Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unhappy in marriage

• 14-11-2018 6:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

I've been married only a number of months after dating my wife for 5 years. I'll cut to the chase and say i feel ive made a terrible mistake and done the wrong thing. I know i gave it plenty of thought before the wedding but i just put these feelings down to nerves. We're already seeing a therapist together and I'm taking anti-depressants for the last few weeks. I feel extremely trapped and unhappy, and in fairness my wife has been brilliant in terms of supporting me and i dont feel she deserves this. Shes an amazing person and i deeply care about her and i always thought of her as being a great wife and mother, but i know deep down this isnt what i want despite telling myself otherwise for years. I think it would be the wrong thing to have children as this situation wouldnt be fair on them. I'm desperate to do something and take action but anytime ive tried my wife breaks down. we're currently renting and if i left she has nowhere to go. This is driving me crazy and most days are a struggle for me. I've been depressed over this period but also feel extremely selfish, as my wife has done nothing to deserve this. we're both in our early 30s.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

As you said you don't have any kids. So separate. Your wife will be fine and ultimately be happier too. If you have kids it's far worse.

Why will you not be able to get another place? All you need is a shared room, or you can move to another city or even country that doesn't have a crazy housing issue. You only have yourself to support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Sooner the better for your wife's body clock. You're wasting her precious time. There's a whole grieving process for her yo go through still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Oh wow, OP please disregard the above comments.

You sound like you are in a dark place at the moment. I know you think your wife might be better off without you and your problems but shes a grown woman and can decide that for herself. It sounds like you do love her, and that she loves you. and she sounds loyal too, a great quality.

I wouldn't allow your depression to ruin all that you have, and i certainly wouldn't throw it away. i know it seems far off but you can beat this and feel better again. You will get back to the old you. Stop beating yourself up about this, Just be patient, and allow yourself the time you need.

You are getting help, and taking your meds, and that's such an important step. well done on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

OP it's not clear if you're actually unhappy in your marriage or if you're unhappy in general and this is spilling over into your marriage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Find a compassionate way to end this for both your sakes.

Its not going to be easy in the short term but, long term, its best for both of you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Gentrify this

It happens. So many people marry when they really shouldn't. I broke up with a girl recently even though she was perfect in so many ways, it just never felt right, and was making me depressed. I feel so much better today, in so many ways.
    At least you've no kids. But she probably knows what's up too. Leave sooner rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

It may be that your marriage situation is causing your depression, but it's also possible that your depression is causing you to want to get away from your marriage - the urge to withdraw from everyone and everything is one that a lot of people with depression will recognise.

Like others have said, it might be a good idea to give the anti-depressants and therapy a chance to kick in and see how you feel in a few months - whether or not you change your mind about wanting to leave the marriage, you'll hopefully be in a better position to think clearly about what would be the best thing to do for both of you.

All the best and take care OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies.

If I'm honest I would have had doubts even moving in with her and i did move in reluctantly. Im due to start other meds soon and its hard to say if they'll do me any good right now, even though I'm remaining optimistic. I have attempted to leave already a few weeks ago and there were tears and she claimed she'd never be able to trust anyone ever again. It's hard as there is no family of hers close by and mine are all around in a fairly close radius. Right now im having trouble sleeping and I'm weary it will affect my work. In many ways she is so right for me but i feel somethings missing. I don't think this is a grass is always greener issue, I need to listen to the doubts in my mind. It is a complicated situation to be in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

What exactly are your doubts?

You say:
    - Shes an amazing person
    -i deeply care about her
    i always thought of her as being a great wife and mother

And then:
    but i know deep down this isnt what i want despite telling myself otherwise for years.

You don't want her or you don't want to be married to anyone? What have you been telling yourself for years exactly?

Why were you reluctant to move in with her?

What are your doubts about her and your relationship?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I think you should try going to talk to a different counsellor on your own. There are some big issues affecting you alone and I don't think marriage counselling is the place to work on those. Your wife obviously wants to save the marriage and has a vested interest in you not leaving. You've got to get the bottom of why you're newly married and feel you have made a terrible mistake. Why you appear to have drifted into the situation you find yourself in now, even though it would appear you had reservations all the way along. You need somebody to work with you and help you figure out what's going on. Another big issue for you is your guilt over your wife if you decide you have to leave. If the marriage is indeed dead, staying because she's breaking down and has nowhere to go are terrible reasons. Unless she is incapable of living independently or of holding down a job, she'll be fine.

This isn't a matter to be dealt with hastily. From what I know of antidepressants, it can take time to find the right ones and for them to take effect. I also hope that your GP prescribed them for you because you genuinely need them, not because it's easier to just throw some pills at a problem. On a more practical note, wear a condom if you have sex with your wife. Hopefully she is not the sort of person who'll "forget" to take the pill but you never can know for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭Augme

She is manipulating you into staying. I know it is difficult for you to leave but for both of your sakes it has to happen. The whole situation doesn't sound healthy at all.

ive already gone to a therapist myself, told him my true feelings, and he suggested i bring my wife in to talk to him. at the moment weve bein goin around in circles n we've arrived where its that i feel confused about marriage, as my own parents split up too. all this doesnt feel genuine and i dont feel as if i want what she wants. the therapist i feel is waiting for me to come out with the truth. i feel suffocated and my head is melted from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

Augme wrote: »
    She is manipulating you into staying. I know it is difficult for you to leave but for both of your sakes it has to happen. The whole situation doesn't sound healthy at all.

I can’t tell if that is true. And tbh neither can you. And I’m not sure the OP can either. It sounds like depression is driving his judgement of his marriage, but it’s hard to tell really.

I think the OP needs to deal with his depression first off, and then re-evaluate his marriage after that.

Were you happy when you were living with your girlfriend? Who proposed?

Yes i was happy in that i was able to make it work somehow, i proposed. But im having doubts about starting a family and and eventually gettin a mortgage with her ive been burying my feelings for this long. i had put these issues on the backburner n said id worry about them later. i dont think i got married for the right reasons, and the thought of these responsibilities just feels plain wrong.

Have you always had a tendency to get depressed?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Totes

Hi Op

You have realised you have made a mistake and while it’s not ideal - you are not the first & definitely won’t be the last to find themselves in this situation.

You are not the devil because you want to leave your marriage - remember that.

I hope everything works out for both of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Yes i was happy in that i was able to make it work somehow, i proposed. But im having doubts about starting a family and and eventually gettin a mortgage with her ive been burying my feelings for this long. i had put these issues on the backburner n said id worry about them later. i dont think i got married for the right reasons, and the thought of these responsibilities just feels plain wrong.

I'll repeat what I posted before:

What exactly are your doubts?

You say:
    - Shes an amazing person
    -i deeply care about her
    i always thought of her as being a great wife and mother

And then:
    but i know deep down this isnt what i want despite telling myself otherwise for years.

You don't want her or you don't want to be married to anyone? What have you been telling yourself for years exactly?

Why were you reluctant to move in with her?

What are your doubts about her and your relationship?

Are you doubts about starting a family and a mortgage with her or would you have those same doubts with anyone?

If you could explain your doubts in more detail, as in give us the whys, you might get better advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭Augme

qwerty13 wrote: »
    I can’t tell if that is true. And tbh neither can you. And I’m not sure the OP can either. It sounds like depression is driving his judgement of his marriage, but it’s hard to tell really.

I think the OP needs to deal with his depression first off, and then re-evaluate his marriage after that.

He won't deal with his depression in his current toxic environment. He needs to leave, deal with his depression and then re-evaluation his marraige.

The main issue is that ive never felt as if ive truly loved her and had that chemistry with someone that makes for lasting and loving relationship, the glue that holds 2 people together. shes such a good person and good to me that ive ignored my gut for ages, and of course that we're married i feel trapped and my life is bound to feel exhausting and full of regret. i feel like a complete idiot and wish i wasnt such a bottler when it comes to women. im sick of feeling stressed and drained all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

OP if you've never truly loved her and felt no chemistry then it's pointless to keep forcing this relationship.

Get out now before things get even more permanent (children, mortgage). You owe that to her and to yourself.

Thanks all, i know what i need to do.Its now having the courage to do it.

Long term future with her doesnt excite me n ive had no real interest in booking things for us to go off and do together lately, as i know i wont enjoy it. the thought of having a child with her would truly send me over the edge as it would be completely irresponsible.

I may have to come out with it in front of the therapist i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Its easier said than done OP but you need to end it asap. Think of it like you are doing her a favor in the long run. If you continue with this marriage, you will both be miserable. Don't worry about where she will live, that is her business as a grown adult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

The main issue is that ive never felt as if ive truly loved her and had that chemistry with someone that makes for lasting and loving relationship, the glue that holds 2 people together. shes such a good person and good to me that ive ignored my gut for ages, and of course that we're married i feel trapped and my life is bound to feel exhausting and full of regret. i feel like a complete idiot and wish i wasnt such a bottler when it comes to women. im sick of feeling stressed and drained all the time.

Basically u want to ride other hot women and maybe marry a hot one someday ? Thats the cause of your depression? This one is hot enough?

I married a hot one ( not quite as hot anymore after kids etc, still nice) but I have always wanted to ride her hot sister, and so many other women I see in the gym/work etc

Not gonna lie its frustrating I can't, should be content with just beautiful wife, but we are animals with instinct, we can't help but fantasise and get down over it

All I'm trying to say OP is there's always someone hotter, you might never be content

You have it bad, I would let her go

She will find someone better and after riding a few hot ones you will more than likely miss your wife when she finds a nice guy, has beautiful kids, lives a good life etc

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Basically u want to ride other hot women and maybe marry a hot one someday ? Thats the cause of your depression? This one is hot enough?

