Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    They’re the new Crystal Palace.

Roy could do a job there after we get Ole sacked at the weekend. Although you couldn't blame him for not wanting to take a move down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,899 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Turtyturd wrote: »
    They’re the new Crystal Palace.

The Palace squad is a lot better than the Man U squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,007 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Best we've played against Utd under Klopp was the 2 Europa League ties, and even then we still drew away (albeit while well ahead in the tie anyway, so a draw was more than fine).

Hoping this one can be a bit of a statement, but it's never easy for Liverpool at Old Trafford - it's the one game where they really know the expectations of their fans, and anything other than giving 100% won't be tolerated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

This is the worst United team in my life time, but I still wouldn't be confident enough to say that Liverpool will win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Of course Man U can win on Sunday. It'd hardly be the shock of the century, anyone can beat anyone in the League on any given day.

Norwich beat City a few weeks back, City lost to Newcastle last season. It happens.

But we're bound to drop points at some stage and this is a one off game for these now.

It'd be typical for them to win, lose the next two games and Solskjaer still gets the boot anyway while maybe Liverpool go on another 8 game winning run.

I do think we'll win though.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I wish I was half as confident of a Liverpool win as the utd fans are. I get their pessimism, but this is a terrible fixture for Liverpool usually. We are rightly odds on favourites, and we should win, but I can't be confident that we will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Either way, I can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

I have a lot of pride from standing up to trolls and cliques that like to bully new people or anyone with a dissenting view.

I remember the time you were bullied for standing up for your beloved Manchester United after people called them Man u

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

NukaCola wrote: »
    Klopp has never won at OT with Liverpool i think? Its going to be a tough game even though they are a shambles, their players turn up for the big games, crowd will be up for it too. We dont seem to be our best after international breaks either in general. A point wont be a complete disaster but a win would be another big statement.

No, but we did knock them out of Europa League at Old Trafford in 2016.

Will never forget the noise (well actually silence) of Coutinho lobbing DDG from about 8 yards out and old Trafford just silenced. You could hear the ball hit the net. It was Paddy's day and I still can remember the exact pub and exact screen I was watching it in. Full of United fans in full voice as they thought they were back in the tie at the time of the goal. It felt like I was the only lad celebrating but I enjoyed it! Full day on the beer helped!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,899 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lads its Man U.

We have lost 6 league games in the last 84 games in the last 2 and a quarter seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,446 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Ole is old school, a victory for them could be kicking the bits out of us, even if they get a red. That is a victory for them these days, just to stand up and be counted would be a step forward for them, at this moment in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,007 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I don't really see us losing... but I could see a draw. 1-1. Bobby, and a pen for them.

Hopefully not though. Love to score one or two early and just enjoy the occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Anyone know if Martial is injured still? I don't see United actually having a chance if he doesn't play. Absolutely toothless up front as things are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Best Liverpool team in my lifetime.
    Worst utd team in 25 years.
    Best Liverpool manager in 30 years
    Worst utd manager in my lifetime (ever?).

And I'm nervous :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

If we can manage an early goal I think they'll totally fall apart and we'll hammer them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Anyone know if Martial is injured still? I don't see United actually having a chance if he doesn't play. Absolutely toothless up front as things are.

According to physioroom and papers he's fit, but not for the 90mins. So will start on the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

it'll be over by half time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I say the best strategy is to go with an action midfield of Fab, Gini and Keita or Ox-there's no need to show them any respect by playing Henderson or Milner to keep it defensive. Their main attacking plan will probably be to have James running at TAA which should see Salah with lots of space to run at the left back-this will draw out a CB to help, leaving space for everyone else. I'm predicting the first genuinely barnstorming performance of the season and a 0-4 (or 1-4 if they're lucky) with a brace each for Mane and Firmino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

All I'll say is if it was easy as y'all are making out the league would be in the bag but it's not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Our defenders have a history of making their mediocre forwards look like world beaters. Martial on his debut...Rashford with 2 goals. Even if they still had Sanchez up front there would be a possibility of him scoring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭facehugger99

5pts clear at the top and 12pts ahead of Man Utd....

..........and that's the worst-case scenario after the weekend!

These are great times to support Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

5pts clear at the top and 12pts ahead of Man Utd....

..........and that's the worst-case scenario after the weekend!

These are great times to support Liverpool.

I like that.....would prefer 11pts clear, 15 ahead of Man U though!!

If

Liverpool beat Liverpool by 3 goals
    Everton beat West Ham
    Villa Brighton draw
    Newcastle beat Chelsea
    Southampton beat Wolves

guess who ends the weekend in the relegation zone?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

FitzShane wrote: »
    If

Everton beat West Ham
    Villa Brighton draw
    Newcastle beat Chelsea
    Southampton beat Wolves

Nobody

as Liverpool cant beat Liverpool by 3 goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭✭GBX

FitzShane wrote: »
    If

Everton beat West Ham
    Villa Brighton draw
    Newcastle beat Chelsea
    Southampton beat Wolves

First one is a bit of an ask but we remain hopeful :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Liverpool v Liverpool has 4-3 written all over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,287 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I see City been held at Selhurst, there in good form and that's always a tough game for the top sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Probably been mentioned a few times already, but has anyone read Pearce's TA article from Monday about Michael Edwards?

Thought it was a brilliant piece, great to get some more insight into how he operates and how highly regarded he is at the club.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

In the last few years as far as I can remember, it's been Herera and Young that have worked their nuts off in the games against us, one of them is not there any more, and I don't even know if Young gets his game anymore.

But, it's one of those games where anything can happen. I guess Ole is fighting for his job at this stage given the recent results they have had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,364 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    In the last few years as far as I can remember, it's been Herera and Young that have worked their nuts off in the games against us, one of them is not there any more, and I don't even know if Young gets his game anymore.

But, it's one of those games where anything can happen. I guess Ole is fighting for his job at this stage given the recent results they have had.

Young is playing because Shaw is out injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I'm usually quite measured and I can understand the sentiment behind the "it's never easy at Old Trafford" posts, but quite frankly I do expect a win, even a hard fought one, and a draw would be two bad points lost.

We are very fortunate to be facing United right now, the team is in complete crisis both on the pitch, their morale, and their injuries. De Gea and Pogba out, added to the long term absentees like Shaw and Martial (granted not great players, but Martial for one that on his day can hurt you).

It's all set up for us to go there and make a statement. Yes they'll be up for it and the crowd will be too, but this Liverpool team is not just talented and confident, it also has a lot of big game experience.

In my opinion, our only danger is giving them too much respect, playing the fixture rather than the opposition.

I've watched United in their last couple of games, and there's so little there to suggest they can hurt us and keep us out. 1-1 against Arsenal isn't a disgrace of a result, but honestly the football on display from both teams that night was awful. Then lowly Newcastle outplayed them. The starting XI, when you look through it, has so many weaknesses in it.

I actually think this is the type of game where a slightly arrogant teamtalk along the lines of "lads it's Spurs" might help. The team needs to be going in almost knowing that they are so much better that it will show, there shouldn't be nerves here.

I am rarely bullish about matches, especially against United when the pain of being wrong is even worse, but there's no way we shouldn't be extending this winning run here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

They'll definitely outscore us on yellow cards from rash, frustrated tackles. Because they're bad at football right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

We do need the front 3 to perform.

Last 2 seasons they have not really shown up. Firmini was injured last season so more so Salah & Mane need big games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Did we see this? From today's Times:
    The Premier League will today reveal that there will be four separate kick-off times for live football matches on Boxing Day for the first time, including Liverpool’s visit to Leicester City at 8pm.

All nine top-flight matches on Boxing Day will be streamed live on Amazon Prime, with other matches kicking off at 12.30pm, 3pm and 5.30pm. The other match, Wolverhampton Wanderers v Manchester City, will be played on December 27 and also shown on Amazon.

That's an appalling lack of regard for matchgoing fans again - impossible to travel back to Merseyside from Leicester after an 8pm kick off.

For the TV viewer, it could be a great spread, though. Am I right in thinking Premier Sports have the Amazon games here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

MD1990 wrote: »
    We do need the front 3 to perform.

Last 2 seasons they have not really shown up. Firmini was injured last season so more so Salah & Mane need big games.

Why do you hate the front 3 so much?

Why do you hate the front 3 so much?

I like to against the grain to other posters because they disliked previous players I liked who turned out useless. I miss Studge.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Peatys wrote: »
    According to physioroom and papers Martial's fit, but not for the 90mins. So will start on the bench

I'd bet Martial will play.

They think Rashford has Trent's number (assuming he bothers his hole this week), so that means someone else up top. They'll start Martial and try and get an hour out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I like to against the grain to other posters because they disliked previous players I liked who turned out useless. I miss Studge.:(

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Did we see this? From today's Times:

That's an appalling lack of regard for matchgoing fans again - impossible to travel back to Merseyside from Leicester after an 8pm kick off.

For the TV viewer, it could be a great spread, though. Am I right in thinking Premier Sports have the Amazon games here?

I thought it was purely Amazon, not sure if Premier have them also?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Fieldog wrote: »
    I thought it was purely Amazon, not sure if Premier have them also?

Ah - think this is what caused my confusion. From the Irish Times in July:
    Soccer: Premier Sports will show 53 Premier League games during the 2019/20 season including 20 exclusive 3pm kick-offs which will be broadcast in Ireland on Premier but in the UK on Amazon Prime. Premier Sports also show Serie A, Eredivisie and Scottish FA and League Cups.

No mention of Christmas games so presume not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

So will Irish amazon prime customers have access or will it be restricted to UK only I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

sweetie wrote: »
    So will Irish amazon prime customers have access or will it be restricted to UK only I wonder?

I would assume it's both, but with PL rights and all who knows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

martyos121 wrote: »
    Probably been mentioned a few times already, but has anyone read Pearce's TA article from Monday about Michael Edwards?

Thought it was a brilliant piece, great to get some more insight into how he operates and how highly regarded he is at the club.

I got around to reading it yesterday, a really really enjoyable read. Brilliant stuff from Pearce again.

I can’t recommend The Athletic highly enough. Not just Liverpool, there’s great articles on other clubs and players that are really interesting to read about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,274 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Ah - think this is what caused my confusion. From the Irish Times in July:

No mention of Christmas games so presume not.

Amazon have 20 games 10 midweek games at the start of December and 10 on Stephens Day

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

sweetie wrote: »

Restricted to the UK only. Premier Sports have 1 or 2 games from each of the match days for broadcast in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,274 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

5starpool wrote: »
    Restricted to the UK only. Premier Sports have 1 or 2 games from each of the match days for broadcast in Ireland.

Premier have 33 Saturday 3pm games, so i am guessing those 20 other games are those 2 sets of 10 games so they may try and show as many of them as they can and with Stephens Day looking like 4 different kick off times it could show all

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1184861663478079491

Fixture changes worked out quite well for us.

No game with just 48 hours rest. Wolves have less than 48 hours rest befor they play us Dec 29th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,921 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1184861663478079491

Fixture changes worked out quite well for us.

No game with just 48 hours rest. Wolves have less than 48 hours rest befor they play us Dec 29th

A 6 hour round trip to Leicester with kick off at 8pm on Stephen's Day is a joke.

I always thought that the Stephens Day fixtures were meant to be local, to avoid these type scenarios for fans having to travel 3 hours to a game and home again. The lack of Wigan, Bolton & Stoke have made this tougher and to be fair the club are putting on free coaches to and from the game. £5 deposit, which will go to food banks also. They really should just make Stephens day Derby day and have fans stay in their home town or city at least.

Wolves are at home to City on Friday and then away to Liverpool on Sunday less than 48 hours later which is nice for us. Hopefully they go all out for the home game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭The Good Ole Boys

No one forced to go to the game. The privileged like Osmosis Jones will always find something to be unhappy about. You can just not go and give the monies to charity.

If it is about the players, well they get paid enough and should be fine. I suspect they will enjoy it. They are not like children, they can take it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement