Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    Yes. The hilt. Last time I looked they were still the owners of the club, therefore, they did spend their money. I've already listed some of the disastrous signings made by numerous managers over the past 7 years, are they all the fault of the owners? Seriously?

For a fan whos club was recently owned under similar circumstances, you'd think you'd have a better grasp of how bad it could get.

The owners are a serious issue.

If not, then Hick and Gillette can hardly be blamed for the sh!tshow that the caused. But you're just posting nonsense really.

The only recurring thing in all of this is the club's upper hierarchy.

They were fortunate Ferguson stuck around as long as he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Weepsie wrote: »
    For a fan whos club was recently owned under similar circumstances, you'd think you'd have a better grasp of how bad it could get.

The owners are a serious issue.

If not, then Hick and Gillette can hardly be blamed for the sh!tshow that the caused. But you're just posting nonsense really.

The only recurring thing in all of this is the club's upper hierarchy.

They were fortunate Ferguson stuck around as long as he did.

You're comparing Hicks and Gillette to the Glazers? A pair of shysters who nearly drove LFC into administration? Really? The mind boggles.

And I'm the one posting nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I just can't see us getting relegated.

However, much stranger things have happened. Leicester won the league so the unlikely can happen.

I do like that Ole is giving some youth players a chance, but the only thing Neville (who pisses me off these days) was right about last night is that young players need to be in a squad WITH world class players. They need to supplement the squad, not be the squad.

Also whoever is over fitness needs to go, can't be having this many injuries when our players don't even press or run hard.

Owners: Stealing from the club
    Board: Incapable of making footballing decisions
    Manager: Out of his depth
    Players: Overpaid and Overrated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,020 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    However, much stranger things have happened. Leicester won the league so the unlikely can happen.

There aren't many worse starting 11s than that yesterday. Fred and McTominay as centre mids and no striker in the whole squad. Right down there with relegation threatened teams in terms of quality.

Ole needs to swallow his pride and get Zlatan in until the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    I just can't see us getting relegated.

I do like that Ole is giving some youth players a chance, but the only thing Neville (who pisses me off these days) was right about last night is that young players need to be in a squad WITH world class players. They need to supplement the squad, not be the squad.

Also whoever is over fitness needs to go, can't be having this many injuries when our players don't even press or run hard.

Owners: Stealing from the club
    Board: Incapable of making footballing decisions
    Manager: Out of his depth
    Players: Overpaid and Overrated

You know, relegation might end the cancer of the Glazers and Woodward. So it might be the best thing that could happen. Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd f*****g take it, if it meant getting rid of that shower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,344 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The Nal wrote: »
    There aren't many worse starting 11s than that yesterday. Fred and McTominay as centre mids and no striker in the whole squad. Right down there with relegation threatened teams in terms of quality.

Ole needs to swallow his pride and get Zlatan in until the summer.

Can sign better than Zlatan for January tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

People just aren’t getting the criticism correct for me

The problem with the club is the decision making across the board for the last decade

The decision not to reinvest the Ronaldo money
    The decision not to build on the sustained success we saw between 2007-2012 and let the squad get to where it was in 2014
    The decision to appoint Moyes
    The decision to give Moyes little funds
    The decision to subsequently sack Moyes
    The decision to start buying past it superstars for ridiculous fees & wages
    The decision to give Jose a new contract
    The decision not to back Jose properly after decent progress
    The decision to sack Jose
    The decision to give Ole a permanent contract
    The decision to give Rashford and Martial superstar wages
    The decision to sell 4+ first team players, replace them with 2, and expect the season to go well

We’ve spent 3/400 million less than City and you could say that is within the billion that the Glazers have leached from the club, but we‘ve spent enough to not be in the bottom half of the fúcking table.

When we’ve spent money we’ve spent it badly and at that wrong times, again it’s the decision making that is the issue, who has presided over all of the decisions above? Ed Woodward.

