Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus 2007 1.4 petrol - MAF or MAP?

Options
  • 19-02-2021 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

I'm helping a friend out with his 2007 Focus 1.4 petrol at the moment. The car is sluggish in 1st, 2nd and 3rd and hesitating under acceleration. There's an intermittent check engine light but I don't have the scanner to check the codes.

One thing that came up on my search was to clear the MAF sensor with EGR cleaner - pretty straightforward, but we can't locate the MAF.

Checked everywhere around the airbox and intake pipes but can't find it. It should be obvious with an electrical connector attached.

My question is, does this model even have a MAF? There seems to be various configurations of 1.4 petrol Ford engines and can't find a definite answer online. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 wmMagner

Sounds like ignition coil pack. If you drive it hard, does it just splutter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Pull a plug lead and see is there water down around the plugs.

Water can get in around the windscreen washer jets or there is frost plugs down beside the plugs that corrode and leak.

Does it idle OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Pops_20 wrote: »
    I'm helping a friend out with his 2007 Focus 1.4 petrol at the moment. The car is sluggish in 1st, 2nd and 3rd and hesitating under acceleration. There's an intermittent check engine light but I don't have the scanner to check the codes.

One thing that came up on my search was to clear the MAF sensor with EGR cleaner - pretty straightforward, but we can't locate the MAF.

Checked everywhere around the airbox and intake pipes but can't find it. It should be obvious with an electrical connector attached.

My question is, does this model even have a MAF? There seems to be various configurations of 1.4 petrol Ford engines and can't find a definite answer online. Thanks

MAP sensor will be on the inlet manifold, there may not be a maf sensor at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jonsturbo2

Coil , plug lead or lastly one of the sensors either side of the cat are my bet .
    All are handy enough to replace .

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Thanks all, I passed these suggestions on.
    wmMagner wrote: »
    Sounds like ignition coil pack. If you drive it hard, does it just splutter?

Need to confirm this, as its only been on short trips around down.
    Stoolbend wrote: »
    Pull a plug lead and see is there water down around the plugs.

Water can get in around the windscreen washer jets or there is frost plugs down beside the plugs that corrode and leak.

Does it idle OK?

There are some idling issues as well, a little bit rough or spluttery on idle.
    kona wrote: »
    MAP sensor will be on the inlet manifold, there may not be a maf sensor at all.

This might be the case. I have a haynes manual for the Fiesta and that 1.4 engine uses a MAF. Its the same engine in the focus I believe but there may be some differences.
    If the MAF isn't easy to find up around the airbox then I guess it must have a MAP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Any hissing of air from breather pipe under plastic manifold as they collapse and suck air.
    Standing at front of engine on left side under plastic manifold.

Also agree plugs, leads, and coil packs.

Advertisement