Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ETB schools hiring unqualified teachers

Options
  • 05-12-2019 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Im a qualified teacher, been subbing for two years. Ive gotten subbing in ETB centers and PLC colleges and noticed something very common with them, they have allot of staff that arent qualified teachers. One girl I worked with only just finished her undergrad yet is permanent teaching in the center. I have the same undergrad although completed 5 years ago plus my teaching qualification and years of experience through subbing, work experience while training and years of volunteer teaching before qualifying to try help my cv. Another center I subbed in, the permanent teacher has no qualifications and does nothing with the learners, told me himself he does nothing and doesnt even like his job, he just does it for the money. The job he's in is an area of education im passionate about and good at, I felt so sorry for his students as they had so much potential yet I cant get permanent anywhere and I wonder why I even bothered spending thousands training to be a teacher.
    I thought the teaching council where implementing regulations to stop unqualified people getting jobs as teachers? Why then are unqualified people getting jobs over qualified and experienced teachers? The system is so broken.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Notify your Union for what it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Don’t forget to remind the union of the PME student teachers getting work ahead of qualified teachers who are waiting by the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Before you go running to your union, what do you mean by unqualified teachers? Are they teachers with a degree but no dip or teachers with no third level education at all??

Because until a few years ago a teacher was deemed qualified to teach in a VEC (now ETB) school once they had a degree. These teachers are fully registered with the teaching council, but will only ever be able to teach in the ETB system.

Also many teachers who teach in the PLC sector might not have done the dip but registered with the teaching council under the Further Education sector. Which is all completely legit.

I know numerous teachers who work in the ETB/FE sector who do not have a dip and are all registered with the teaching council.

I'd also be quite sceptical of a person who has just finished their undergrad and is permanent. Permanent contracts just aren't given out anymore. Everyone goes the two year CID route.

Advertisement