Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY camper van conversion insurance?

Options
  • 14-06-2020 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Are self-conversions camper vans insurable in Ireland? Take a Sprinter van for example like the one in the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwViwCJciqI&t=69s

I'm assuming these are not too common in Ireland? Car insurance is already expensive here so I can only imagine what something like this would cost for a 30 year old male?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Hooked

(I'm assuming these are not too common in Ireland?)

Oh you'd be wrong!!! LOL

Once you follow the revenue guidelines, pass the SQI (engineers) test, and pay the VRT where it's owed... your "MOTOR CARAVAN" is treated as a coach built one. No different.

The only grey area is (like me) where you convert a LOW ROOF (under 1.8m) van - as these are only insurable via a camper club, using their pre-agreed scheme with Richardsons/Allianz. The low roof is not an issue for revenue, only insurers!

Check out "Self Build Campervans Ireland" facebook page for more info!

We're a sound bunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

There are converted vans all over the country - very very common now, I'm just finished one, am 31 - €300 per year insurance. (with a car policy in place already) but also had a quote for €650 stand-alone.

The rest - as Hooked says - the group on facebook is a fantastic resource

Advertisement