Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Christmas Songs that remind you of Christmas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Nedington

Together in electric dreams has a Christmasy sound to it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Loughc wrote: »
    So absolutely E17 - Stay Another Day is not a Christmas song but it is always played at Christmas due to it being a Christmas number 1.

You're on thin ice now. The video has fake snow, church bells and the guys dressed in white snow suits.
    Couldn't be more Christmassy :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Heroditas wrote: »
    You're on thin ice now. The video has fake snow, church bells and the guys dressed in white snow suits.
    Couldn't be more Christmassy :D

That’s not the original video for the song. They filmed a brand new video for it when they realised they could tap into the Christmas market for the song. (And they added the bells too)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Has Stop the Calvary been mentioned here yet? If I recall there is no mention of Christmas anywhere in that song but somehow we only play it during the festive season.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Look what ye made me do ha

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/78yYSVGjSLvtSqTsLoFEdT?si=hwCP23NTQYGSADlgPL0umQ

Feel free to add any song you feel is a Christmas song is not

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

All of Morrissey's You Are the Quarry. Someone got it for me for Christmas in 2004 and I had it on my headphones non stop because I was a moody teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Batgurl wrote: »
    Has Stop the Calvary been mentioned here yet? If I recall there is no mention of Christmas anywhere in that song but somehow we only play it during the festive season.

Does it not have the line "wish I was at home for Christmas" in it?

I'm going to have to play this later to check :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Does it not have the line "wish I was at home for Christmas" in it?

I'm going to have to play this later to check :)

Yes it does. It wasn't meant to be a Christmas song. It was an anti war song but when the record company heard that line I'm nearly certain they put the sleigh bells on it and released it at Christmas time.

Mutleyboo wrote: »
    Pipes of peace is a Christmas song to me but I don't think it is an actual Christmas song. It was released in December which is probably the association. I played it loud today and got away with it ðŸ˜

It was released around Christmas time and the video was about the Christmas Day peace truce between german and British soldiers during the first world war where the soldiers stopped fighting and had a game of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭DvB

One line mentions it

"Wish I could be home for Christmas"

Boom.... Christmas tune!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Not sure if this counts but I can’t hear Wet Wet Wet’s song ‘Love is all Around’ without singing the wrong (Billy Mack) lyrics :D

That and ‘Lemon Tree’ by Fools Garden.

“I wonder how, I wonder why, Santa and his reindeer are able to fly...”

Weird, Lemon Tree is a summer song for me. Obviously Dustin's 'Christmas tree' homage was fill Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Scribbler100

I always associate Paul Young's version of "Love of the Common People" with Christmas. No reference to Christmas, but snow is mentioned, as is the warmth of home and family.

I always associate Paul Young's version of "Love of the Common People" with Christmas. No reference to Christmas, but snow is mentioned, as is the warmth of home and family.

Always thought there was a hint of Christmas about it too.

Yeah, i know where your coming from with that, not in the least a Christmas song but gives off a strong whiff of it for some reason... have a vague recollection it was on the christmas music channels too, though I am open to correction on that.

Great tune too.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 28,055 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What I find strange is that Only You by Flying Pickets seems to be accepted as part of the Christmas song 'canon', because it was a Christmas #1, even though it isn't chrimassy.

But that doesn't seem to be the case with the previous Christmas #1s, Dont You Want Me & Save You Love.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    What I find strange is that Only You by Flying Pickets seems to be accepted as part of the Christmas song 'canon', because it was a Christmas #1, even though it isn't chrimassy.

But that doesn't seem to be the case with the previous Christmas #1s, Dont You Want Me & Save You Love.

As mentioned above, I think its inclusion in the office Christmas special may have an influence on that perception.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,055 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

DvB wrote: »
    As mentioned above, I think its inclusion in the office Christmas special may have an influence on that perception.

Yes, interesting angle, though it was the original Yazoo version played in The Office though?
    But on the usual Christmas playlist is the Flying Pickets 'a capella' version which was a Christmas #1 in 1983 rather than the original Yazoo version.

There seems to be something about the song that made a deeper impression over and above other non-christmassy sounding Christmas #1s, which is possibly one of the reasons it was picked for the Office special - which may well then have solidified its place in the canon.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Sophie Ellis-Bextor 'Murder On The Dancefloor', remember it constantly being on the radio in the run up to Christmas 2001.

Quite a few others from 2001 actually, Stereophonics version of 'Handbags and Gladrags', iio's 'Rapture' and Samantha Mumba's take on 'Lately', all songs released late in the year that always give me the Christmas feels.

'Stan' by Eminem is about as un-Christmassy as you can get but (I think) it was Ireland's Christmas No.1 back in 2000, so that's another one. S Club 7's 'Never Had A Dream Come True', also from the year 2000. Oh childhood!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

^^^ Forgot about that S Club 7 song alright.
    Pure rip off of East 17's idea. Put the band in a few snowy scenes, stick big furry coats on them and look all lovingly into the camera :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

https://youtu.be/bqIxCtEveG8

Even part of my playlist, wasn’t new when I heard it, but gave off a cold/ warm vibe like the blast of a heater above the door on a shop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Just a general question on a Christmas Classic,:D

Walking in the Air and particularly the Ryan Sheridan Version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EDWfLOWjTc

What do people think of this ?

Personally, I like it but I'm not overly keen on changing classic songs in general.:mad:

That said, some reworks are often better than the originals.:(

Conflicted on a beautiful Sunday morning:confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,307 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

^^^ Forgot about that S Club 7 song alright.
    Pure rip off of East 17's idea. Put the band in a few snowy scenes, stick big furry coats on them and look all lovingly into the camera :)

Even though I agree - I kinda like it none the less!?

Does anyone here watch the music channels on the run up to Christmas ? - all day long they play Christmas music videos

All the classics like simply having a wonderful Christmas time or stop the cavalry. And of course Mariah - all I want for Christmas usually is the number 1 Christmas video.

It’s just occurred to me I could probably watch them whenever I liked on YouTube :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,307 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Another one I like but which is v much a Christmas song is U2s cover of I believe in Father Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

I challenge anyone to listen to this decidedly non-Christmas song and not think of Christmas :D

(Another gem from a random Spotify playlist)

https://youtu.be/PcxlAIZaE1o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Just a general question on a Christmas Classic,:D

Walking in the Air and particularly the Ryan Sheridan Version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EDWfLOWjTc

What do people think of this ?

Personally, I like it but I'm not overly keen on changing classic songs in general.:mad:

That said, some reworks are often better than the originals.:(

Conflicted on a beautiful Sunday morning:confused::D

I actually really like the ryan Sheridan version and its on my playlist despite being determined not to like it!

I always thought the music in Bruce Springsteen' Hungry Heart is Christmassy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Heroditas

That’s not the original video for the song. They filmed a brand new video for it when they realised they could tap into the Christmas market for the song. (And they added the bells too)

Don't ruin it for me! :D

(never knew that by the way)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Heroditas wrote: »
    Don't ruin it for me! :D

(never knew that by the way)

If I wanted to ruin it for you I’d tell you the meaning behind the song :P

If I wanted to ruin it for you I’d tell you the meaning behind the song :P

If they read the thread from the start its already there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Caravan of Love by the Housemartin's. Was probably released around Christmas but not particularly Christmassy.

Advertisement