Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abs and brake light on

• 21-02-2021 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Anyone on here any ideas about this, had a small tip December with my audi a4 08 and since them the parking brake and abs sensor is on and off when it suits itself although more on than off I noticed today that the car gives a little jolt at times and then the lights go off. I haven't changed the sensor yet but I'm wondering now is it more likely something different at that seems above a faulty sensor issue. The parking brake and brakes are working fine despite the light

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭Dirty Nails

Tomtom3105 wrote: »
    Anyone on here any ideas about this, had a small tip December with my audi a4 08 and since them the parking brake and abs sensor is on and off when it suits itself although more on than off I noticed today that the car gives a little jolt at times and then the lights go off. I haven't changed the sensor yet but I'm wondering now is it more likely something different at that seems above a faulty sensor issue. The parking brake and brakes are working fine despite the light

One mans small tip is another mans write off :)
    Did it get loom damage?

How do you know which sensor to change?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Tomtom3105

One mans small tip is another mans write off :)
    Did it get loom damage?

How do you know which sensor to change?

I changed the one where the damage was,drivers side because I cracked the stub axle there, that was the main damage or so i thought..... Since I wrote this I was driving it it gave a little jolt threw the lights off and they haven't come back on yet. How would you tell if it got loom damage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭Dirty Nails

Tomtom3105 wrote: »
    I changed the one where the damage was,drivers side because I cracked the stub axle there, that was the main damage or so i thought..... Since I wrote this I was driving it it gave a little jolt threw the lights off and they haven't come back on yet. How would you tell if it got loom damage?

Get ya. Not always easy see loom damage - just look/feel along the wires for marks anywhere you think they might have got pinched in the tip.Intermittent faults are often a bustard to find,I'd get someone to try reading the memory in that. It might,at least,point you the right direction. What you called the H/B light - has it a (!) or a (P) symbol? Seems unlikely that handbrake light would be on for an Abs fault.

(P) its both the parking brake and the abs according to the onboard computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Check your brake fluid, can throw errors when low.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

The little jolt that turns on and off both ABS and brake light sounds like the ABS kicking in and out.

Takes quite a jolt to crack a stub axle. Did you change the ABS lead and toothed ring or magnetic bearing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

There might not be any visible damage on the loom. I have seen a loom that looked perfect but it had been stretched and wires had snapped inside the insulation so you wouldn't know but it was perfect.

Sometimes the only fix is to replace a whole wiring harness. However, for a 08, that will probably be a write off economically.

kadman wrote: »
    The little jolt that turns on and off both ABS and brake light sounds like the ABS kicking in and out.

Takes quite a jolt to crack a stub axle. Did you change the ABS lead and toothed ring or magnetic bearing?

Nope just the axle and the track rod and tie rod and the sensor. It was a belt like do you think other stuff needs to be changed ?

How do I fix the abs kicking in and out what needs replacing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Did you have the codes read and cleared or just replacing things.

• Advertisement

greasepalm wrote: »
    Did you have the codes read and cleared or just replacing things.

Just replaced the things that were broken.

You might have to get codes read and cleared as it can point to something else maybe like a brake light switch?

I have worked on cars that had intermittent faults on poor abs leads. Your one took enough of an impact to
    crack a stub axle.
    Definitely the lead and sensor now needs checking and maybe replacing.

If its magnetic ring on the bearing for the ABS, then a magnet can alter its effectiveness from an impact.

As its ABS problems I would have thought a code readout would have been the first thing to check for,

as correctly stated already by another poster.

If you are going to replace the ABS lead on the damaged side, replace the 2 from the same manufacturer.

I myself have fitted new, but different manufactured cables to my own car, and ending up spending weeks to finally

diagnose a mis match of differing new cables. Once they were paired like with like, it was perfect.

I agree that codes need to be read first . You can buy a card to check the bearing magnet on the hub if it is a magnetic setup.

Perfect. Thanks :)

Any luck with your ABS light problems:)

Going at it this weekend will let you know 😊

Changed the sensor lights went out, whether they stay out is another thing heres hoping

But did you not get the codes read / erased?

greasepalm wrote: »
    But did you not get the codes read / erased?

Nope if the lightd come back on i will have to though i just put the senor on and and wait and see what happens.

Hmm my reading on this brakes may not work as expected ??

Hopefully others can have their say on this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement