but then booked for diving, the contact on him made him unable to play the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Thought VAR was used correctly today, referee was positioned himself well when making the calls and we can argue the ins and outs of what a hand ball is but ultimately we should accept the refs judgement in real time unless there is something glaringly obvious that he didn’t see.
    Everything isn’t so binary, we need to let refs do their jobs and accept there will be different opinions on whether it was handball or a foul

What do you think, because if that's a pen, we could 6 or 7 pens every game.

• QEaYv86.jpg

Just spotted this too.
    You have to feel sorry for Sheffield United who were robbed of 3 points arguably because of one of the tightest offside decision.
    Then the above in the Liverpool v City clearly being offside and nobody called it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

QEaYv86.jpg

Just spotted this too.
    You have to feel sorry for Sheffield United who were robbed of 3 points arguably because of one of the tightest offside decision.
    Then the above in the Liverpool v City clearly being offside and nobody called it.

Thats some joke. And when you see Leicester being denied a clear pen also it amkes an even bigger joke of it. Hiw did VAR not give that penalty?

TAAs handball before Fabinhos goal was a def penalty also. He clearly moves his hand toward the ball and palms it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

QEaYv86.jpg

Just spotted this too.

they could have at least photo shopped in the ball being kicked. These pictures are gas, in that they tell us nothing
    the worrying thing about VAR is that it's getting decisions wrong, such as disallowing the Firminho goal the other week.

• Advertisement

• TAAs handball before Fabinhos goal was a def penalty also. He clearly moves his hand toward the ball and palms it.

The main issue being the wide range of inconsistencies on how it's being used match to match.
    It's like the PL are winging it.
    How the above wasn't even reviewed and one instance and in the Sheffield game it was is a clear indication of the inconsistencies.

Costing teams points. The exact opposite of what it was supposed to resolve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Roll on Thursday and they have the meeting about it. As it stands it's like giving someone a top of the range Tesla with all the tech and finding out they can't drive.

Roll on Thursday and they have the meeting about it. As it stands it's like giving someone a top of the range Tesla with all the tech and finding out they can't drive.

Teslas drive themselves though i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

QEaYv86.jpg

Just spotted this too.

I can see how this looks offside since the line is parallel to the line on the pitch, but if this line is moved to the right it's in no way parallel to the other line on the pitch. Do you think there is a chance that Var actually got this one correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I think VAR is a good thing as a concept, but this is a terrible implementation. Ideally, it should be only used for goals, red card instances and penalties. I also think they should follow the tennis approach - 3 challenges per game - if it's correct, you keep a challenge, otherwise you lose it, and only the manager can do it, and must talk to the first official within a couple of seconds or at the break in play that occurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

How the above wasn't even reviewed and one instance and in the Sheffield game it was is a clear indication of the inconsistencies.
    Every goal is reviewed.

They showed a VAR image of the Salah onside/offside moment a few minutes later.

• I can see how this looks offside since the line is parallel to the line on the pitch, but if this line is moved to the right it's in no way parallel to the other line on the pitch. Do you think there is a chance that Var actually got this one correct?

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭brick tamland

It can't have been given as a peno to city as the ball struck Silva's hand first,and the law states the attacking team can gain no advantage from a handball by one of their players, and the advantage it gained was that it went from Silva's hand to trents, if It didn't hit Silva's hand,it wouldn't have hit trents, so...

Fairly clear

If this is the case should Fabinho's goal have stood as TAAs actions led to the counter that Liverpool scored the 1st goal.

Don't know the answer to this by the way as that could push things around in circles. Man I f*****g hate VAR.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

niallo27 wrote: »
    I'm not talking about today, I'm talking in general. City had the ball in between.

City's poor clearance created the goal.

VAR has ruined football. I didn't enjoy salahs goal because of the fear of it's being offside. I enjoyed fabs goal, then the controversy after it ruined it.

It really has taken the enjoyment of scoring a goal out of the game. It's getting to the point like rugby., it goes to the TMO and then everyone cheers the announcement. It's a load of crap the way the premiership are using it.

• Advertisement

Advertisement