Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cardiff vs Munster, Fri 26th Feb 8pm, Live on Eir/TG4

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That was beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭almostover

And Joey seals the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Carty to start v Scotland!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Great kick... confidence is high

CMcsporty wrote: »
    Carty to start v Scotland!!!!!

Not letting you ninja edit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Not a good performance but job done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Goodman Whitehouse!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

almostover wrote: »
    Had to have been a penalty try for collapsing regardless. But with this ref you couldn't have bet on it

Collapsing / 21 joining wherever he wanted ... take your pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭almostover

Good win, sloppy performance. Need to be more clinical with that much territory and possession. Kleyn should have been Mom. He was excellent.

Not letting you ninja edit

I’d have him on the plane to Rome tonight!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Positives: Joey got on........

And we won. That's about all I'm taking from that on first impression . Frustrating game.

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

Goodman Whitehouse!!!

First time that's been said in these parts for a while 🤣🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

razorblunt wrote: »
    Collapsing / 21 joining wherever he wanted ... take your pick.
    The ref allowed a free for all with the maul all game. 5 swam up every one and was let away with it.

That joey-jj 10-12 axis could be interesting

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Positives: Joey got on........

And we won. That's about all I'm taking from that on first impression . Frustrating game.

What about KOBs hair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

Who got motm? Was Kleyn for me excellent game

sioda wrote: »
    Who got motm? Was Kleyn for me excellent game

Welsh flanker I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Welsh flanker I think

Decided before the game. Holley had him singled out from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Welsh flanker I think

Jenkins.

Expected with the comms team I guess.
    Cloete was better than him on his own.
    Kleyn was better than both.

Jenkins is back from 2 years out there and has come back very strongly to be fair. Can’t begrudge him too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Carbery is the 50th player we have used this season.

Patterson has been an unused sub twice now.

One win out of our last three games should see us into the final

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Always seems a loose game whenever we play Cardiff. Would’ve felt like one we left behind if we didn’t get the win, had a poor return from entries into the 22, especially in the first half.

Great to see Joey back tho, not very involved but took it nice and flat and late when he got a chance and nailed that conversion.

Looking forward to Connacht match now!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Decided before the game. Holley had him singled out from the start.
    Holley was in Belfast tonight......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

aloooof wrote: »
    Always seems a loose game whenever we play Cardiff. Would’ve felt like one we left behind if we didn’t get the win, had a poor return from entries into the 22, especially in the first half.

Great to see Joey back tho, not very involved but took it nice and flat and late when he got a chance and nailed that conversion.

One win if it's against Connacht will see Munster through, else we need 2

I always to back to the old saying that you have to earn the right to go wide. In the first half Munster were flinging the ball around without drawing in any defenders to create the space. In the second half the went back to basics and scored two trys without playing well.
    If they'd done the basics in the first half and threw it around in the second it could have been a much more comfortable game.

Still as you say good to see JC back.

One win if it's against Connacht will see Munster through, else we need 2

Nope 2 wins wouldn't be needed. We lose to Connacht and we're still a minimum of 4 points ahead of them. If we did lose 0-5, then 6 points from the last two games would do. If it was 1-4 the it would still be a 6 point gap and one win would do. And that would only be if Connacht 10 from their last two games.

We also have 3 games more won, so they can't beat us on that either.

I expect munster to win all three though.

• Advertisement

Very impressed with Jack O'Donoghue, seems to have really grown into the team leader role...
    must be in the reckoning for the autumn internationals at this point

I always to back to the old saying that you have to earn the right to go wide. In the first half Munster were flinging the ball around without drawing in any defenders to create the space. In the second half the went back to basics and scored two trys without playing well.
    If they'd done the basics in the first half and threw it around in the second it could have been a much more comfortable game.

Still as you say good to see JC back.

Massive gap for their try defensively as well, and that was off a pen advantage where someone fell off a tackle as well in a earlier phase where they got a huge gain as well. Particularly in the first half, Cardiff seemed to be able to get 30-40 yards in 2-3 phases. Will need to tidy that up on the defensive side of things too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Very impressed with Jack O'Donoghue, seems to have really grown into the team leader role...
    must be in the reckoning for the autumn internationals at this point

He is deceptively fast for a big man, I am impressed with him as well.
    I'd still rather see him stay with Munster instead of getting milled on International duty.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,862 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

CJhaughey wrote: »
    He is deceptively fast for a big man, I am impressed with him as well.
    I'd still rather see him stay with Munster instead of getting milled on International duty.

You don't think he's up to test level rugby??

sydthebeat wrote: »
    You don't think he's up to test level rugby??

I do, It's just at this stage of the 6N and given the results so far, I would rather he stay with Munster then join the International setup and get injured.
    I get more satisfaction watching Munster than Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,862 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I do, It's just at this stage of the 6N and given the results so far, I would rather he stay with Munster then join the International setup and get injured.

Strange that you wouldn't wish the best for your own player.

I've been a huge JOD fan for ages and he continuously progresses his game. His scramble defense last night, his work on defensive line outs and his link play out wide showed how valuable a player he can be.

But I'm not a 'munster only' fan. I'm a leinster and Ireland fan who shouts for the other irish teams when not playing leinster, and I'd like to see him get some better recognition at test level as I think he's earned it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Until JOD establishes himself in a first choice Munster team I think he'll struggle to get into the Irish squad.

Great competition to have though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Interesting way to say you care more about munster than Ireland.

bayern wrote: »
    Interesting way to say you care more about munster than Ireland.

It is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

JOD got a serious injury at the worst possible time: May 2018. He was 24, had made 18 starts that season and ended the campaign as a starter at 7 alongside POM and CJ. He went off against Leinster in the league semi-final with the Ireland squad to Australia announced the following week. He ended up missing nine months. Perhaps if he had made that tour, his Ireland prospects would be different now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

My only observation is that there isn't a single player in Ireland who'd rather be toiling away in meaningless Pro14 games than be in Ireland camp, JOD would be no exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Strange that you wouldn't wish the best for your own player.

I've been a huge JOD fan for ages and he continuously progresses his game. His scramble defense last night, his work on defensive line outs and his link play out wide showed how valuable a player he can be.

But I'm not a 'munster only' fan. I'm a leinster and Ireland fan who shouts for the other irish teams when not playing leinster, and I'd like to see him get some better recognition at test level as I think he's earned it.

I agree with you but I think if he was called up to Ireland, he'd be a squad player getting very little game time. Like Mccloskey or Ruddock. I'd rather (selfishly) see him playing for Munster than not even benching for Ireland. I think it would take a few injuries for him to get a run with Ireland.

To be clear, I rate JOD and think he's a fantastic player but what's his best position?

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I agree with you but I think if he was called up to Ireland, he'd be a squad player getting very little game time. Like Mccloskey or Ruddock. I'd rather (selfishly) see him playing for Munster than not even benching for Ireland. I think it would take a few injuries for him to get a run with Ireland.

To be clear, I rate JOD and think he's a fantastic player but what's his best position?

I think his versatility has nearly hampered him towards not nailing down one position. 6 is probably his best position for me, but Munster have so many options there. POM, Stander, Coombes and Beirne all options there and all in the conversation for the Ireland squad.

I’m always impressed by his pace. On scramble d last night, he was first back on a couple of occasions. We’ve seen it in attack as well this season, off counter-attacking tries, he’s been the first man on the shoulder after a break.

He’s such an asset for these Pro14 games, and looks to be stepping into the Billy Holland role, but you’d imagine he’ll be disappointed if he doesn’t get more international honours.

I think his versatility has nearly hampered him towards not nailing down one position.

He has said this himself on at least one occasion, Ireland seems to have a conveyor belt of 4,5,6,7 and its a very tough position to break into.
    Cloete breaks that tall flanker role though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

Munster were poor enough at times, in the opening few minutes players lost sight of where the ball was in the ruck or as it left the ruck. We lost huge ground at times because of silly errors/turnovers - a bit like Ireland on Saturday really.

I think Kleyn could be cited so we might not have him for the Connacht game, a win next Friday and we're home and hosed to the final.

The less said about the officials the better but they were equally bad for both teams so it balanced itself out.

Positives for me was Joey getting back to playing rugby and the workrate form JOD and Billy Holland when he came on to steady the ship.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

How long is the citing window? 48 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Cited for what?
    I missed that.

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Cited for what?
    I missed that.

This was doing the round on twitter

I'm biased but I don't see much in it myself

https://twitter.com/Smallclone_/status/1365396119530971144

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭irelandrover

THats not great, but it doesnt look to be on the head so a yellow card.

THats not great, but it doesnt look to be on the head so a yellow card.

Ya I couldn't argue if he got a yellow.

But a red, no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

ah yes yes I remember thinking we got away with that one at the time now.
    Citing commissioners warning for a yellow maybe but Id say nothing will be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

yerrahbah wrote: »

Saw it at the time and was convinced it would be blown for a yellow at the time.
    don't know what the TMO was doing that that was missed.
    Looks like a shoulder charge with force, but doesn't seem to have hit the player in the head as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

yerrahbah wrote: »

That's the incident, didn't see it again until now and I think I agree with you it was never a red card offence. A the time I thought it warranted a look.

Advertisement