Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Office (Excel,Word ) - not opening

Options
  • 10-06-2020 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Hi

I'm having difficulty opening Microsoft Office ( XL, Word , Powerpoint ( & Photoshop.

The message I am getting is as follows.

" C\ProgramFiles(x86)Microsoft Office\Office14\Exel.exe. make sure you've typed the name correctly, then try again "

Can anyone advise me how to fix the problem.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Type Excel into the Windows search box.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Conology

Type Excel into the Windows search box.

I did that - I then get the same message - what do I do now ??

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Did you delete any files/folders recently from the computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Conology wrote: »
    Hi

I'm having difficulty opening Microsoft Office ( XL, Word , Powerpoint ( & Photoshop.

The message I am getting is as follows.

" C\ProgramFiles(x86)Microsoft Office\Office14\Exel.exe. make sure you've typed the name correctly, then try again "

Can anyone advise me how to fix the problem.

Thank you

Did you type the message or is the typo directly from the message? Excel instead of Exel would be better :)

Did you delete any files/folders recently from the computer?

No - not that I'm aware of, I don't see how I could have done it by mistake even..

• Advertisement

RedXIV wrote: »
    Did you type the message or is the typo directly from the message? Excel instead of Exel would be better :)

That's a "Typo" by me - it should read " Excel" - sorry

How are you trying to open the programs? are you clicking on existing word documents etc to open Word? or are you searching for the application in the start menu? or via the command prompt?

How are you trying to open the programs? are you clicking on existing word documents etc to open Word? or are you searching for the application in the start menu? or via the command prompt?

I'm clicking on the XL & Word icons, plus I'm trying to open specific XL & Word documents using the file names.

Control Panel
    Uninstall Program
    If office is listed (i believe office14 is Office2010)
    Right click and repair

NoDrama wrote: »
    Control Panel
    Uninstall Program
    If office is listed (i believe office14 is Office2010)
    Right click and repair

Yes - doing that ok... but when I - Right Click - it only gives me two options
    - Uninstall & Change

• Advertisement

Conology wrote: »
    Yes - doing that ok... but when I - Right Click - it only gives me two options
    - Uninstall & Change

change is probably the one you want. I think it offers more options and one could be to move to the path mentioned in the original error?

change is probably the one you want. I think it offers more options and one could be to move to the path mentioned in the original error?

I opened the " Change " option.
    Its now says -
    " Setup cannot find Office.en-us\osetupui.dll.Browse to a valid installation source & then click ok "

Have you tried the following
    Type excel.exe into the search box, does it open.

For repair;

https://www.slipstick.com/tutorial/repair-office-2010-2007-2003-installations/

I believe when you click "change" you will be presented with other options and repair is one.

As a precaution, have you got the Licence key for it, in the event it is reset.

NoDrama wrote: »
    Have you tried the following
    Type excel.exe into the search box, does it open.

For repair;

https://www.slipstick.com/tutorial/repair-office-2010-2007-2003-installations/

I believe when you click "change" you will be presented with other options and repair is one.

As a precaution, have you got the Licence key for it, in the event it is reset.
    I typed "excel.exe" into search box - but it doesn't open. However it doesn't give me an error message either.
    No - I don't have the Licence key information.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

What OS?
    Did you upgrade(Win or Office) before issue show up?
    "C\ProgramFiles(x86)Microsoft Office\Office14\Excel.exe" was on Win7 for Office2010
    https://www.appuntidallarete.com/microsoft-office-default-installation-folders-for-windows/

What OS?
    Did you upgrade(Win or Office) before issue show up?
    "C\ProgramFiles(x86)Microsoft Office\Office14\Excel.exe" was on Win7 for Office2010
    https://www.appuntidallarete.com/microsoft-office-default-installation-folders-for-windows/

No - I didn't upgrade anything recently
    OS - Windows

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

In the command prompt, go to the folder:

C\ProgramFiles(x86)Microsoft Office\Office14\

Can you see the Excel.exe file?

If so, type Excel and see what error message it gives you.

Yes Windows what? 7, 8.1, 10 ?
    Latest Office installs are Click-to-Run(mostly) and itll go to

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\"

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    In the command prompt, go to the folder:

C\ProgramFiles(x86)Microsoft Office\Office14\

Can you see the Excel.exe file?

If so, type Excel and see what error message it gives you.

When I do that - it brings me to
    Official Microsoft 365® Site - Formerly Office 365®
    https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-365
    AdCompare Plans & Pricing For The Latest Version of Microsoft 365® – Download Today!

Web & Mobile Access · World Class Security · Microsoft 365® Apps · 1 TB Of Cloud Storage

Service catalog: Access®, Excel®, Outlook®, PowerPoint®, Publisher, Skype®, Word

I suspect, due to "end of life" of Office 2010 in October, Microsoft are pushing everyone to get latest Office and don't care if you willing to keep using old version to the end. They have done this before...
    If you installed latest Windows updates(or, in Win10 you got them silently...) you might be victim of this...

515965.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

yeah \Office14\ means Office 2010

have you tried system restore to restore windows to it's last working configuration ?

This page should let you download office 2010 , but you will need your licence key
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/office

yeah \Office14\ means Office 2010

have you tried system restore to restore windows to it's last working configuration ?

This page should let you download office 2010 , but you will need your licence key
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/office

I can't explain what happened but the problem seems to be resolved this morning. All Exel, Word & Photoshop have opened with no issues.

Thanks to all the answers from everyone.
    Best wishes

Advertisement