Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2001 W124!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Singapore import ?? Clocks in kph too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Where was that hiding till 2001!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

They made W124's in India for a good few years after they finished production as far as I know. That looks to be one of them, judging by its raised ride height that was for coping with the rough conditions of the roads over there.

The odometer is in kilometres, but the outer speedo is in miles per hour. Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The positioning of the rear wheels looks just wrong ...they are far too much forward in relation to the wheel arches
    Full?id=3487657

Somebody probably just stuck any kind of heavy doody springs in there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

There is another 01 in the country as well........and there is also that elusive white 07 ......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

VolvoMan wrote: »
    They made W124's in India for a good few years after they finished production as far as I know. That looks to be one of them, judging by its raised ride height that was for coping with the rough conditions of the roads over there.

It seems they were only sold in India from 1995-1997. It must be from somewhere else but where? They were built in South Africa too but only until 1995.

Unless it just wasn't registered from when it was built in the early/mid 90's until 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

years ago i was ordering an exhaust for a bmw that didnt seem right , the owner then told me the car was ten years older ,when it was imported it was registered 81 d *** instead of 71 d ***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭andr3w103

in south africa you could get a mark 1 golf up till last year...id say its an import from some other country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yeah South Africa is great for anachronistic cars (I was there earlier this year). You can still get the Mk. 4 Fiesta there, but only in pickup truck form. Numerous other oddities there, but the locally produced Mercs seem pretty standard there (maybe W123 production went on longer there, not sure, there's still loads around there anyway). They have proper roads there too (unless you go out in the sticks!), so cars have normal enough ride height. Oh yeah, and no 4-pot Mercs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭andr3w103

id say it was class:D...ye i think the original beetle was made in mexico untill 2003 aswell...i wonder would it be cheaper to import a new version of the car you want from another country than to buy one over here and restore it.......like i have this old russian motorbike thats rare in ireland and needs restoring.but you can get one new in vietnam for like 200 pound. then its around 250 to import it to england..so its far handier than tryin to get parts and stuff

http://www.mongolbikers.com/?p=20#comments (theres where i found out about the bike btw)

andr3w103 wrote: »
    id say it was class:D...ye i think the original beetle was made in mexico untill 2003 aswell...i wonder would it be cheaper to import a new version of the car you want from another country than to buy one over here and restore it.......

There is a 2004 registered original Mexican Beetle that lives around the Carrickmines area. Here's a very poor picture of it:

ABCD0008.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Didn't one of the Korean manufacturers build W124's under license, I'm pretty sure it was Ssangyong. Korea is LHD but they could have been supplying RHD models to Japan, Singapore or even Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Didn't one of the Korean manufacturers build W124's under license, I'm pretty sure it was Ssangyong. Korea is LHD but they could have been supplying RHD models to Japan, Singapore or even Australia.

Yes, the Ssangyong Chairman, but she looks a bit different to a W124

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SsangYong_Chairman

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

peasant wrote: »
    The positioning of the rear wheels looks just wrong ...they are far too much forward in relation to the wheel arches

Somebody probably just stuck any kind of heavy doody springs in there

If that was lowered a tad the wheels would sit perfectly! When I took mine down of the jack and it was settleing, it was the very same...

Nice as a taxi full of fat people :D

Advertisement