I married a hot one ( not quite as hot anymore after kids etc, still nice) but I have always wanted to ride her hot sister, and so many other women I see in the gym/work etc

Not gonna lie its frustrating I can't, should be content with just beautiful wife, but we are animals with instinct, we can't help but fantasise and get down over it

All I'm trying to say OP is there's always someone hotter, you might never be content

You have it bad, I would let her go

She will find someone better and after riding a few hot ones you will more than likely miss your wife when she finds a nice guy, has beautiful kids, lives a good life etc

Chemistry is important but long term it will decline no matter who you marry. Especially after kids.
    The therapy is key. Unless you are happy internally nothing will improve.
    You need to really figure if it's her or you and quickly. Make a commitment to give therapy six months . After that decide. Don't keep trying to leave. Just in your own head give it six months.
    But as above poster stated you will tire of any woman after a while . You can't have a family and ride around you. You got to make a choice. You don't want to end up a separated dad.

When im with my friends and family my spirits are lifted and i feel more relaxed and at ease. ive vented to my family enough at this stage. when im with her I lm constantly reminded this is my life now. Its really driving me up the wall. Its frustrating as shes done absolutely nothing wrong. I'd give anything to just be happy with what i have, but im always trying to fight it.

I didnt have to worry about it before as i wasnt married but i would have thought about breaking up before but got to a stage where i was used to having her in my life. I told myself i can make this work but i was fooling myself all along. I realise ive made a horrendous mistake and ive beem running away from this for ages. I feel trapped and ive catastrophised everything that regards me being out of this relationship. ive been too much of a yes man and its brought me nothing but misery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

Do you think you are suited to a relationship or commitment OP not everyone is cut out for it, to decide to spend the rest of our lives with someone is a huge commitment and risk

i certainly dont think im suited to this marriage, but with past relationships i havent been happy either. i genuinely feel as if ive never met the right person ive been mad about thats felt the same about me. I think the rule of thumb for me going forward is to think of myself first instead of others, and to stop burying my feelings.

• Advertisement

It's very easy for us to sit here and diagnose what we think has gone wrong. That's dangerous because none of us knows you, your wife, your mental health history or what your relationship is like. All we can go by is what you're telling us. Random people on the internet aren't going to be able to give you the answers you need to this. It's not clear whether you're depressed because you made a mistake by marrying your wife or if you're depressed and it's driving your thinking. It's possible even you don't know the answer to this (yet) which is why I feel this is better left in the hands of professionals. If you believe you have not been honest with yourself and that being in a committed relationship is not what you want, that's fine. Just be sure that this is the truth before you pull the plug. There is no going back once the wheels are set in motion.

i certainly dont think im suited to this marriage, but with past relationships i havent been happy either. i genuinely feel as if ive never met the right person ive been mad about thats felt the same about me. I think the rule of thumb for me going forward is to think of myself first instead of others, and to stop burying my feelings.

These are eternal questions. I can't comment on your own relationship but be careful you aren't falling for some hollywood idea of what a relationship should be. People expect way, way too much from modern relationships. Beyond that, I suspect you are right in how you feel and you need to do what it takes to live the life you yourself want to live.

Hi all,

I ended up going to the therapist with my wife and basically came out with it. She went to her mothers for a week and when she returned i told her i didnt want to get married n i couldnt do this anymore. We both moved out of the house n we're now at each others mams house. it was the hardest week of my life, but in the new year im going to see a solicitor. This is the path im on now and i dont want to look back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

I admire you, op. That was a tough thing to do. Take it day by day. Stay single, although I think you know that's what you need to do. Keep your mental health in check and look forward.

Was really pleased to read your update.

It's hard enough to keep a marriage together with someone you are mad about. I don't see how it's possible if you are not thst bothered.

It might not feel like it now but you did the right thing OP. Your wife will hate you forever with reason, but that's the price of not having balls from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Shop40

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Sooner the better for your wife's body clock. You're wasting her precious time. There's a whole grieving process for her yo go through still

Can’t emphasise enough the importance of the above post OP.

Sorry OP, I see you made your decision. You did the right thing for both of you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Fair play to you op for calling it quits on it.

I don't think your future ex-wife has a right to hate you forever - nobody is obliged to remain in a relationship if they don't want to and can leave at any time. The dumped party just has to suck it up realistically.

I don't think your future ex-wife has a right to hate you forever - nobody is obliged to remain in a relationship if they don't want to and can leave at any time. The dumped party just has to suck it up realistically.

She has a right to feel what ever way she wants in fairness. It's not his circus anymore.

Thanks for the update. Things aren't going to be easy for you over the next while but hopefully you'll emerge from the dark place you're in. It's better to have pulled the plug on this even at this late(ish) stage than to plough on with things. I'm a big believer in listening to your gut but there are times when we aren't very good at hearing it. Perhaps once you've taken a step back from this, you'll start seeing things very differently. I feel sorry for both you and your wife. Both of you are going through hell and will never be the same people afterwards. It's better to rip the plaster off now than to endure death by a thousand cuts. I wish both of you every happiness in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Well done for having the courage to do what needed to be done.

Take care of yourself over XMAS and let your (soon to be) ex wife grieve in peace for a while before contacting her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

You done the right thing OP - but you done it a year too late. She has every right to be very pissed off with you, you'll really just have to suck that up!

But as I said, at the end of the day you done what was right, primarily for yourself but also for her. She won't see it that way for a long time though, possible never, so don't expect any thanks for it.

Concentrate on yourself and move on. The future is bright!

• Advertisement
Advertisement