Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Man Utd have a manager.
    It's got nothing to do with Mike Ashley and the fact Rafa Benitiez is leaving Newcastle.
    Conversation was great while it lasted.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I don't think Rafa is leaving because he refuses to work under Ashley, he is leaving because he refuses to work under the constraints placed upon him in terms of who he can and can't sign.

If he doesn't jump elsewhere first, the likes of West Ham, Leicester would be decent clubs for him. Neither likely to change manager again soon though. It is the most unlikely place he could end up, and it won't happen, but for a few reasons Everton would suit him well. It will never happen though.

• rob316 wrote: »
    Huge blow for Newcastle, certain to be relegated if Ashley doesn't sell up or invest serious funds into the squad.

Rafa to Chelsea maybe?

Makes sense with Conte gone and he's done a decent job with Chelsea before as interim boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,377 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Makes sense with Conte gone and he's done a decent job with Chelsea before as interim boss.

Was last year that bad you've repressed all memories of it? Conte left last summer ;)

• TitianGerm wrote: »
    Was last year that bad you've repressed all memories of it? Conte left last summer ;)

Oops sorry yes! I mean Sarri

• 5starpool wrote: »
    I don't think Rafa is leaving because he refuses to work under Ashley, he is leaving because he refuses to work under the constraints placed upon him in terms of who he can and can't sign.

If he doesn't jump elsewhere first, the likes of West Ham, Leicester would be decent clubs for him. Neither likely to change manager again soon though. It is the most unlikely place he could end up, and it won't happen, but for a few reasons Everton would suit him well. It will never happen though.

Not happening with Rodgers doing well

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Not happening with Rodgers doing well

I know it's not likely they will need a manager soon, as I said in my post, but it's not totally unlikely that things could go sour for Rodgers, as they could for a lot of teams/managers. There will probably be at least one club doing very badly by Christmas who few people expect to, be that Everton, Leicester, West Ham, Wolves, or even one of the bigger clubs. Of the top 6, I think only Arsenal or Spurs (given any potential managerial upheavals due to one reason or another) are potential destinations for Rafa. Not likely either, but again, who knows how things will turn out.

Utd sack Solskjaer in October, Pochettino leaves Spurs, all of a sudden Spurs need someone. Rafa if free would be a candidate at least, although I suspect not one they'd pursue, but who knows. I'm only speculating obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,905 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Roy Keane quit yesterday as MON assistant as he wants to manager a team.

Rafa goes today.

Roy to Newcastle tomorrow?

He did well in the North East with Sunderland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

A Netflix series in the making right there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That's all they need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Roy Keane quit yesterday as MON assistant as he wants to manager a team.

Rafa goes today.

He’s obviously looking at the likes of Solksjaer and Lampard and thinking it’s now or never to get that type of job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,583 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Jaysus, he was expecting Newcastle to talk to him this week and didn't know a statement was forthcoming

https://twitter.com/PeteGravesSky/status/1143215760870957058?s=09

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I would worry for Newcastle's survival hopes post-Rafa. I think Puel would be a good appointment as while he won't bring sexy football - and he'd be rather dour in the dugout - he knows counter-attacking football. Worst thing they could do imo is get someone unproven or who has been out of the game a while. I've seen Sky mentioning Avram Grant as a contender. Think that would be a very bad call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

The Chronicle has pulled the odds from BetVictor and Sky Bet... Some interesting names there.
    Jose Mourinho, Patrick Vieira and Garry Monk are among the favourites to become the next Newcastle United boss.

Newcastle United have announced Rafa Benitez will leave the club at the end of the month.

And odds on Jose Mourinho taking over have slashed with him becoming the new favourite with Betvictor at 5/1.

And former Swansea boss Garry Monk is 6/1 with Betvictor to take over.

Benitez's contract was due to expire at the end of the week and the club confirmed on Monday he will leave the club at the end of the month.

Sky Bet has Garry Monk and Jose Mourinho both at 6-1 for next manager with Patrick Vieira as favourite at 11/2.

Mikel Arteta is 7/1 and David Moyes at 15/2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Surprised Lee Bowyer isn’t in the betting there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Id just give it to pulis if i was ashley...best chance of staying up

You'd imagine Poch won't be hanging around long either over 500 days since they signed a player! That's a crazy stat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,377 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

https://twitter.com/MailSport/status/1143633068370157569?s=19

Silva last year with City. What a player he's been.

Up there with the best ever to play in the PL, an outstanding player.

I used to think he was a bit overrated before City signed him. Shows what I know:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

rob316 wrote: »
    Up there with the best ever to play in the PL, an outstanding player.

I used to think he was a bit overrated before City signed him. Shows what I know:o

I remember Eamonn Dunphy describing him during Euro 2008 as " a poor player ".

• Advertisement

• I remember Eamonn Dunphy describing him during Euro 2008 as " a poor player ".

Not the first time Dunphy has said ridiculous things like Messi and his supposed 'decline' and Ronaldo 'The con' :P

Not the first time Dunphy has said ridiculous things like Messi and his supposed 'decline' and Ronaldo 'The con' :P

One of Dunphy's classics was after the 2007 champions league quarter final (I think) between AC Milan and Man Utd

"Kaka is reality,Ronaldo is hype"

From that moment onwards their careers went in complete opposite directions such is the power of Dunphy's words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,148 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

One of Dunphy's classics was after the 2007 champions league quarter final (I think) between AC Milan and Man Utd

"Kaka is reality,Ronaldo is hype"

From that moment onwards their careers went in complete opposite directions such is the power of Dunphy's words.

Kaka WAS bloody amazing for a few years though. Iirc isnt he the only player to have won the Ballon D'Or aside from Ronaldo or Messi the last like 12 years?

I think Kaka gets a hard time since he fizzed out so suddenly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I think people have a tendency to overrated nostalgia to the detriment of what is in front of us.

Saw some journo on Twitter say that David Silva is arguably the best ever foreign import to the PL and he was slated. People simply wouldn't hear of it - it was Henry, Bergkamp, etc - but ten years and four (potentially five before he leaves) league titles and a crucial part of most of those means he surely has to be part of that conversation at least.

Henry and Bergkamp (and plenty of others) were phenomenal but that's not to say nobody else can ever better them. It was the same when Cech announced his retirement - there's a very valid argument there that he's the best ever keeper in the PL but the accepted wisdom is that the title belongs to Schmeichel, end of...

Fwiw, I don't think I'd say Silva is the best foreign import but him, Aguero and Kompany absolutely deserve to be in contention there.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Kaka WAS bloody amazing for a few years though. Iirc isnt he the only player to have won the Ballon D'Or aside from Ronaldo or Messi the last like 12 years?

I think Kaka gets a hard time since he fizzed out so suddenly.

He was incredible around that time but sadly he's had one of the what might have been careers (despite having a great career), he was essentially finished as a world class player by the time he was 27/28 when he should have been coming into some of his best years.He should have had a status in the games history not far behind Messi and Ronaldo but he fell away completely when he went to Madrid.

At his best he was such a beatiful player to watch, he used to glide across the field, this goal is special:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld8WEiEgvuE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,555 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I think people have a tendency to overrated nostalgia to the detriment of what is in front of us.

Saw some journo on Twitter say that David Silva is arguably the best ever foreign import to the PL and he was slated. People simply wouldn't hear of it - it was Henry, Bergkamp, etc - but ten years and four (potentially five before he leaves) league titles and a crucial part of most of those means he surely has to be part of that conversation at least.

Henry and Bergkamp (and plenty of others) were phenomenal but that's not to say nobody else can ever better them. It was the same when Cech announced his retirement - there's a very valid argument there that he's the best ever keeper in the PL but the accepted wisdom is that the title belongs to Schmeichel, end of...

Fwiw, I don't think I'd say Silva is the best foreign import but him, Aguero and Kompany absolutely deserve to be in contention there.
    I think Silva is way below the other 2 in terms of his contribution there. Obviously a very very good player, but gets put into a whole different bracket by the British media.

For instance, there has never been a season where he was a legitimate contender for Premier League player of the year, without even getting into the wider European sense.

How then can he be a better import than someone like Hazard or Sanchez who have had the league at their feet for a number of years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Happy David Moyes day everyone!

By the way Alain Pardew's Newcastle contract is still alive in an alternative universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Happy David Moyes day everyone!

By the way Alain Pardew's Newcastle contract is still alive in an alternative universe.

Is he French in that alternative universe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

dmigsy wrote: »
    Is he French in that alternative universe?

In keeping with the Newcastle scouting of the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Anyone know of what the story is with the new TV packages changing this upcoming season? From what I understand, we should now be able to get BT Sports as part of a Sky Sports subscription. But is this only available on sky sports or can virgin media get this too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

FitzShane wrote: »
    Anyone know of what the story is with the new TV packages changing this upcoming season? From what I understand, we should now be able to get BT Sports as part of a Sky Sports subscription. But is this only available on sky sports or can virgin media get this too?

BT and Premier Sports will be available on the Sky platform only (exclusive at the moment, doubt it’ll change) from August 1st. Think it’ll prob be a separate package, price not reported yet

It's been a long wait, but thankfully... the premiership back next month :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Guys, over on the games forum they run a game called sheep, basically asking questions like Whats your favourite colour? 10 people answer, five say red, those people get 5 points, three say green, they get 3 points and two say blue and get 2 points. The idea is to get the most popular answer.
    I'm running one on soccer plays, 10 clubs, name a player past or present, feel free to enter

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057992216&page=3

Green&Red wrote: »
    Guys, over on the games forum they run a game called sheep, basically asking questions like Whats your favourite colour? 10 people answer, five say red, those people get 5 points, three say green, they get 3 points and two say blue and get 2 points. The idea is to get the most popular answer.
    I'm running one on soccer plays, 10 clubs, name a player past or present, feel free to enter

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057992216&page=3

At minimum would need a separate thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

FitzShane wrote: »

I got an email at the weekend saying BT sport will no longer be available with an EIR subscription. Its just the boot in the ass I needed to go changing my broadband provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Frank Lampard is now the manager of Chelsea FC.

A transfer ban and a shed load of loaned players some of whom will surely be back in the fold and a crop of decent young players in the squad could be quite a good situation for a tyro though Champions League football is also a bit of a potential distraction/stress test - I suppose that can be treated as a free hit. Can he get a top four finish? City, Liverpool and probably Spurs look like the top three on paper as of now - with Arsenal looking pretty weak with a small budget. Man Utd as ever hard to be sure of and then the possibility of one of Everton/Wolves/Leicester/ having a very good season.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

He could well be gone by Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    He could well be gone by Christmas.

The fact he's Frank Lampard will buy him a lot of time from the fans even if things are going badly. Then again it is Chelsea so who knows?

• Advertisement

Peter Crouch will host a weekly show on Amazon with Gabby Logan and John Bishop..

Back of the Net will go out every Tuesday and will be filmed with a live studio audience.

The production company making the show is owned by Gary Neville.

https://deadline.com/2019/07/amazon-back-of-the-net-peter-crouch-1202642067/

Peter Crouch will host a weekly show on Amazon with Gabby Logan and John Bishop..

Back of the Net will go out every Tuesday and will be filmed with a live studio audience.

Thanks for that, I'm going to cancel my Amazon Prime subscription now just to be safe.

To whoever asked for that SHíTE!!

1196794.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I can't wait for all the "tall" jokes Bishop will be making about Crouchy. Can't wait.

Top banter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,148 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

This just got weirder and weirder as I kept reading the next person involved in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Peter Crouch's podcast is one of the most popular around. Obviously trying to keep that buzz going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

The fact he's Frank Lampard will buy him a lot of time from the fans even if things are going badly. Then again it is Chelsea so who knows?

It makes sense for Chelsea, they likely couldn't attract an established manager right now, they need to get the fans back on board and they need a manager who'll work with youth.

But for Lampard he basically couldn't say no and yet he's getting the job at such a difficult time, if it all goes wrong he might not get back in there.
    He was learning on the job at Derby so it's almost unknown what will happen, I'd guess a good start which may fade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Friday 9 August 2019
    20:00 Liverpool v Norwich (Sky Sports)

Saturday 10 August 2019
    12:30 West Ham v Man City (BT Sport)
    17:30 Spurs v Aston Villa (Sky Sports)

Sunday 11 August 2019
    14:00 Newcastle v Arsenal (Sky Sports)
    16:30 Man Utd v Chelsea (Sky Sports)

Saturday 17 August 2019
    12:30 Arsenal v Burnley (BT Sport)
    17:30 Man City v Spurs (Sky Sports)

Sunday 18 August 2019
    14:00 Sheff Utd v Crystal Palace (Sky Sports)
    16:30 Chelsea v Leicester (Sky Sports)

Monday 19 August 2019
    20:00 Wolves v Man Utd (Sky Sports)

Friday 23 August 2019
    20:00 Aston Villa v Everton (Sky Sports)

Saturday 24 August 2019
    12:30 Norwich v Chelsea (BT Sport)
    17:30 Liverpool v Arsenal (Sky Sports)

Sunday 25 August 2019
    14:00 AFC Bournemouth v Man City (Sky Sports)
    16:30 Spurs v Newcastle (Sky Sports)

Saturday 31 August 2019
    12:30 Southampton v Man Utd (BT Sport)
    17:30 Burnley v Liverpool (Sky Sports)

Sunday 1 September 2019
    14:00 Everton v Wolves (Sky Sports)
    16:30 Arsenal v Spurs (Sky Sports)

Saturday 14 September 2019
    12.30 Liverpool v Newcastle (BT Sport)
    17:30 Norwich v Man City (Sky Sports)

Sunday 15 September 2019
    14:00 AFC Bournemouth v Everton (Sky Sports)
    16:30 Watford v Arsenal (Sky Sports)

Monday 16 September 2019
    20:00 Aston Villa v West Ham (Sky Sports)

Friday 20 September 2019
    20:00 Southampton v AFC Bournemouth (Sky Sports)

Saturday 21 September 2019
    12:30 Leicester v Spurs (BT Sport)
    17:30 Newcastle v Brighton (Sky Sports)

Sunday 22 September 2019
    14:00 West Ham v Man Utd (Sky Sports)
    16:30 Arsenal v Aston Villa*
    *Moved due to Arsenal's UEFA Europa League participation
    16:30 Chelsea v Liverpool (Sky Sports)

Saturday 28 September 2019
    12:30 Sheff Utd v Liverpool (BT Sport)
    17:30 Leicester v Newcastle (Sky Sports)*
    *Will move to 29 Sep, 16:30, live on Sky, if Man City play in UEFA Champions League on 1 Oct

Sunday 29 September 2019
    16:30 Everton v Man City (Sky Sports)*
    *Will move to 28 Sep, 17:30, live on Sky, if Man City play in UEFA Champions League on 1 Oct

Monday 30 September 2019
    20:00 Man Utd v Arsenal (Sky Sports)

Matches affected by UEFA Europa League

The matches below will move because of UEFA Europa League participation the Thursdays before.

Should Wolves reach the group stage of the competition, their matches will also be affected on the weekends below.

Confirmation of the final dates and/or times will be issued when broadcast selections for that are announced.

Sunday 6 October 2019
    Arsenal v AFC Bournemouth
    Newcastle v Man Utd

Date TBC
    Arsenal v Crystal Palace
    Norwich v Man Utd

Sunday 10 November 2019
    Leicester v Arsenal
    Man Utd v Brighton

Sunday 1 December 2019
    Man Utd v Aston Villa
    Norwich v Arsenal

Date TBC
    Arsenal v Man City
    Man Utd v Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Seems managers are copping on to Ashley. He can't even get Allardyce to take the job.

Seems managers are copping on to Ashley. He can't even get Allardyce to take the job.

Is he not getting Steve Bruce???

(Yes it is 2019)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Big Sam was already there and is hated by the fans, doubt he wants that added to the hassle of dealing with Ashley at the age he is now.

Ashley is a ****ing clown, Rafa was holding that squad and the fans together and that squad needed serious investment but what does Ashley do

Rafa - gone
    Rondon - gone
    Perez - gone
    Longstaff - rumoured to be a United target

Bruce - In - cheap, rubbish and likely hoping the fact he's a Geordie keeps the fans from burning the place to the ground for another year.

They're 11/4 to be relegated and that looks very generous with how that squad is now and the caliber of manager they are going for. I'm not a Newcastle fan but have a soft spot for them and Ashley has abused that club and the fans. They need to stop turning up en masse, cancel season tickets, tickets, memberships etc. Empty stadium and protest outside during the games. They have to hit him in his pockets.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement