Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sys protection is using 3.23Gb..

Options
  • 22-04-2020 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Noticed current Sys protection is using 3.23Gb yet there are only 2 restore points detected.

No problems just curious about reported size.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

mrtom wrote: »
    Noticed current Sys protection is using 3.23Gb yet there are only 2 restore points detected.

As you don't rise the question, let me : what is the purpose you have "driver hub" installed (i guess that is purpose of first restore point) on your PC - do you have driver issues?
    Is it just because someone suggested "it is cool"...., or do you think Win Update not capable ? :D
    Win 8.1 i have in "normal use", "thank god", has not failed me for last ~10 years in relation to drivers, if at all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Restore points are large, they're essentially a copy of all system files. Not surprised that there's only two.

Most people won't really need more than one, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭mrtom

As you don't rise the question, let me : what is the purpose you have "driver hub" installed (i guess that is purpose of first restore point) on your PC - do you have driver issues?
    Is it just because someone suggested "it is cool"...., or do you think Win Update not capable ? :D
    Win 8.1 i have in "normal use", "thank god", has not failed me for last ~10 years in relation to drivers, if at all.

I saw many of both my system / hardware drivers were years old, so ran driver hub to check for newer revisions and researched for additional functionality / issues. This app offers roll back so I chose what to update. Win update detected nothing in my case.
    The result, snappier & more responsive.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better.
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭mrtom

CatInABox wrote: »
    Restore points are large, they're essentially a copy of all system files. Not surprised that there's only two.

Most people won't really need more than one, to be honest.

Ah, so more that a registry back up then...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I saw many of both my system / hardware drivers were years old, so ran driver hub to check for newer revisions and researched for additional functionality / issues. This app offers roll back so I chose what to update. Win update detected nothing in my case.
    The result, snappier & more responsive.
    When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
    :D we have different views... and i respect that...

Providing your system is ~8 years old, and judging by processor it is, there could be that hardware just not supported to extent as it was at 2012-2014, hence no new drivers available.
    Personally I'd prefer install drivers from official manufacturer website

And i hope you familiar with what you doing...
    "To make it better."
    Wasnt it just lately you had profile corruption issue?
    Wonder could that be related to updating drivers by third party soft.. or might be running CCleaner registry clean-up, if you did..? There are some opinions about this too

On the other hand, while we in isolation - what else to do. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

System protection also includes "shadow volume copies" AFAIK. If you do a lot a editing of large files, the stored previous versions could get large.

Advertisement