Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Census house number?

Options
  • 30-06-2020 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I was just looking at the 1911 census for my townland. Clicking on a number shows the residents who lived in a house but it just says House number 1, house number 2, etc.

Is there any way to find out where on a map those houses were? I'm interested to know who lived in my old cottage.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sometimes the 'House and Building return' can identify a house, particularly to people who would know the area. It mentions outhouses, how many windows at the front of the house, what the walls are built of etc..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The short answer is not really. If there is a public building nearby (when you browse the building return you see the street in context) then you might be able to work it out from a map.

They randomly assigned numbers to houses in places that didn't have a numbering system (so that is most of the country outside big towns and cities).

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement