Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VRT and Registration on old camper van?

Options
  • 15-06-2020 7:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

I've just bought an old VW campervan from NI where it's been registered as a camper van for years (and in England before that).
    The previous owners refurbished the interior a few years ago but didn't install a fixed gas cooker as they didn't want one (and neither do I).
    Will that be a problem for me when I go to register it as a camper van here as it says it must have fixed gas cooker installed to be considered a camper van or will it make any difference to the VRT people as the van is over forty years old?
    As far as I know there's no VRT to be paid on the vehicle because if it's age and no test to be carried out, could they just decide to register it as a classic van instead or what's likely to happen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

I've just bought an old VW campervan from NI where it's been registered as a camper van for years (and in England before that).
    The previous owners refurbished the interior a few years ago but didn't install a fixed gas cooker as they didn't want one (and neither do I).
    Will that be a problem for me when I go to register it as a camper van here as it says it must have fixed gas cooker installed to be considered a camper van or will it make any difference to the VRT people as the van is over forty years old?
    As far as I know there's no VRT to be paid on the vehicle because if it's age and no test to be carried out, could they just decide to register it as a classic van instead or what's likely to happen?

Nowhere has it ever said you need a gas cooker.

It says cooking facilities and .. must be rigidly fixed yada yada.

My friend put an induction hob flush in his worktop takes up feck all spaces and has only ever been used as a chopping board.

I have also seen portable camping cookers temporarily screwed down that also constitutes rigidly fixed.

The guidelines are there to stop Del boy throwing a plywood box and a mattress in the back to dodge tax, they are not out to get legitimate campers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Nowhere has it ever said you need a gas cooker.

It says cooking facilities and .. must be rigidly fixed yada yada.

My friend put an induction hob flush in his worktop takes up feck all spaces and has only ever been used as a chopping board.

I have also seen portable camping cookers temporarily screwed down that also constitutes rigidly fixed.

The guidelines are there to stop Del boy throwing a plywood box and a mattress in the back to dodge tax, they are not out to get legitimate campers.

Thanks, but if it doesn't have a cooker can i still go ahead and register it as just a van or something?
    There's no VRT due to the age of the vehicle so there's no loss to them either ways. I don't particularly want a cooker in it at all and the insurance I got works out cheaper because of the fact that it doesn't have one installed. Can they just register it as a historical vehicle or something, the logbook I have it say body type : Motor caravan, Taxation class: Historic vehicle....?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

You could ask them to register it as an MPV, I had a toyota camper registered as that.

Advertisement