Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

beno619 wrote: »
    A goal scorer needs chances !

For all the abuse Rashford is getting it’s not like he get 3/4 big chances a game, he might get one if lucky. No forward will prosper under those conditions.

He is statuesque in his movement. He stands behind and inbetween defenders expecting the ball to come to him.

There are some very basic things he could be doing to make space for himself.

We are saying no chances are being created, but it's not all down to the supply. He has to learn how to peel off a defender, get in front sometimes, drift behind them others.

He is easy to mark, so any cross that comes in, or pass behind unless there's a big bit of room between him and the goal to use his pace, are quickly snuffed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Necro wrote: »
    even why you posted it in the first place, as Ronaldo does not play for Manchester United and has not done since 2009 - 10 years ago :rolleyes:

because of this post:
    GSPfan wrote: »
    Just watching the Ronaldo Piers Morgan interview. Ronaldo is such a likeable bloke. He’s an absolute sporting god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,666 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,338 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

For all the abuse Rashford is getting it’s not like he get 3/4 big chances a game, he might get one if lucky. No forward will prosper under those conditions.

This. People are talking about him making runs and maybe there are times but he can't make runs to both the front and back post and be available for a pull back at the penalty spot. Ultimately in my opinion it's a bad cross if it doesn't go towards a player on your team and give them a chance to get to it. Unfortunately it seems players who make these 'dangerous' crosses get a lot of credit while the players who watch them sail over their head or are cut out before getting to them are blamed. How many of Man City's tap in goals are because Aguero makes these kind of runs and how many are because he has 2 or 3 others in the box affording him space to exploit?

I think the Rashford situation is similar to Ole's - There are deeper problems beyond the individual, but the individual isn't helping himself at all and certainly has blame to share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

What the fk is wrong with our squad that they get injured so often? Even since the Fergie days. It should be a rare occurrence not once a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

People seriously overcomplicate things

If Pukki & Wilson can out score our forwards they cannot have any excuses about “style” or whatever nonsense.

Abraham is banging them in in a team that was said to not have any quality players bar Kante.

It’s simple, a lack of quality at the end of the day. Newcastle ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,338 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think the Rashford situation is similar to Ole's - There are deeper problems beyond the individual, but the individual isn't helping himself at all and certainly has blame to share.

Probably fair. Exactly why people feel the need to blame a 21 year old forward for United's malaise will just remain baffling to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,797 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Fair point, indeed we are not creating chances that’s a big problem but the ones we do create that fall into Rashfords lap he fûcks up more often then not. His general contribution to the team outside of trying to put the ball in the net is average.. he’s a big physical athletic dude but when is the last time you saw him skin a defender, run past an opposing player, make mince meat of the opposition ? He isn’t a striker, he is a forward so you expect a lot more than just a guy who gets on the end of crosses... that team needs forwards and strikers, forwards who with the ball at their feet can create for others, attack defenders, create and be on the end of danger in the opposition box.... Rashford doesn’t deliver regularly enough for either a striker or forward, because he just isn’t that great a player.... but here, give him the number 10, stick him up front on his own, we won’t bother recruiting any backup or augmenting him with other attacking talent, that will work ! Shower of fûcking idiots, Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Liam O wrote: »
    This. People are talking about him making runs and maybe there are times but he can't make runs to both the front and back post and be available for a pull back at the penalty spot. Ultimately in my opinion it's a bad cross if it doesn't go towards a player on your team and give them a chance to get to it. Unfortunately it seems players who make these 'dangerous' crosses get a lot of credit while the players who watch them sail over their head or are cut out before getting to them are blamed. How many of Man City's tap in goals are because Aguero makes these kind of runs and how many are because he has 2 or 3 others in the box affording him space to exploit?

But he doesn't seem to make any runs, no matter the situation. He basically stay dead centre. He makes it very easy for defenders. He makes it seem like he is doing the marking at times.

There was clearance yesterday by Schar I think that was applauded, because a had he not been there it would've gotten to Rashford.

However, Rashford never made an attempt to get change his path, get in front or peel off slightly. Had he done either of those he might have got to ball first had he got in front, or to the deflected ball had he drifted back and got an easy tap in.

It's head down and run. He's not alone. They're a squad full of that, people who make the simplest, easiest to predict and defend runs, so the creative players are left trying to squeeze something out of a pass or are just losing it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

The Nal wrote: »
    Hes not making the runs, hes not getting in the box, hes not demanding the ball.

Hes only 21. Pinning an expectation of an entire season of goals on him is madness.

I don’t disagree, I’m not defending Rashford but whoever we sign will struggle with the current level of creativity.

Zlatan can make something out of nothing and is also great in the air so would be a great bet.

Our best bet would be to look for someone who could get onto the end of crosses because are attacking play is diabolical and our counter attack is nonexistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Fully expecting the usual backlash, but still need to point this out anyway.....our creativity in midfield is particularly bad when Pogba doesn't play.

We all know his faults but at least he has the vision and ability to thread a through ball for the forwards or to prise defences open.
    He's a big part of the kind of counter attacking style Ole wants to put in place. The excution isn't always right but he's trying to create at least.
    I honestly couldn't tell you what Perreira and Mata have been doing in recent games.....

Some of the games without him recently (West Ham, Alkmaar and yesterday) have highlighted just how abject our midfield creativity is.

It adds to the pressure on young Forwards when they know they'll probably only get one decent chance per game. If they're lucky.

• beno619 wrote: »

I agree with the overall sentiment of your point beno but my opinion over the last couple of games is that there has been some decent delivery at times from the right / left side and every-time it comes into the box there is nobody even close to the six yard box

Zlatan has height, he has power, has a good header on him and we all know the wonder goals he can score out of nothing. (you said this already soz, just spotting and ninja edit).
    I see nothing but beneficial reasons to add him to the squad lacking goals for the short term

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I can’t really understand how Pogba being out makes the entire team fall to pieces. Take the best player or most creative out of most premier league teams and they can still function to a decent level. Some of them might even change things around to compensate.

How is it that united have absolutely no alternative players and/or tactics that they can try when he’s not available? I just find this “no creativity in the squad” very difficult to add up.

It’s like we are the only club in the world who have an entire squad that “lacks creativity”. We are the only club in the world that has to do entire rebuilds every two or three years. We are the only club in the world that has the funds to fix our problems but we just can’t get the players we need/want. Clubs with far less resources seen to be well able to have a functioning transfer policy that compliments their team/manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I agree with the overall sentiment of your point beno but my opinion over the last couple of games is that there has been some decent delivery at times from the right / left side and every-time it comes into the box there is nobody even close to the six yard box

Zlatan has height, he has power, has a good header on him and we all know the wonder goals he can score out of nothing. (you said this already soz, just spotting and ninja edit).
    I see nothing but beneficial reasons to add him to the squad lacking goals for the short term

Simple question to anybody who doubts the positives that Zlatan brings, who would he knock out of the subs bench that is a better alternative? He might actually start which might actually do more help for Rashford who could be taken out of the limelight. Zlatan is not a solution but I see nothing but positives in bringing him back. His attitude and application alone are priceless.

I do think Ole would be worried that his own authority would be undermined. Zlatan respected Jose, Ole May be intimidated with such a high profile player. He may not know how to handle him.

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    I can’t really understand how Pogba being out makes the entire team fall to pieces. Take the best player or most creative out of most premier league teams and they can still function to a decent level. Some of them might even change things around to compensate.

Because our midfield is just dire.

Perreira and Mata are contributing nothing. Lingard, before he picked up that injury, was fairly non existent too.
    Fred is having a nightmare. Matic looks over the hill.
    McTom is the only one of them coming out of recent games with any credit.

Rashford is totally devoid of any confidence and seems to be hiding at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

28 years travelling to Utd games. Prob 2 or 3 a year on average. Yesterday was the first time I saw us lose.

Zlatan is not a solution but I see nothing but positives in bringing him back. His attitude and application alone are priceless.

I do think Ole would be worried that his own authority would be undermined. Zlatan respected Jose, Ole May be intimidated with such a high profile player. He may not know how to handle him.

100% agree.

Plus, even if he doesn't/can't start many games......what a Plan B that is to have in reserve!

Our Plan B at the moment seems to be pitching 18 year olds in from the bench.....and praying they can save the day

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Because our midfield is just dire.

Perreira and Mata are contributing nothing. Lingard, before he picked up that injury, was fairly non existent too.
    Fred is having a nightmare. Matic looks over the hill.
    McTom is the only one of them coming out of recent games with any credit.

Rashford is totally devoid of any confidence and seems to be hiding at times.

Think it’s a case of the midfield not having any confidence or faith in each other, they do a lot of running and ‘leg work’ but in possession we are just dire.. no attacking threat bar trying stupid Hail Mary balls up to Rashford or towards the corner flag that drift out for a throw in or goal kick... a team of midfielders, averaging a decent game one in four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Simple question to anybody who doubts the positives that Zlatan brings, who would he knock out of the subs bench that is a better alternative? He might actually start which might actually do more help for Rashford who could be taken out of the limelight. Zlatan is not a solution but I see nothing but positives in bringing him back. His attitude and application alone are priceless.

I think Olé dug himself into a hole with “The United Way” bs. Given some of his decisions he’s made with this squad I’m sure we turned down some useful attacking options this summer who could have done a job then been moved on once the right target appeared.

• Advertisement

• Drumpot wrote: »

Agree, benefits Rashford also
    Unloads all the weight on his shoulders
    He can also be used on the left side again if zlatan is up top
    Zlatan thrives on pressure, let him have it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I don’t think he is going this week anyway. There isn’t even rumours or kites being flown to gauge opinion.

I’d say Gary Neville and friends giving good media will save him for awhile. A miraculous win against Liverpool could end up changing his whole life story but that’s me trying my best to support the United manager.

Usually going into a Liverpool game there would be a bit of nerves for me but I’m fairly nonchalant about the game to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Agree, benefits Rashford also
    Unloads all the weight on his shoulders
    He can also be used on the left side again if zlatan is up top
    Zlatan thrives on pressure, let him have it

Zlatan is 39 next birthday. I admire the guy but to be hunting for an aged stop gap option who is in semi retirement in the US at this stage is not the way to go. He always had a great attitude, thrived on pressure but now we need I think to be looking for players in their prime or approaching it over these stop gap solutions... it might cost money ! YES... so fûckin what, we are Manchester United, you need to speculate to accumulate, invest before you can look for a reward, performances generally equal results and we need the talent to deliver now performances week in week out.... a 39 year old kicking it over in the MLS.... that ship has sailed, that’s why he is in the MLS....we need a fit, dynamic, fast, strong all round fast and physical forward... it’s going to cost but now we are counting the cost of not investing correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

I said a couple of weeks ago, that even if Zlatan didn't play 1 second of football for us, he could be the best signing of the season.

His attitude, will to win, confidence, desire and experience around the squad and training ground could be invaluable.

Who is Chong, Gomes, Greenwood, etc looking up to? Lingard? Pogba? Young? That's the state of United at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I said a couple of weeks ago, that even if Zlatan didn't play 1 second of football for us, he could be the best signing of the season.

His attitude, will to win, confidence, desire and experience around the squad and training ground could be invaluable.

Who is Chong, Gomes, Greenwood, etc looking up to? Lingard? Pogba? Young? That's the state of United at the moment.

Might as well make Zlatan manager so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

https://mobile.twitter.com/utdarena/status/1181268032267673600?s=20

Way too many ranked 18th holy sh!t

Relegation it is..

https://mobile.twitter.com/utdarena/status/1181268032267673600?s=20

Way too many ranked 18th holy sh!t

Relegation it is..

This one is fairly telling:

Rank 15th in through ball attempts per 90 (5.80) and 20th in through ball accuracy (20.0%)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,624 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I'm probably way to naive but I expected him to be gone today.

If this happened to any other top club after this brutal start to the season and this embarrassing defeat yesterday, it wouldn't be up for a discussion/debate he would be gone

Why must utd be different than the likes of the Juve's, the Bayern Munich, the R.Madrids of this world . They wouldn't put up this and just end the experiment

• Advertisement

I saw that there’s a good chance Liverpool will catch up with us in revenue by the end of next summer.

A shocking change in momentum unfolding before our eyes.

We are like penguins looking at the titanic heading into the iceberg, helpless.

A mass walkout when we lose to them in two weeks might do some good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Headshot wrote: »
    I'm probably way to naive but I expected him to be gone today.

My head is all over the place with it tbh.

I'd hoped he would go today. At the same time, I can see that no new manager will be installed before the Liverpool game (what manager would want THAT to be their first). Similarly, if he does go, I'd say they will want his replacement appointed super quick. Which is an issue if the favorite is currently employed elsewhere. With Poch, there's the added issue that waiting a few days might save the club 20-30m in fees too.

At the same time....there's a really eerie silence in the media about it. With Jose and LVG, there was weeks and weeks of papers trying to be the first to announce they were gone. The usual journalists were giving briefings left and right, some obviously leaked from the club. With Ole, there's absolutely nothing. Not even the rags trying to jump the gun.

I'm not sure if thats a good or bad thing. Do they think if they stay quiet, they might get better access when it does happen? Are they preparing in the shadows? Or is it genuinely that Ole is so super secure, they know there's no point even writing the fiction?

Lord TSC wrote: »
    My head is all over the place with it tbh.

I'd hoped he would go today. At the same time, I can see that no new manager will be installed before the Liverpool game (what manager would want THAT to be their first). Similarly, if he does go, I'd say they will want his replacement appointed super quick. Which is an issue if the favorite is currently employed elsewhere. With Poch, there's the added issue that waiting a few days might save the club 20-30m in fees too.

At the same time....there's a really eerie silence in the media about it. With Jose and LVG, there was weeks and weeks of papers trying to be the first to announce they were gone. The usual journalists were giving briefings left and right, some obviously leaked from the club. With Ole, there's absolutely nothing. Not even the rags trying to jump the gun.

I'm not sure if thats a good or bad thing. Do they think if they stay quiet, they might get better access when it does happen? Are they preparing in the shadows? Or is it genuinely that Ole is so super secure, they know there's no point even writing the fiction?

That's a very valid point. There was so much paper talk especially on Jose going but barely a peep out of the Ole situation.

This club can't barely keep a secret at the best of times so to me it's bad news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I think Olug himself into a hole with “The United Way” bs. Given some of his decisions he’s made with this squad I’m sure we turned down some useful attacking options this summer who could have done a job then been moved on once the right target appeared.

This would be my thought.

It might be a fine and noble goal to not want to buy players for the sake of it, but that was also hopelessly naive and misguided.

Said it many times, airy fairy dreams of all the kids coming together were never going to survive the reality of PL football.

xtal191 wrote: »

Amazing quote 8 games into the season

After Liverpool, 6 of the next 8 games are Away.

That's a very depressing thought :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭billyhead

I would of thought he would walk today too for the good of the club i.e by mutual agreement with a golden handshake. I reckon its only a matter of time but Ed Woodward will want to try and save face and hope things turn around as the massive turnover in managers is very embarrassing. They could be waiting for Pocchetino to get the sack or walk and have less money to pay to get him on board.We wont win our next game anyway so if we get a hiding from the Pool he may get sacked after that or there is also the view that he has so many injured players out hat our fortunes may turn around when they are back. Its the false hope that kills you:P

Whoever's fault it is, it is inexcusable that we didn't sign Bruno Fernandes during the Summer. Not that he alone would make much difference, but it would have shown intent to fix the MF/attack which has been allowed go to complete shíte.

• Advertisement

Omg this is frightening

We could be in the bottom 4 by January and you cannot fix what's broken in January as it's a horrible window to work in anyway

This is a mad idea but how about fixing the problem now and just part ways with Ole?

I dont like this one bit asking for one of my favourite players to be sacked and a genuine nice guy but the team comes first its very broken at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Hopefully with the return of a few players after the international break we can start getting a few decent results. Hard to know where we go re Ole. Cant keep getting in interim managers while waiting for the right one. That's just repeating the mistakes of the last 5 years. Try get to Jan and get in players. His 3 are arguably the best potentially of the last 4 or 5 years whether he had input it's hard to know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

This is the club laying the ground work and getting the fans used to the idea that Ole will be sacked in a fortnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,554 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

You just have to laugh :pac:

The absolute incompetence of the club is crazy

Whoever's fault it is, it is inexcusable that we didn't sign Bruno Fernandes during the Summer. Not that he alone would make much difference, but it would have shown intent to fix the MF/attack which has been allowed go to complete sh.

True. We lose Herrera and Fellani and hope to rely on Mata who doesn't have the legs anymore and Perreira who is ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Judging by way club is run they prob bring back Jose on a 6 year contract, give him an extension after two weeks and sack him after four, paying him 400m in the process

What manager wouldn't want the United job it's a win win. Do well , great, do bad make millions

• Advertisement

billyhead wrote: »
    I would of thought he would walk today too for the good of the club i.e by mutual agreement with a golden handshake. I reckon its only a matter of time but Ed Woodward will want to try and save face and hope things turn around as the massive turnover in managers is very embarrassing. They could be waiting for Pocchetino to get the sack or walk and have less money to pay to get him on board.We wont win our next game anyway so if we get a hiding from the Pool he may get sacked after that or there is also the view that he has so many injured players out hat our fortunes may turn around when they are back. Its the false hope that kills you:P

I think if we loose to Liverpool there is a real good chance that he might be in an untenable position... on the back of the Newcastle performance, the seasons results so far to loose at home to Liverpool sees Ole gone, if not I can see the beginning of a revolt. I’d have preferred too Ole to come out in the press after these games instead of this fûcking limp wristed PR bullshît that isn’t designed to but IS pissing on the fans, their loyalty and intelligence something along the lines of....

“yep, scoring goals is continuing to be difficult for us. We don’t at the minute have the necessary firepower to guarantee us the desired return and results and it’s having a detrimental impact on our ability to score goals. I’d have liked to have been able to with the backing of the club add an additional couple of players to help address this but it hasn’t been possible.... we’ll of course continue to try and utilize the squad to the best that we can but I think further investments are necessary to augment this young talented squad to enable us to consistently win games to satisfy the expectations of ourselves, the fans and the entire club”...

billyhead wrote: »
    Laughable if true.

He’d have fit right in.

Hopefully with the return of a few players after the international break we can start getting a few decent results. Hard to know where we go re Ole. Cant keep getting in interim managers while waiting for the right one. That's just repeating the mistakes of the last 5 years. Try get to Jan and get in players. His 3 are arguably the best potentially of the last 4 or 5 years whether he had input it's hard to know

This could be his saving grace.

No Pogba for 5 of the last 7 games. Martial has been out for a while too.
    I know these guys have their flaws for sure but simply put, we're a better side with these guys in it, than what we've seen in the last few fixtures.

Its still crazy the club thought we could release Lukaku and Sanchez in the space of a few weeks and replace them with.....nobody.
    It was always going to come back and bite us.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement