Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cars similar to a Honda Accord

Options
  • 26-02-2021 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I am looking to buy a car for 6-8 grand similar in style to a honda accord, 9-3 or 3 series. I need something reliable but I am clueless about which car brands have good reliability and running cost. Any help would be appreciated as I really don't know what I am doing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

How about a Honda Accord?
    Or a Mazda 6

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ManInTheShed

which of the 2 would be preferable in your opinion? It doesn't necessarily have to be as large as the accord or 6 I just want something in a sedan/saloon style as I have only ever driven hatchbacks and I hate hatchbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Volvo s40 is a bit smaller in the back seats. Mazda honda & hyundai saloons would be the most reliable.
    Honda accord is one hell of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Look at the 2006 to 2010 Honda Civic saloon. A little bit smaller than the Accord but will just as reliable and you will have plenty of change left over from your budget.

That's true I also like the accord because they are not very common on the road. I know cars like the Avensis are good, reliable cars but they are extremely common which is slightly offputting. I am also a fan of the seat exeo for the same reason as I have only seen a handful of them in my time but I don't know how reliable they are.

• Advertisement

The Seat Exeo is basically an Audi A4 design that came out in 2001.

Is that a bad thing that it is basically an A4? Is it as unreliable as an A4? I was looking at the 9-3 but I don't know how hard parts would be to source seems as the company doesn't exist anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Why not a 9-5? Seems much roomier than the 9-3.

Not your ornery onager

I actually am not entirely bothered the size of the car. I don't have kids or anything so I am mostly just looking for something stylish. The accord just happens to be a nice looking car. The 9-5 seem to be harder to come across than the 9-3. Are saab expensive to maintain. I rarely bring my cars to official mechanics I just wonder would the parts be expensive for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

I actually am not entirely bothered the size of the car. I don't have kids or anything so I am mostly just looking for something stylish. The accord just happens to be a nice looking car. The 9-5 seem to be harder to come across than the 9-3. Are saab expensive to maintain. I rarely bring my cars to official mechanics I just wonder would the parts be expensive for it.

I have a manual 2010 exec 150hp accord, it has enough poke for most people. Best car I ever had. It has active cruise control, lane keep assist, factory xenons(dip only), collision mitigating brake assist(CMBS), reversing camera, sunroof, memory heated seats, parking sensors F+R. It never gave me trouble. I do all the servicing myself @ 10k kilometer intervals, and it's relatively easy once you do it a few times. I average 45mpg mixed driving. Try to get one with the same spec as mine. CMBS prevented me from crashing on quite a few occasions. I will never buy a car without a similar spec again.

I'm tempted to buy an automatic E220/520D/A6 2017/18 but I can't find something with similar safety features/spec, which is sad to say that a 2010 honda has more spec than the latest gen merc, bmw or audi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Is that a bad thing that it is basically an A4? Is it as unreliable as an A4? I was looking at the 9-3 but I don't know how hard parts would be to source seems as the company doesn't exist anymore.

Honda Accord would be known for being reliable, Saab not known for reliability

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

I never see too many accords for sale(good ones at least) prob a reason for that. Could ya get a uk import? Always liked them.

I have a manual 2010 exec 150hp accord, it has enough poke for most people. Best car I ever had. It has active cruise control, lane keep assist, factory xenons(dip only), collision mitigating brake assist(CMBS), reversing camera, sunroof, memory heated seats, parking sensors F+R. It never gave me trouble. I do all the servicing myself @ 10k kilometer intervals, and it's relatively easy once you do it a few times. I average 45mpg mixed driving. Try to get one with the same spec as mine. CMBS prevented me from crashing on quite a few occasions. I will never buy a car without a similar spec again.

I'm tempted to buy an automatic E220/520D/A6 2017/18 but I can't find something with similar safety features/spec, which is sad to say that a 2010 honda has more spec than the latest gen merc, bmw or audi.

What safety features would they be because a 2017/2018 A6/520d/E220 have more up to date safety tech than the Honda Accord which was launched back in 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

bazz26 wrote: »
    What safety features would they be because a 2017/2018 A6/520d/E220 have more up to date safety tech than the Honda Accord which was launched back in 2008.

Safety tech is more advanced in newer cars. But it's very difficult to find an example in that class of car specced with ACC, lane assist, pre-sense/collision prevention because they are often expensive optional extras

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

I am looking to buy a car for 6-8 grand similar in style to a honda accord, 9-3 or 3 series. I need something reliable but I am clueless about which car brands have good reliability and running cost. Any help would be appreciated as I really don't know what I am doing

9-3 would have been my recommendation but you've said it already.
    You'll pick up a time I've with your budget and have cash to spare.
    My brother has the 2 0T, brilliant car if fuel economy isn't too big an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Safety tech is more advanced in newer cars. But it's very difficult to find an example in that class of car specced with ACC, lane assist, pre-sense/collision prevention because they are often expensive optional extras

Accords with the options you’ve listed are super-rare too though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Accords with the options you’ve listed are super-rare too though.

They didn’t used to be. I bought an 08 Accord around 2017 which was fully spec’d as described. Every Accord I test drove was more or less the same. Plus or minus a sun roof or leathers.

Brilliant car. Only sold it because I emigrated.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have 2013 Type S, it doesn't have ACC, LKAS or CMBS. I don't miss them, probably because I never had them though.
    The rest of it is still worthy enough to be a decent car.
    Those ACC front grilles are a fortune to replace and that is why I didn't look for that tech when I bought mine, plus in Type S they are not that common anyway.
    It does have auto-dip and Bi-Xenon and cornering lights which I do find useful.

Yes but they were a rarity on any car back then and they were not standard even on the Accord. Your car was bit of a unicorn in that aspect.
    Brian? wrote: »
    They didn’t used to be. I bought an 08 Accord around 2017 which was fully spec’d as described. Every Accord I test drove was more or less the same. Plus or minus a sun roof or leathers.

Brilliant car. Only sold it because I emigrated.

I think we are talking about driver aids/safety features rather than the likes of creature comforts.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Yes but they were a rarity on any car back then and they were not standard even on the Accord. Your car was bit of a unicorn in that aspect.

I think we are talking about driver aids/safety features rather than the likes of creature comforts.

Ah ok.

In retrospect, I was always driving petrol automatic so they tend to have a higher spec anyway.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

A Volvo S60 or S80 maybe been Volvo they are all about safety or an S90 if you can afford one should have all the kit you need.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

Renault megane or fluence 1.5 dci engine

https://www.carsireland.ie/2720486
    https://www.carsireland.ie/2697540
    https://www.carsireland.ie/2732212

Reliable engine, top spec for its price, very economical deisel engine with decent boot and cabin size. Engine Used mostly by Nissan and Mercedes, cheap to insure, €200 road tax.

what more do you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

FrankC21 wrote: »
    Renault megane or fluence
    what more do you want.

Something like a Honda Accord!

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Something like a Honda Accord!

"Any help would be appreciated as I really don't know what I am doing"

He doesn't know what his doing?? I am telling him what he should do.

FrankC21 wrote: »
    Renault megane or fluence 1.5 dci engine

https://www.carsireland.ie/2720486
    https://www.carsireland.ie/2697540
    https://www.carsireland.ie/2732212

Reliable engine, top spec for its price, very economical deisel engine with decent boot and cabin size. Engine Used mostly by Nissan and Mercedes, cheap to insure, €200 road tax.

what more do you want.

A car with reliable electronics?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Feck all wrong with the electronics on a Fluence.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Feck all wrong with the electronics on a Fluence.

Really? That's a first for Renault.

they/them/theirs

You obviously still lives in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Whatever you pick make sure it isn't the Mazda 6 unless it's petrol. Would you consider the A5?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Not sure if you would find one but if you can maybe a VW Pheaton.

https://www.autovillage.co.uk/used-car/volkswagen/phaeton/cli_964-1_3298698

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement