Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[BPB] 2014 Boards Photobook - Feedback

Options
  • 08-09-2015 1:12am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So the long awaited and delayed 2014 Photobook has now been launched. It has taken a fair bit of effort to get it published but it is now complete.

Even though the format of the book has been constant over the years, quite a bit has changed.

The first few editions were printed with Blurb. We used their software to create those books.

We changed to Shakespeare as the quality was better and it was produced in Ireland. We used their software to create the books. Unfortunately they ceased trading in 2014.

This edition we moved to Lettertec. They do not have their own software which meant a change across to Adobe InDesign. This was a steep learning curve but it has given a lot more options using the industry standard publishing tool.

This thread is to give some feedback to refer to when we start work on the next edition.

Some things have been set now in the series and will probably always stay. These include;

- Size and orientation. All books have been the same size and landscape format.
    - Plain cover. From the first edition it was decided not to highlight any particular image and as such all the covers have been a plain solid colour.
    - Hardback cover. It's just nicer.
    - One image per participant. It's your page and you can put forward what you like (with very few caveats)
    - No selection. It is open for all posters in the Photography forum to participate at all levels.

Feel free to post here what you like about the book and anything you think could be improved. We can take this into account for the next one. Also any ideas to bring this book to a wider audience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I think that there could also be a broader conversation around the book in that we could do a few more things as a forum - I know that a calendar was mentioned before. I think it would be fantastic if we launched an annual calendar, made up of the previous year's POTW - turn it into a competition of some sort and raise awareness at the same time?

I like the book as it is, I wouldn't change any of the items you mentioned (orientation/size etc.). I would love to see it go to a larger audience as it really is a fantastic product. I can't think of how though unfortunately and don't know of any channels myself.

For the quality, price and location of the printer I would be happy to continue with Lettertec for any future publications.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Now that my books have arrived in Australia and I have had a chance to look through them.

Very pleased with the quality of the book, paper, binding etc.

This is not a criticism but I notice that there seems to be a less contrast in the printed images than in the PDF version. Something to note in the future.

More than pleased to continue with Lettertec.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

Lettertec did a great job indeed.

The only thing I'd change would be to alternate the orientation between Landscape and Portrait every year !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

We have been lucky with publishers. Shakespeare were good quality as are Lettertec.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Damokc

Has everyone got their books this year?
    I've still not received it. I'm as bit out of the loop. Haven't logged in in ages. Last thing I got was an email about the books being sent out.
    CabanSail wrote: »
    We have been lucky with publishers. Shakespeare were good quality as are Lettertec.

• Advertisement

Damokc wrote: »
    Has everyone got their books this year?
    I've still not received it. I'm as bit out of the loop. Haven't logged in in ages. Last thing I got was an email about the books being sent out.

Yep. That's the last update - they're with Dav for postage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Damokc

Ah I see. Very good.☺

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭secman

Still waiting for my 2 sets of books !

Does anyone know if all of the books to be posted have been posted. I am still awaiting my 2 copies, the last I heard was that Dav was on holidays .

Dav is back ..... but the Hamsters escaped. Think they have them back inside the wheels now and the servers are working again.

Send Dav a PM to ask if the books have been posted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Hello all.

I'm very sorry about the photobook delay, I've been away, and upon my return, as you've all undoubtedly experienced, the site's been banjaxed and I've been beyond busy.

I do have the envelopes and all the rest now and am stuffing books into them this evening for posting first thing in the morning.

Dav wrote: »
    Hello all.

I'm very sorry about the photobook delay, I've been away, and upon my return, as you've all undoubtedly experienced, the site's been banjaxed and I've been beyond busy.

I do have the envelopes and all the rest now and am stuffing books into them this evening for posting first thing in the morning.

Hi Dav

Did you manage to post those envelopes?

Thanks

secman wrote: »
    Hi Dav

Did you manage to post those envelopes?

Thanks

???

Anyone else still waiting for their books ?

secman wrote: »
    ???

Anyone else still waiting for their books ?

This is leaving a bitter taste. ...... contributed, paid for 2 books and postage..... and no books as of today.

Please be patient, a lot has been happening behind the scenes for Dav and the books were caught up in it. It's unfortunate, but please bear with us. You should have them really soon.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057457680&page=6

Advertisement