I can understand why Gary Neville wants to focus on these people at the club and not hang his mate. Because blaming Ole now even if he needs to be sacked is missing the point, we are an 8th place club currently 12th and that is on Ole, but the fact that we are an 8th place club in the first place is the major issue and the Glazers are the reason.

Liam O wrote: »
    Can sign better than Zlatan for January tbh.

Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

BDI wrote: »
    There has been two or three games and each game it starts worse. Is a man allowed change his mind and admit he was wrong or should I stick to my guns and demand he is kept and keep repeating how it’s going to get better as we slide down the divisions because you think changing my mind is trolling?

He was dealt a dreadful hand I was looking at the dreadful signings over the years, schneiderlinn for god sake rojo smalling darmian just years and years of players who arnt world class or even close to it, Lindelof and Fred for frick sake.

Ole has been dealt a horrible hand there’s no doubt about that but it’s time we realized there’s people out there that can do better.

Of course you can, just surprised it took you only a matter of hours to do so, despite being so positive about things prior......even to the point of saying no proper fans post here anymore!! There is plenty of us here who have been voicing our concerns for months only to be shot down as being pessimistic. We are in massive trouble and have been for months.

Who?

Well West Ham and Aston Villa signed strikers during the summer there who have scored 4 PL goals each so far. Pukki has scored a few too. The bar isn't that high. Zlatan would come in for what, 6 months and not have near the physical attributes to change anything about the attack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Of course you can, just surprised it took you only a matter of hours to do so, despite being so positive about things prior......even to the point of saying no proper fans post here anymore!! There is plenty of us here who have been voicing our concerns for months only to be shot down as being pessimistic. We are in massive trouble and have been for months.

Just trying to get behind the team, I suppose. Final straw has been the two European games and Newcastle. I honestly didn’t think the arsenal match was as terrible as people are saying.

• Liam O wrote: »
    Well West Ham and Aston Villa signed strikers during the summer there who have scored 4 PL goals each so far. Pukki has scored a few too. The bar isn't that high. Zlatan would come in for what, 6 months and not have near the physical attributes to change anything about the attack.

Haha Physical attributes? At 38 years of age I'd be more confident he would provide a better effort than any of our strikers currently
    He would be inside the 6 yard box for a start when the ball arrives into it unlike Rashford
    He still can score goals and great ones out of nothing at that and is still scoring for fun
    He's a real leader
    He could possible help keep us afloat for those six months to prevent us from getting relegated

Outside of getting onto crosses Zlantan would be too slow now for the premiership he arguably was when he was with us last and he hasnt got any quicker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

A few posters think we will be able to sign a striker in January to help us .
    My only concerns is who will want to join this squad. And how much are we going to have to pay both fee and wages for a striker that can realistically make an impact.
    Personally I don't think a world class striker will make one bit of difference with the quality of squad we have. To many mediocre players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Haha Physical attributes? At 38 years of age I'd be more confident he would provide a better effort than any of our strikers currently
    He would be inside the 6 yard box for a start when the ball arrives into it unlike Rashford
    He still can score goals and great ones out of nothing at that and is still scoring for fun
    He's a real leader
    He could possible help keep us afloat for those six months to prevent us from getting relegated

I'd take him back in a heartbeat, we are so bereft of leadership.....and someone who quite simply knows where the back of the net is.

That said, I'd say there is zero chance of it happening.
    Would undermine the supposed philosophy of looking to youth, rebuilding, etc.

• Outside of getting onto crosses Zlantan would be too slow now for the premiership he arguably was when he was with us last and he hasnt got any quicker

To be clear, he would be simply part of an extremely short term plan along with sacking Ole and bringing in somebody experienced to steady the ship and keep us in the top half of the league.
    What I will say he's obtainable for the short term and he will improve our squad.
    If someone can identify an available Striker who could do better I'm all ears tbh

We need a tonne of players but this has gotten to the stage of at first putting band aids all over the current mess before we can even consider the surgery.

Why would Zlatan be too slow? He was never very quick. But hes big and powerful with more than a nose for goal and the positions he takes up are incredible.

He will score goals. Guaranteed. Always in the box looking for a goal. Scores penos, free kicks, unbeatable in the air, great at holding up the ball. One of the best ever at that. Fit as a fiddle at the moment.

Honestly baffled by the resistance to him coming in for 25 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭limnam

Why would Zlatan be too slow? He was never very quick. But hes big and powerful with more than a nose for goal and the positions he takes up are incredible.

He will score goals. Guaranteed. Always in the box looking for a goal. Scores penos, free kicks, unbeatable in the air, great at holding up the ball. One of the best ever at that. Fit as a fiddle at the moment.

Chop your arm off to get him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

GSPfan wrote: »
    Just watching the Ronaldo Piers Morgan interview. Ronaldo is such a likeable bloke. He’s an absolute sporting god.

Dealt with.

limnam wrote: »
    Chop your arm off to get him back.

Ole should!

We don't want this? Don't want him training with James and Rashford every day and them learning from him? The winners mentality, the skill, the aggression?

• Advertisement

• Scoundrel wrote: »
    And an admitted rapist

Really? Source?

Slow to get away shots, slow to move, slow to run with the ball, he might have been slow before but everyone reaches that point no matter how good you are technically

Slow to get away shots, slow to move, slow to run with the ball, he might have been slow before but everyone reaches that point no matter how good you are technically

Those videos from above are from the last few weeks. Granted its MLS but theres nothing slow about him getting shots away.

Anyway the point is that hes still miles better than whats there currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Why would you think he'd come back to such a mess?

Looks like he's having a great time in LA

Those videos from above are from the last few weeks. Granted its MLS but theres nothing slow about him getting shots away.

Anyway the point is that hes still miles better than whats there currently.

Thats the thing it is the mls, more time, teams not as tactically aware, more space he will look way better then he really is, there is a reason lads go to the mls and its they can no longer compete at the highedt level, he would be great for a plan b alright but thatd be ghe height of it tbh

marvin80 wrote: »
    Why would you think he'd come back to such a mess?

Looks like he's having a great time in LA

He said he would a few weeks ago and his contract is up.

"I could play easy in the Premier League, so if United needs me, I'm here"
    Thats the thing it is the mls, more time, teams not as tactically aware, more space he will look way better then he really is, there is a reason lads go to the mls and its they can no longer compete at the highedt level, he would be great for a plan b alright but thatd be ghe height of it tbh

Oh no question but hes a nice plan B. And lets face it, its not like plan A is any good. People are talking about relegation!

Wait until we get annihilated by Liverpool in a few weeks. It may take that to make Ole realise the utter crisis thats happening at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭54and56

Weepsie wrote: »
    They're gambling on the value of the brand staying strong, when doing so will rely on sporting success.

But depressingly football fans are probably the most "sticky" customers in the world and financial owners like the Glazers both understand and are more than happy to exploit that loyalty.

Long term sporting failure will hit them in terms of declining revenue and profits but short term it doesn't as the last 5-7 years have clearly shown.

It would require Utd to be mid table and not within a sniff of top 6 (never mind top 4) for several (4-5) years in a row before the long tail of declining revenue would actually hit the Glazers.

• Advertisement

I love Zlatan and lament the lack of such a character in our dressing room, but some people are seriously overrating the quality of MLS v the PL I think.

He left at the right time. At least our best period in the post-Fergie era came with him and Jose and it's good to have those memories. Sort of like when we got Henrik Larrson for a spell.

• I love Zlatan and lament the lack of such a character in our dressing room, but some people are seriously overrating the quality of MLS v the PL I think.

He left at the right time. At least our best period in the post-Fergie era came with him and Jose and it's good to have those memories. Sort of like when we got Henrik Larrson for a spell.
    Not in a smart way Stu but I'd go as far as to say this current Utd side tactically and structurally would even struggle in the MLS
    Again to be clear, it's really not a case of anything other than an extremely short term boost without being robbed blind for bottom half of the PL / Championship level players in a panic and adding them to the ranks of dross we already have.
    If we continue to build and add that level of player to this team we are where we are for that very reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭54and56

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    This is the bit I don't get - money has been spent and a functioning team has not been produced, what am I missing here?

I just don't see how money is the problem for United right now?

I think Utd fans are rightly targeting the Glazers for mismanaging the club but for the wrong reason.

Regardless of the financial model they use to finance the club (which they effectively own so it's all theirs one way or another) there's no question the Glazers have sanctioned big spending since SAF left and big wages relative to their competitors who right now are City, Pool, Spurs and Chelsea.

The mismanagement as I see it is the Glazers judge Woodwards performance purely in financial terms and not sporting terms and it needs to be both.

At the other extreme you have owners who throw the kitchen sink at trying to achieve sporting success.
    Leeds under Peter Ridsdale being the most high profile example in recent(ish) times where they went all in, gambled everything and lost resulting in a tail spin they still haven't recovered from. Rangers in Scotland and Portsmouth also tick similar boxes.

Liverpool, as was referenced above, currently have owners who set both financial and sporting targets for their designated CEO and they hold him to account in relation to these.

Woodward has no such worries and it shows.

Might as well get Robbie Keane in too.

Arsenal were able to get Lacazette and Aubameyang when they were at a low ebb. Auba in January. There's no reason why United shouldn't be able to attract top talent. People have to stop looking backwards for solutions. It's what has the club where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

That's an article of accusations of rape coming from Kathryn Mayorga
    You said Ronaldo admitted it. Source?

there is another, much earlier version. It is the document that could have serious consequences for Ronaldo. It was sent via email in September 2009. The sender was a lawyer from Osório de Castro's firm. The recipients were Osório de Castro himself and an additional colleague.

In response to the question as to whether Ms. C. ever raised her voice, screamed or called out, X responded, according to the document: "She said no and stop several times."

In the document, X says that she was lying on her side. "I entered her from behind. It was rude. We didn't change position. 5/7 minutes. She said that she didn't want to, but she made herself available." And further: "But she kept saying 'No.' 'Don't do it.' 'I'm not like the others.' I apologized afterwards."

Pretty clear he says she said no and stop several times he continued that's rape.

I love Zlatan and lament the lack of such a character in our dressing room, but some people are seriously overrating the quality of MLS v the PL I think.

Larson scored 3 goals for us. Zlatan scored 28 goals in his first season.

Has he really deteriorated that much in 2 years that hes worthless to the current squad?

Not overrating the MLS quality but Giggs played until he was 40. Put in a few good shifts too. 40 year old Giggs would be a starter in this current Utd team.

• Advertisement

Not in a smart way Stu but I'd go as far as to say this current Utd side tactically and structurally would even struggle in the MLS
    Again to be clear, it's really not a case of anything other than an extremely short term boost without being robbed blind for bottom half of the PL / Championship level players in a panic and adding them to the ranks of dross we already have.
    If we continue to build and add that level of player to this team we are where we are for that very reason.

That is a fair point.

There are lads who meet up for astroturf and pick random teams who play with more cohesion than the current United crop. It's impossible to gauge what Ole and the team are actually doing on the training ground.

Hey, if Zlatan comes back in January, I definitely won't be giving out.

• Liam O wrote: »
    Might as well get Robbie Keane in too.

Arsenal were able to get Lacazette and Aubameyang when they were at a low ebb. Auba in January. There's no reason why United shouldn't be able to attract top talent. People have to stop looking backwards for solutions. It's what has the club where it is.

Liam O

Please name this top talent you keep telling us about!

Larson scored 3 goals for us. Zlatan scored 28 goals in his first season.

Has he really deteriorated that much in 2 years that hes worthless to the current squad?

Not overrating the MLS quality but Giggs played until he was 40. Put in a few good shifts too. 40 year old Giggs would be a starter in this current Utd team.

I don't think he'd be worthless at all, just feel that we wouldn't see the same output as he is currently producing in MLS. I could be wrong, it happens :pac:

Edit: That first season with us, he had Pogba (in his 'best' United form so far) constantly seeking him out. They worked quite well together. Since then, Pogba's form has fallen off a cliff and buried itself beneath the ocean floor. Also, I'd say Zlatan has much better support and service at LA Galaxy than he would get in the current United team, our lads can't create chances regularly to save their lives.

You'd nearly love to see him come back just for the bollicking he'd inevitably give these...players.

• Scoundrel wrote: »
    there is another, much earlier version. It is the document that could have serious consequences for Ronaldo. It was sent via email in September 2009. The sender was a lawyer from Osório de Castro's firm. The recipients were Osório de Castro himself and an additional colleague.

In response to the question as to whether Ms. C. ever raised her voice, screamed or called out, X responded, according to the document: "She said no and stop several times."

In the document, X says that she was lying on her side. "I entered her from behind. It was rude. We didn't change position. 5/7 minutes. She said that she didn't want to, but she made herself available." And further: "But she kept saying 'No.' 'Don't do it.' 'I'm not like the others.' I apologized afterwards."

Pretty clear he says she said no and stop several times he continued that's rape.

That's not what you said.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    You're comparing Hicks and Gillette to the Glazers? A pair of shysters who nearly drove LFC into administration? Really? The mind boggles.

And I'm the one posting nonsense?

They are running the club in basically the same way. Man Utd had a much stabler footing and a once in a generational manager to give them grounding than Liverpool at the time.

If the Glazers had bought Liverpool and run it similarly, there would have been a similar problem to what happened with Hicks and Gillett because Liverpool's profile and reach in pure marketing terms, despite their history of success was not the same.

If Hicks and Gilette came in now, they'd probably be able to make a success of it for a couple of years as the brand, income, team etc has strengthened so much through direct investement. That's not happened at Man Utd.

• Advertisement

I don't think he'd be worthless at all, just feel that we wouldn't see the same output as he is currently producing in MLS. I could be wrong, it happens :pac:

Not as much as me!

Im not thinking he'll score every game but he'll score more and be more of a threat than anyone there at the moment.

Anyway I think it'll happen if Ole is there or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Maybe a separate thread for the Ronaldo rape trial stuff ?

jaykay74 wrote: »

Maybe a separate thread for the Ronaldo rape trial stuff ?

Yeah, where the fúck did that come from? :confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Scoundrel wrote: »

And what, praytell has that got to do with your initial claim - even why you posted it in the first place, as Ronaldo does not play for Manchester United and has not done since 2009 - 10 years ago :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

14 years the Glazers have been in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

Liam O

Please name this top talent you keep telling us about!

Not my job to identify the players. Do you think there's nobody that would be better than Zlatan who would be attainable in January? Summer gone could have gotten Icardi and maybe Dybala if there wasn't so much faffing around. Werner has a low release clause but is probably off to Bayern. What about Belotti? He might feel he's ready for the step up.

On the right wing in recent seasons there's too many to name who could have improved United. Maybe make West Ham an offer for Yarmolenko but buying from PL teams has become a nightmare. On the going for past players note could go in for Zaha or Memphis again. Though it again shows that the grass seems to be greener once they leave United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

nullzero wrote: »
    Relegation on our current form could well be on the cards.

The only thing we have in our favour to change things is money. Should we bring in a goalscorer in January we could potentially save ourselves.

A goal scorer needs chances !

For all the abuse Rashford is getting it’s not like he get 3/4 big chances a game, he might get one if lucky. No forward will prosper under those conditions.

beno619 wrote: »
    A goal scorer needs chances !

For all the abuse Rashford is getting it’s not like he get 3/4 big chances a game, he might get one if lucky. No forward will prosper under those conditions.

Hes not making the runs, hes not getting in the box, hes not demanding the ball.

Hes only 21. Pinning an expectation of an entire season of goals on him is madness.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement