Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,206 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Marty Bird wrote: »
    Read about what? Your club has been given vast sums of money from your owners. The mangers have spent that money. But some how results/performances are down to this?

Yes, read about all that. How many more times would you need to be told it?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

We may make a soap opera out of this thread lads to entertain ourselves in the interim. We just might have trouble settling on character names :pac:

Ole to be sacrificed at the alter in a fortnight’s time and the next act in the Ed’s Reds fiasco to begin. Hopefully the final one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Disgusted with today. Just disgusted, wafer thin squad. How has he let it get to this point? To put this pressure on Academy players is also terrible management.

These players should be coming into a side that are winning and playing cannon fodder not trying to dig us out of a rut.

**** me he needs to go

• https://twitter.com/MrTomMcDermott/status/1180902322622345217?s=19

Twitter is lit tonight, sorry for all the posts but important to share imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

No away win since PSG,of course the ex players will defend Ole as he's their mate but a point comes where it becomes indefensible.
    When a kid on his debut makes a mockery of our midfield then that point has come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Just watching the Ronaldo Piers Morgan interview. Ronaldo is such a likeable bloke. He’s an absolute sporting god.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1180978540424187905?s=19

Did Ed sign Tampax up as a sponsor yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Always want Utd to lose but I genuinely feel sorry for De Gea. Looks like he really cares and can't express how sorry he is to the fans. At a complete loss as to why they are where they are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Whatever about the money, the Glaziers have allowed Woodward to oversee the utter destruction of the club. They’ve never stepped in to remove Woodward, who is the man in charge of every failing that has happened. And the only reason for that is that they are ok with what’s happened us.

So they show an utter lack of respect for the club by refusing to deal with the issues at a board level.

Remove Woodward?

The owners love him. He got them through the door, he gets them huge dividends. They dont care what happens on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

BDI wrote: »
    Sadly I’m worried about getting relegated now.

Blanc
    Wenger
    Jose
    Rodgers
    Benitez would all get this team to safety.

Maybe I’m panicking but to see man utd out of ideas unable to break down a near definite relegated Newcastle is scary.

Can another manager get goals out of these lads.

I’ll sleep on it before I officially change my stance to ole out. I respect the fella as a player and a person too much to make a snap decision but what other option is there?

100/1 today, sadly, you missed out on 200/1 yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The damage is done unfortunately

We could be in serious bother this season, even a new manager might not have any more luck than Ole is having.

The quality of the squad is just shocking and the pressure is mounting for them to justify their ridiculous wages which means they are being reckless on the field, you look at us conceding from our own corner today to lose the game.

That kind of recklessness is what you’d expect out of Brighton a few weeks from the end of the season to get out of the relegation zone, not from the highest paid squad in the league 8 games into the season. It’s panic stations now.

I think a bottom half finish is on the cards but realistically it’s an impossible task to get relegated, we will pick up 30 more points from the 90 available surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

I think a bottom half finish is on the cards but realistically it’s an impossible task to get relegated, we will pick up 30 more points from the 90 available surely.

Amazing to read this sentence in a Man Utd thread and for it to be ge genuine. How has it gotten to this? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,813 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Sadly I’m worried about getting relegated now.

Blanc
    Wenger
    Jose
    Rodgers
    Benitez would all get this team to safety.

Maybe I’m panicking but to see man utd out of ideas unable to break down a near definite relegated Newcastle is scary.

Can another manager get goals out of these lads.

I’ll sleep on it before I officially change my stance to ole out. I respect the fella as a player and a person too much to make a snap decision but what other option is there?

It’s the all out of ideas part that is terribly worrying. A group of professionals who seeming when thrown together on that pitch have no ideas about how to create an opportunity to put the ball in the opposition net.

It’s like a bunch of cavemen looking at a spaceship for fûcks sake not a clue between them...

Let’s hire a guy to do a managers job who despite being a success as a player is yet to gain the experience or present the kind of aptitude that is demanded of a United manager...

Gone from a guy with a decent football brain all be it with the personality of a one legged rapist to a guy with seemingly very little going on upstairs, very little experience and very little to suggest he could or should have been given the job...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,336 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Looking forward to seeing what approx €150M of Longstaff's will get you these days....

2 very decent players it seems...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,813 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

We just got to somehow get the fûck away from 4-6-0...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭thomasj

Just to point out in the league table of home games played, we're level on points with city on 7. On away games , we're level on points with Spurs :eek: on 2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

PARlance wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing what approx €150M of Longstaff's will get you these days....

2 very decent players it seems...

2 very average players who just happened to come up against a midfield with worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Neville after the Chelsea game.
    "We're not that far away from where we wanna be"
    Neville after Palace game.
    "We need 3 or 4 players to compete"
    After today's game.
    "We need 6 or 7 players"
    And he's arguing with Souness about a "change of direction"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

We could be in serious bother this season, even a new manager might not have any more luck than Ole is having.

The quality of the squad is just shocking and the pressure is mounting for them to justify their ridiculous wages which means they are being reckless on the field, you look at us conceding from our own corner today to lose the game.

That kind of recklessness is what you’d expect out of Brighton a few weeks from the end of the season to get out of the relegation zone, not from the highest paid squad in the league 8 games into the season. It’s panic stations now.

Unless something changes dramatically I think relegation is a real worry especially after the de gea interview. Really sad to watch. Another worrying factor is that we are now a team which other teams see as an easy 3 points, ok some of the teams below us haven't got many world class players but neither have we but what they do have is passion,pride, and work ethic,something our squad has lost. Very hard to put into text what I think of Woodward and glaziers with out incurring a ban,but they have to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,963 ✭✭✭billyhead

Not looking forward to meeting smug pool fans at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I’d say he’s gone. Heart broken for the man, I want to say give him till Christmas atleast but it’s fairly scary now at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Relegation on our current form could well be on the cards.

The only thing we have in our favour to change things is money. Should we bring in a goalscorer in January we could potentially save ourselves.

The much maligned move to bring zlatan back could be a serious option in terms of getting a leader with the qualities of a winner back into the dressing room,although we'd require a younger option to operate up front on a Week in week out basis.

Glazers Out!

• https://www.football365.com/news/man-united-hit-rock-bottom-then-just-excavate-further

"Man United hit rock-bottom…then just excavate further"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

billyhead wrote: »
    Not looking forward to meeting smug pool fans at work.

Call them title favourites. That'll terrify them.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

17 points in 17 games while Liverpool have hit a perfect 51. That's not good enough, luck, injuries and whatever go out the window when it's that bad

Giving that we're toying with the idea of relegation here for united....

How do you feel about the possibility of crystal palace or Burnley getting champions league football next season?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

thomasj wrote: »
    How do you feel about the possibility of crystal palace or Burnley getting champions league football next season?

I dunno, maybe a topic for another thread?

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I dunno, maybe a topic for another thread?

My point is the same league that has united 2 points off relegation , and Spurs 4 points off relegation has crystal palace and Burney a win off a champions league spot.

Can you take a premier league table that after only 8 games is showing this sort of trend seriously ?

2 wins in the next 2 matches against Liverpool (I know lala land) and Norwich could have them in the top 6!

• Man Utd have only managed to achieve a total of 33 shots on target in this seasons Premier League.
    Man City have scored 27 actual goals in the same time frame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

As usual with Neville these days some sense but mostly papering over the ole sized.

We all know that the board have been crap but surely most people realise that a manager who’s success is at molde and relegated Cardiff is not good enough

All these ex players are making themselves extremely unlikeale to me past few years

https://twitter.com/skysportspl/status/1181106634527051782?s=21

My point is the same league that has united 2 points off relegation , and Spurs 4 points off relegation has crystal palace and Burney a win off a champions league spot.

Can you take a premier league table that after only 8 games is showing this sort of trend seriously ?

2 wins in the next 2 matches against Liverpool (I know lala land) and Norwich could have them in the top 6!

8 games is a short cycle but if you have watched the 8 games you'll notice we don't make chances, we don't score goals, we don't have options to change that due to the squad makeup. In our last 10 matches we have scored either 0 or 1 goal, that is probably lower than it will average over a 38 game season but we won't score enough goals to make top 6 or potentially even top 10.

Ole has nearly had half a season as permanent manager and in that time has shown relegation type stats. I think we will finish somewhere 8-14th with our defence saving us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

From the article linked earlier:
    Put in charge of a project destined to fail is one thing, but Solskjaer has fallen short of even the barest minimums during his reign
    Something easily forgotten by some people. You can talk about putting a roof on expectations during a rebuild, but there should be a floor as well and Ole has fallen right through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,978 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Has the form from last season gone out to the window also this run is not based on 8 games but since he was made permanent as the manager

We can't even say we are getting bad luck or keepers are having stormers we literally create nothing going forward

Lukaku and Fellaini offered goals and some very important goals these were scapegoats who were not replaced and look at the impact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

The biggest problem for Ole, as I see it, is his lack of credentials and the fact that no United fan should reasonably trust the owners on any capacity when it comes to their motives (and competency)for hiring him. Woodward/Glazers have been clueless since they have had to take over the reigns , every football related decision with managers and transfers and non existent football strategies has been an abject failure.

To spend as much as they have an to be in this position takes some amount of incompetency but they’ve bucked the trend. Were we run by fans , like Barca or Madrid, Woodward would of been gone after his first transfer summer when he fumbled about all summer and then paid more for a player who available cheaper earlier on in the season. This proved without doubt that Fellaini wasn’t a top target and pretty much set out going forward how damaging Woodward was going to be to the clubs ambitions.

How many players have been properly scouted ? (Why are the joining?) What are players promised when they join and are these realistic targets ? (EPL challange etc?) How many players were ones the manager wanted? How much does Woodward interfere? Who decided last season not to back Jose? What credentials did they have to make that call? These are big questions. All we need to do is look at Chelsea and now Liverpool and ask ourselves how can these clubs do so much better with similar to less budgets? Hell even Leicester city have won a league and are now in great shape , even though we bought one of their best defenders.

There really is absolutely NO other explanation then the club is being run very very poorly. You have to be completely stupid to think the problems since SAF retired are all just bad managers and every player they have signed somehow are just not good enough. The issues are obviously so much deeper then that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm travelling over for the Brighton game on the 10th Nov. I was hoping for a win. After this weekend, I'm hoping we don't get hammered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I must say there are also some turncoats in here who are now preaching impending doom when they were laughing off my posts after Ole’s “good run” and during the summer when I said this would happen.

• Eamonn Sweeney this morning in the independent

"The pussyfooting of the Old Trafford old pals' brigade can't obscure the fact that their former team-mate is out of his depth"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I must say there are also some turncoats in here who are now preaching impending doom when they were laughing off my posts after Ole’s “good run” and during the summer when I said this would happen.

As I said previously, the United fanbase outside of the matchgoing fans is toxic right now and would drag the team into old habits as soon as there was a hint of this. It's what happened with Moyes, LVG and even José. Simply smothered by bad press.

Maybe the Liverpool fans were right to be as deluded as they were all those years as it seems to have made them immune to any inward criticism whereas United fans only seem happy to try drag the team down. Maybe it's because they've never had to stick with them through a bad patch and have gotten every manager since Fergie out within 2 and a bit seasons with the pressure because they don't like the process of building something. I don't know and it's not directed at you. I respect your opinion on this and that it hasn't wavered. I just think that the turncoats as you call them are as much a problem as anything at times.

• Advertisement

Correct. Nobody was relegated after 8 games, nobody ever was champion after 8 games. A lot of prematurity out there.

Also, board has spent 1bn in the past few years, on players fans all thought were the greatest, but now are terrible?

We have a saying: Rome was not built in one day.

I am old enough to remember that if you exclusion the miracle that was Alex F, this is the level for Man Uted, bob around top half, champions about 1 year in ten, a couple of times relegate.

Correct. Nobody was relegated after 8 games, nobody ever was champion after 8 games. A lot of prematurity out there.

Also, board has spent 1bn in the past few years, on players fans all thought were the greatest, but now are terrible?

We have a saying: Rome was not built in one day.

I am old enough to remember that if you exclusion the miracle that was Alex F, this is the level for Man Uted, bob around top half, champions about 1 year in ten, a couple of times relegate.

Dont remember either of these. There was a relegation in the 70s and before that when ? prewar ? Champions one year in 10? There was basically the Ferguson glut and a couple of Busby eras but no occasional titles :confused:

• Please continue to ignore the consistent terrible form since February

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Please continue to ignore the consistent terrible form since February

Stats seem to show that since being appointed full time manager in March Ole has managed 21 games with an average of 1.14 points per game.

Its absolutely relegation form, at Manchester United!

With the biggest problem being that it is over 2 seasons, because the fact that a full pre-season could not address the issues mean that they are fundamental to his ability rather than just being a bad run of games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

There doesn’t seem to be any leaders in the squad either. it just seams to be Ole then a load of haircut individuals with Ashley young annoying them and trying to cause a fight with anybody who will tackle him.

Players who you would think could show some leadership like matic and mata seem just as lost as anybody else.

Some sort of structure is needed. You used to have a captain then you’d have a main man in defence midfield and up front we had mctominay complaining to Fred for not closing down a fella on the edge of the box yesterday and Fred looking at him like he didn’t get the memo.

It’s like the football is just a distraction from the pr and marketing. An inconvenience.

When the asked de Gea what needs to change and he said I don’t know, I thought to myself ask him who the noodle partner is in singapore and there is more chance of getting the right answer.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There is so much wrong at the club. Whomever is letting contracts get down to the last year / 6 months before negotiations seems to properly begin needs sacking. Same person is probably the person who gave the ludicrous sanchez contract, and Rashford's one too.

They badly miss Herrera, or a Herrera type player. That was evident when he got injured in February. 8 wins in 9 with him. Something like 4 in 12 without him after.

He wasn't the best passer, tackler, dribbler, shooter, or the best at any one thing. But he set the tempo, and he had just enough quality in the important attributes that he could do an important job and set the platform for the more technically proficiient players (Pogba, Mata) to have time and space to do their work, and his energy would lend itself to Matic and McTominay as they went about firefighting.

He should by all rights, be there and be the club captain, but someone dropped a clanger while feeling great that they've tied down Jones, Smalling, Young for another while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

This is honestly better in terms of what's needed for a full rebuild imo. You think there would be any meaningful investment if top 4 was looking likely or achieved? Now they'll have to stump up as their model the last 2 summers has sent the club into a tailspin. Spending less than 100m net over the last 2 summers is a joke considering where United were and where their competitors were. But now that can't continue surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

A move for Pochettino might suit both clubs now. Only Leavey would look a ransom for him even though the spurs players have clearly downed tools. Even though I support City , UTD are much more palatable then the red scouse. How Ferguson kept teams motivated year after year was truly phenomenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

There doesn’t seem to be any leaders in the squad either. it just seams to be Ole then a load of haircut individuals with Ashley young annoying them and trying to cause a fight with anybody who will tackle him.

Players who you would think could show some leadership like matic and mata seem just as lost as anybody else.

Some sort of structure is needed. You used to have a captain then you’d have a main man in defence midfield and up front we had mctominay complaining to Fred for not closing down a fella on the edge of the box yesterday and Fred looking at him like he didn’t get the memo.

It’s like the football is just a distraction from the pr and marketing. An inconvenience.

When the asked de Gea what needs to change and he said I don’t know, I thought to myself ask him who the noodle partner is in singapore and there is more chance of getting the right answer.

I'm sorry, but this is some change of tune. This is the stuff you scoffed at when it has been brought up. Only yesterday you said you'd even be happy with 16th place finish as you were happy with the intended direction of the club. I genuinely not sure if you are trying to troll this thread, as I've never seen such a turnaround of opinion in the space of hours!!

Some of us have been questioning this manager abd squad since before the end of last season.......and were labelled "doom merchants". All because we actually looked at the performances with our own eyes, rather than using ridiculous stats to try and excuse those performances. This may only be hitting home to some like yourself now, but others here have been afraid this was going to be the case for months now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I really dont get this change of direction thing. Theres clearly none. No new style of football, no leaders emerging, no fight.

• Cringe inducing

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement