Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,542 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Today, in what have become more frequent nonsensical ramblings from our great leader, he's on about how much we have missed Micah Richards and need him back. Honestly, I've seen massive amounts of different theories and conflicting analysis on our woes and the causes. Not one has even considered Micah Richards as the answer.

Honestly, even the thought of bringing him back in after pretty much every performance he has put in a Villa shirt being about a 3/10.

It's a bit like running back upstairs when your house is on fire just to make absolutely sure that you don't have a fire extinguisher that you didn't know about lying around somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

CSF wrote: »
    Today, in what have become more frequent nonsensical ramblings from our great leader, he's on about how much we have missed Micah Richards and need him back. Honestly, I've seen massive amounts of different theories and conflicting analysis on our woes and the causes. Not one has even considered Micah Richards as the answer.

Honestly, even the thought of bringing him back in after pretty much every performance he has put in a Villa shirt being about a 3/10.

It's a bit like running back upstairs when your house is on fire just to make absolutely sure that you don't have a fire extinguisher that you didn't know about lying around somewhere.

Wow. Did he really say that? I get that Richards seems to be a good guy around the training ground but he has been **** for years.

matrim wrote: »

Wow. Did he really say that? I get that Richards seems to be a good guy around the training ground but he has been **** for years.
    He did. Given how pathetically lazy his performances were last season I'd be baffled if that's the kind of senior role model you'd want around the training ground. Look lads, this is how little you can contribute and still earn 65k a week.

Honestly, the only improvement at this stage of Bruce over Di Matteo, is that we're no longer conceding late equalisers every week. Because that involves getting in front in the first place.

I'd actually go as far as to say that if Bruce actually brings Richards back to the fold full-time, Di Matteo has probably overtaken him in terms of his contribution to the club, because at least he tried to get rid of the massively paid wasters from the dressing room whereas Bruce seemingly wants to build his team around them. I can only imagine he's secretly raging that Lescott wasn't kept around.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I can only imagine (and I am not advocating this line of thinking) that Bruce has him in mind for the RCB role if he is playing 3 at the back.

He probably doesn't deserve to be lumped in with him but I just think of Lescott as well as Richards whenever Micah is mentioned as the time when both were signed and the performances that followed (from not just them) seemed like it killed Villa as a premiership team. I really don't mind not seeing him again just because of what he makes me think of tbh, The worst of Villa (not that we are better at the moment in many ways).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Hmmmm....not really not sure what to make of this one at all.
    “I could do with him on the pitch.

“Micah Richards is a stick-on if he is fit.

“He has the right mentality.
    “Unfortunately fitness levels have been a big problem for him over the last couple of years.”

Richards can play right-back or centre-half and would bring experience, know-how and an added determination to drag Villa out of their current mess.

“He has been back in training for a week after an ongoing problem with his knee, a complicated one,” Bruce added.
    “Certainly I could do with him.

“I have to say around the place he is terrific.

“He went on a six-week programme so hopefully he stays right because his experience could prove vital.”
    http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-steve-bruce-big-12619995

Beggars can't be choosers?

But sure at least keeping Bruce is helping to create stability at the club.

Tune in next week when Bruce agonises over giving free agent Bosko Balaban another chance at the club.

But sure at least keeping Bruce is helping to create stability at the club.

Tune in next week when Bruce agonises over giving free agent Bosko Balaban another chance at the club.
    It's more to do with Bruce trying to save his own bacon and not cut off his nose to spite his face. He's probably thinking it'll make the difference in a relegation battle :rolleyes:

At this stage what harm can it do?

Savman wrote: »
    It's more to do with Bruce trying to save his own bacon and not cut off his nose to spite his face. He's probably thinking it'll make the difference in a relegation battle :rolleyes:

At this stage what harm can it do?

I was moreso referring to the post above about Richards possibly leading to a return to the 532. Hence the post about stability. The clown is no closer to knowing what way we're going to lineup going forward than he was the day he came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭pavb2

I fear we could be in for a drubbing on Monday night, Bruce will set us up for a draw, it'll be backs to the wall stuff and we'll end up losing anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

pavb2 wrote: »
    I fear we could be in for a drubbing on Monday night, Bruce will set us up for a draw, it'll be backs to the wall stuff and we'll end up losing anyway.

It's going to be horrible. Cowardly setup and no plan. I'll eat my hat if we show any ambition.

Given that the two clubs were similar in stature until recent times, 30 points and 30 goals now separate Newcastle and Villa in the Championship :eek:

We're in serious trouble tbh.

Normally I think we can always snatch a sneaky away win, but so many things have to click on Monday night and pretty much everything is against us.

SB will park the bus but Kodjia always has a goal in him and Hogan will be keen to get off the mark.

All the signs are there for a 2-0 away win to the Villa :D

Sorry lads, unashamedly VTID

The clubs I'm looking at the most when comparing us are Cardiff and Derby. Both Warnock and McClaren came in during the same international break as Bruce (McClaren was on the same day). Both were behind us in the league at the time.

McClaren has spent a total of 2.5 million on David Nugent (no big loan signs to go with it or whatever), Warnock hasn't had a penny to spend, and has had to use free transfers and loans to fill what was obviously a weak squad.

Both are now top half of the table, 9 and 11 points ahead of Villa. What was so much easier about their jobs that they're not needing all this time that Bruce supposedly needs?

As we've seen in recent history with the likes of Di Matteo, Agbonlahor, McCormack, Elphick and Richards, and now Bruce, Aston Villa seems to be the sort of club where you can come in, earn alot of money, perform very badly, and people still make excuses for you. I've never really seen a club where you can get away with so much and people will still like you and sometimes treat you like a hero.

People talk about the mentality at the club very frequently, but for me this is the key one, the dressing room needs to be one where only people with a winners mentality reside, and for too long, both players and other members of staff have been allowed coast by without that mentality, and this is contagious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Sono

Bruce ain't going anywhere and I for one am glad, he will get it right I am sure of it, starting with a nice 3 points tmw!

Sono wrote: »
    Bruce ain't going anywhere and I for one am glad, he will get it right I am sure of it, starting with a nice 3 points tmw!
    Ok, and if we do lose tomorrow night and the form goes to 2 draws and 8 defeats from 10 games will you stand by that?

Has there been a manager previously who has gone through a run of 2 draws and 8 defeats from 10 games and kept their job, and then went onto be successful?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

• Advertisement

Good god there are some stupid people in the world.

Ok, and if we do lose tomorrow night and the form goes to 2 draws and 8 defeats from 10 games will you stand by that?

Has there been a manager previously who has gone through a run of 2 draws and 8 defeats from 10 games and kept their job, and then went onto be successful?

There's a fair chance we will lose tmw so I am factoring this in when I support Bruce and the players.

We haven't played well much under Bruce but I remain hopeful he will get it right.

There's a fair chance we will lose tmw so I am factoring this in when I support Bruce and the players.

We haven't played well much under Bruce but I remain hopeful he will get it right.
    Care to substantiate at all? Any cases of anyone doing this badly (it'd be 2 draws and 8 defeats from 10 games), keeping their job and then going onto eventually succeed at said club in the long-term?

Or is the assumption that Bruce would be among the first? And if so, why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Care to substantiate at all? Any cases of anyone doing this badly (it'd be 2 draws and 8 defeats from 10 games), keeping their job and then going onto eventually succeed at said club in the long-term?

You think Bruce is a sham and the last 40 posts also indicate the players are happy to get wages and do nothing.

I think the fire and hire has been done to death now. Bruce is a good manager at this level and his record says so. I'm pretty pissed off myself with the last few weeks and would like to see him gone myself but in the back of my head I also reckon it's a matter of time for him to get it right.

Is there a club he hasn't got out of the Championship?

Time will tell but he didn't become a moron in the last few weeks and this next game is a free pass. We aren't expected to get anything out of it with our form.

In answer to your question, yes there are 3 clubs he's not gotten promoted. 2 that he has, both twice I believe.

• Advertisement

In answer to your question, yes there are 3 clubs he's not gotten promoted. 2 that he has, both twice I believe.

Who were they and I thought he had six promotions?

The fact remains you believe Bruce is a bad manager and I completely disagree with your view that's grand. I want us to stick with Bruce as I believe he will get it right but you think he should be sacked that's fair enough too.

I just hope we stop firing every time it goes badly, if Bruce steadied the ship between now and the end of the season would you change your view on him? If Bruce doesn't turn it around between now and the end of this season I could see him walking away without the need to be sacked.

LeBash wrote: »

Who were they and I thought he had six promotions?
    It's 4 clubs actually, I didn't realise he'd managed Wigan in the Championship aswell as the Prem. Sheff United, Huddersfield, Crystal Palace and Wigan. It's 4 promotions aswell. 2 with Birmingham and 2 with Hull.

I think with 4 promotions he was worth a go, but with him having had 8 job changes in 18 years and having never managed to settle in the Premier League despite getting promoted 4 times, there was always the risk that he would fall the way he has, and the rot has well and truly set in now.

The fact remains you believe Bruce is a bad manager and I completely disagree with your view that's grand. I want us to stick with Bruce as I believe he will get it right but you think he should be sacked that's fair enough too.

I just hope we stop firing every time it goes badly, if Bruce steadied the ship between now and the end of the season would you change your view on him? If Bruce doesn't turn it around between now and the end of this season I could see him walking away without the need to be sacked.
    For me, he is done. I don't think he could win me over again without actually getting the job done on promotion. I've seen too much that is too bad (a lot more than just results) to rate him again.

He might be successful somewhere else again in his career, but he seems like the kind of manager who will usually get it wrong more than he gets it right, and you can't get away with that at a club like Villa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Any one else see Rafa's comments in the mail , makes allot of sense , we had a diabolicly bad side last season one of the worst in the premier league eara , did anyone really believe they were going to bounce back up .

RDM tried in the summer bot allot of his additions haven't worked out (Gollini , Tisbola , McCormack , Elphic) so very little improvent on last years brutal squad, http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-what-newcastle-united-12622539

In my view we still need about 6 players as there is literally no depth in the squad our bench is absolute **** and we lost form over Christmas when Kodija left and we had literally no capable strikers left (Rudy , Gabby , Kozak and McCormack ) all way way below par , truth on it 2 now gone 1 injured and will be released in the summer and hopefully gabby follows him out the door to.

Bruce and the management did good business in Jan , Hogan will come good if Kodija can learn to pass , Bree , Hourihane and Lansbury all look an improvement on what we had , Johstone is't great and his confidence is shot , Bjarnsson has looked like hes improving all the time as he gets fit. I think allot of fans underestimated this league , expected us to go back up first time but Benitez's points make perfect sense to me , to be honest i don't think e will manage it next season either it might take us another two full seasons to properly recover from what was an absolute horror show last year. at that will still be doing better then Randys other team , the Browns three years on from lerners disastrous regin are in dire condition their ground has become know as the theater of sadness.

What I don't get is that after the Forest game I thought Bruce would have read the players the riot act and we would come out against Barnsley all guns blazing, fighting for every ball etc etc but we just rolled over and allowed them to control the game. To get anything tonight will need a massive improvement in performance and I'm not sure we can have it in us.

pavb2 wrote: »
    What I don't get is that after the Forest game I thought Bruce would have read the players the riot act and we would come out against Barnsley all guns blazing, fighting for every ball etc etc but we just rolled over and allowed them to control the game. To get anything tonight will need a massive improvement in performance and I'm not sure we can have it in us.

We dominated that first half vs Barnsley , possession wise , chance creation , shot , shots on target ... Amavi gave away a daft penalty that it could be argued wasn't a penalty anyway for their first and from what i recal that was their first shot in the game definitely their first on target. we wasted a few early chances Kodija was selfish in possesion again. we rallied immediatly after tey socred hresecod and looked like well coming back in the second half , started brightly again and immediatly and indavidual erro ,Koodijas botched clearence gifted them a third and killed the game.

what can Bruce do about any of that , Kodija is a selfish player but also our top goal scoreer cant really drop him , ok drop Johnstone but Bunn isn't much better probably would have conceded those three goals anyway.3 individual errors again cost us a game , anyone who watched that game would say we did not play like we should have been beaten 3-1 ... were playing football that's creating chances our strikers anren't putting away were not being overun in midfield with Hourihane and Lansbury in the way we were with Gardener and Wastewood ... I don't know what more Bruce can do to be honest , as a manager all he has control over is the team and their shape that's looked good in the last 3 games (as good as it could injurys permitting). its the 11 on the pitch need to step up at this stage

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

We'll win tonight. 2-0.

I know you can't quantify it but I think Rafa as a manager gives any team a 15 point advantage also its the 11 on the pitch need to step up at this stage

Agree with this there should be enough quality in our team to beat anyone in the championship but Walter has touched on it, those individual errors are and have been killing us for the last three seasons.

I'm in Glasgow at the moment and driving down to Newcastle in about half an hour, I've got no expectations for tonight but there is the tiniest bit of hope . . . Just maybe . . .

i'd be the same , we have enough quality in that squad that we should at the very least be competitive , confidence and form are definitely lacking and individual errors have cost us about 20 points this season, but as the old adage goes form is temporary class is permanent , i honestly believe Bruce will turn this around, though increasingly looking like this may come over the summer.

I'm expecting nothing from tonight , so long as we give a good account of ourselves i'll be happy, results will come in the next 15 fixtures but i wouldn't be expecting them to come away from home to a club chasing the title

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Good to see Jedinak back, will be interesting to see the difference with him in the side again. Elphick instead of Baker is a risk, even if Baker has been really poor since the new year.

C5IWAiKWMAExilD.jpg:small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭Patser

Jedinak could make a huge difference, especially in place of Grealish, whole new depth to midfield.

But Elphick in defence, if you listen really carefully, no matter where you are in the world, you can hear CSF's head go pop.

It defies belief really. No matter how badly you do, you'll always get back in. Any predictions to formation? Is it 451/433 with Kodjia and Bjarnason in the wide positions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭Patser

4-1-3-2?

Patser wrote: »
    4-1-3-2?
    You'd have absolutely no width in that case because Hutton and Taylor aren't going to be able to provide that. With Bruce being obsessed with 2 up front I wouldn't bet against it though.

I'd say we will play very narrow and let them have the wings by the look of it. I don't see a right sided winger except on the bench so I'd assume 2 up top

How is Colback not booked there?

Ah sh*te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Hogan was onside there. Should have been a peno

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

6 Villa players in the 6 yard box - 7 if you include the keeper - and that happens!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

When you're down you're down. Flukey ****ing goal after Villa coasting.

It is frustrating because Newcastle have been awful and haven't deserved this. The whole 'we're getting punished for every mistake we make' line will be out again after that, but stopping making stupid mistakes in our own box would be a measure to stop getting punished.

Even though Jedinak was poor for the goal, you can see the difference he makes here. Hogan has been a bright spark also. Would love to see Bruce change it up early for once here. Bjarnason off for Adomah at the break here and have a real go at what has been a shocking Newcastle side who are just asking to be punished.

That was a real kick in the teeth. Thought we did well, closing down in midfield has been really good. Kodija is lost out on the left. SB was saying he does his best work there but I think that's only if there is a genuine tactic to let him go towards the box, but he clearly isn't doing that tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

That's the way it's been going. Looked a lot more solid in that half with Jedinak adding protection. Just wish there was a bit more support for Hogan though, I really think he could be a very good player for Villa but at times he's a bit isolated. Kodjia slowing the ball up to much at times, it's usually 4, 5 seconds before he does allowing Newcastle players to get back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Look lads were winning the second half.

Boom

This is gonna happen.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Look lads were winning the second half.

Boom

This is gonna happen.

That post is a triumph of hope over experience.

Panrich wrote: »
    I dunno. If Newcastle play anything like they did in the first half, and Bruce goes from it from the off, rather than biding his time and having a go late on, Newcastle are there for the taking.

I'd go Kodija off Adomah on rather than Thor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Panrich wrote: »

It has to change at some point this team are up for grabs.

listermint wrote: »
    It has to change at some point this team are up for grabs.

Could definitely see Shelvey getting a red.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement