Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long have you been following F1 for?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Ah come on now, nothing says soul like "Midland"! :pac:

I remember getting the F1 2000 yearbook when I was just 6 and spending hours reading it cover-to-cover trying to make sense of all the bar charts. That said, I don't remember watching any races live before 2002, but I was a total Schumi fanboy from then on. I still try to catch all of the races live, even despite Merc's dominance and David Croft's insipid utterings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Fa810

Me, since 1998. It gets a bit boring these days, but still loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,682 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Rawr wrote: »
    Got into it in the 90's and became a massive Jordan F1 fan.
    Once they disappeared, my interest alas also evaporated. The remaining teams felt somewhat soul-less compared to Eddie's crew.

Not seeing Eddie on the pitwall at the opening race of the 2005 season was a big kick in the nuts for me. While the Jordan name was still used that year, I didn't follow the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tenry

I've been following F1 since the early 2000s, when Schumacher and Barrichello were Ferrari drivers, competing (dominating) Raikkonen's McLaren.
    I was rooting for Kimi because I didn't like the Ferarri domination. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

about 18 years today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

By total chance the first grand prix I ever watched was Imola 1994 and have been following F1 with various levels of attention since then. I was young kid flicking through the TV channels on that Sunday afternoon looking for something to watch, got to BBC2 to see the grand prix about to start so decided to watch it and then the massive crash on the grid involving Lamy/Lehto caught my attention and sadly we all know what happened not too long after that

I'd vaguely had heard of Senna before that race and didn't know what to make of it as a young kid watching a serious incident unfold but I kept watching the race when it restarted. I ended up watching most races in that dramatic season and became a huge Damon Hill fan for his performances that year taking the title to the wire and was hooked on F1 until about 2001 when Jordan, Hakkinen/McLaren started to falter and Schumacher/Ferrari started to dominate

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

1991 for me and loved it for about 2 decades.
    The arrival of DRS and Boost along with the rise of Mercedes has killed it for me though and haven't watched it much in about 7 or 8 years.
    Its disappointing in a big sense, as I was a huge fan, had lots of gear, went to a few races and remember when there was a store in liffey Street and later Blanchardstown selling gear.

Loved Villeneuve (will never forget Jerez 1997), Montoya and Alex Zannardi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

96. Was a huge fan til maybe 2006 or 2007. Even used to stay up for the Australian gp. Just a passing interest in it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I used to watch it with my family as a kid (early-mid 2000s) when Jordan was in the sport and it was on free-to-air on RTE.

Fell out of interest for years.

Somehow renewed my interest in 2014 (really can't remember why) and started following it more closely following the 2014 Monaco GP (Marussia points).

Landed on McLaren as my team and have been following it properly since.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

about 1978 i remember ronnie petersons death at imola

definitely watch a lot less these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Definitely mid 1980s, I think the first proper race I watched (with my dad) on TV was in 1985; I have this vague memory of Alboreto being in the hunt for the WDC. First season I remember properly, watching all races and so on, was 1989 (although my parents wouldn't allow me to stay up late to watch the second half of races in the USA and Mexico :) ). Back then, the last two races in Japan and Australia were the big kicker, happening at times like 4.00am - usually when the championship was decided.

Haven't faltered through the years - maybe during the Ferrari/Schumacher domination era I was a bit less interested. Today...issue isn't Mercedes, or Hamilton, nor DRS or the tires. It's the sterile, flattening technology at play (an issue that spans much, much, much further than F1).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Since 1st May 1994. I'd say I could count on one hand the number of races I missed over the following 10 years. I'd miss the odd race since but still follow it closely. Nowadays as its behind the paywall I only watch the highlights on C4 and find them very good actually, don't feel like I'm missing too much by not seeing the full race. Since I started racing myself I'm often not around to watch them live anyway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

92/93, when I was 6 or 7, remember Mansell winning. Good times with my Dad. Did not miss a race for many many years.

Advertisement