Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photography Website

Options
  • 30-09-2015 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hey there, I have two websites at present and need help with a small issue on one. I know this could be posted in a wordpress forum but no matter who I speak to they have no idea what I'm talking about. Essentially when I post an image to the main page it is never sharp and always looks slightly off kilter. Images in the galleries and on the blog page are fine but the main hime images are woeful.

When I speak to web developers they reckon 'tis grand' . Has anyone experienced similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Link the page please. It might be an issue with the css.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭intolerant

Link the page please. It might be an issue with the css.

Yep, that would be handy. Here it is...

www.brianmulligan.me

It looks like the images for the homepage are being dynamically re sized to fit the element they are in

This is evidenced from:

http://brianmulligan.me/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Belle-Sebastian-Brian-Mulligan-Electric-Picnic-011-885x590.jpg

Notice the 885x590 at the end of the image name, the image has been re sized to that.

Here is the original image for comparison:
    http://brianmulligan.me/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Belle-Sebastian-Brian-Mulligan-Electric-Picnic-011.jpg

Whoever your designer is needs to get on this and fix it, whatever compression / processing is being applied to the image at the re size is causing the murkiness.

I also do not recommend using jpg for your images, the jpg compression algorithm leaves much to be desired when it comes to image quality. Look into using PNG instead which is a lossless format meaning that during compression there is no loss of data and the image is exactly the same every time.

Wow, thank you Salamanca, I appreciate you taking the time to check this for me. If I simply upload images to the size they are being resized to and in PNG would that not work better or does my designer need to alter something. I know that I'll be waiting for him to do this for a long time.

intolerant wrote: »
    Wow, thank you Salamanca, I appreciate you taking the time to check this for me. If I simply upload images to the size they are being resized to and in PNG would that not work better or does my designer need to alter something. I know that I'll be waiting for him to do this for a long time.

That would work better yes.

If you upload a png and the resolution is the same aspect ratio as what it will end up as on the homepage then there should be no loss of quality so long as there is no other processing on the server side except for the re sizing.

I also recommend making it so when you click the image on the home page it will show the full size image on screen like in your gallery pages or at least link to the gallery where that image is available.

• Advertisement

I'll ask him to do that Salamanca but the main page images are 'set featured images' options in the theme so not sure if it's possible.

If its a thing he is too busy or can't do this do you know any competent Web designers that might be willing to do this for me, paid work of course.

Regards

Brian

intolerant wrote: »
    I'll ask him to do that Salamanca but the main page images are 'set featured images' options in the theme so not sure if it's possible.

If its a thing he is too busy or can't do this do you know any competent Web designers that might be willing to do this for me, paid work of course.

Regards

Brian

Yes it would require some extra work to be done on the website in order to link the images to the correct place but it should not be too much work for any decent developer.

We can't recommend services here as far as I know but you can use a website such as freelancer to find developers from all over the world willing to do the work for you. It should not cost you too much and would only be 1 or 2 hours work tops.

Thanks for the tip and for taking the time to help me out, it's very much appreciated.

Ill get on to the original developer now.

Regards,

Brian

Advertisement