Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possible blown head gasket?

• 25-11-2020 9:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

So I've been having coolant issues with my car for a while, I thought it was sorted with the last trip to my mechanic but unfortunately not. The radiator and water pump have been changed, no sign of leaks around thermostat, there was a small leak where the bottom hose connects to radiator but that was fixed with a new hose clamp. Car drives fine, idles fine, no smoke from exhaust, no coolant/oil mixing. But my mechanic reckons its head gasket, he could be right. The only symptoms I have is that if I drive over 3000rpm the coolant tank will immediately empty itself. I tested this where I drove about 80km over a couple days kept it under 2500rpm and not a drop of coolant missing from the overflow. I then did one 15minute drive where I put the foot down and checked the overflow tank again. Nothing in it. So why is it loosing coolant only under high pressure/hard driving? I've also noticed a steady stream of bubbles when I let the car warm up without the radiator cap on, I just want someone to tell me it's not head gasket related, but it probably is.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Mechanic could do a pressure test and or an exhaust test to confirm.. sounds like it is though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

listermint wrote: »
    Mechanic could do a pressure test and or an exhaust test to confirm.. sounds like it is though

Pressure test has been done, I was told it wasn't great but not bad either. Is this a direct diagnosis for a blown head gasket? Don't think any exhaust test has been done,what does that include?

BlakeS94 wrote: »
    Pressure test has been done, I was told it wasn't great but not bad either. Is this a direct diagnosis for a blown head gasket? Don't think any exhaust test has been done,what does that include?

Wasn't great?... It's either holding appropriate pressure or its not . If it's not then test failed.

It's a chemical test of the coolant reservoir. Combined with a pressure test if both are bad then it's the head.

• Advertisement

It's a chemical test of the coolant reservoir. Combined with a pressure test if both are bad then it's the head.

Probably sugar coating it for me so, I'll ask them to do the exhaust check before we know for sure, I should probably mention it's a Hyundai i40 with about 215000km on the clock. There was issues with the heads on those, oh well, off I go to reach deep into my pocket

Probably sugar coating it for me so, I'll ask them to do the exhaust check before we know for sure, I should probably mention it's a Hyundai i40 with about 215000km on the clock. There was issues with the heads on those, oh well, off I go to reach deep into my pocket

Based on what youve said so far. I'd probably not throw any more money at it. And start looking at replacement. If that's engine or vehicle it's up to you.

Personally it would probably be vehicle for me.

Based on what youve said so far. I'd probably not throw any more money at it. And start looking at replacement. If that's engine or vehicle it's up to you.

Personally it would probably be vehicle for me.

You don't think replacing the gasket would be enough?

You don't think replacing the gasket would be enough?

With they model. It's probably a skim too. But replacing the gasket alone prob has 12 hours labour on it.

Is the car worth it ?

With they model. It's probably a skim too. But replacing the gasket alone prob has 12 hours labour on it.

Is the car worth it ?

It has to be, can't afford to fork out for another, I've great luck with cars haha

• Advertisement

Quoted ballpark €1200 for the job. Head gasket kit, head to be skimmed, labour, and oil/filter and coolant change. This sound like a decent price to anyone that's had the job done?

Quoted ballpark €1200 for the job. Head gasket kit, head to be skimmed, labour, and oil/filter and coolant change. This sound like a decent price to anyone that's had the job done?

Sounds around the money youd be looking at. Not super Low not super high. In the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d

Ya the price is in and around what I’d be expecting to be quoted. I’d be going with the head also based on what you have told us. I would like to check the coolent bottle and exhaust for gases. Not sure if your mechanic has but tests. But to me just me personal experience it sounds like there’s a crack in the head and when the engine is revved that’s when the head is splitting and causing your problems.
    If your gona pay to fix it that’s all well and good just make sure the head isn’t cracked so for that your gona have to get the head pressure tested on the bench. If it does end out being cracked your after having a mechanic say do half the time let’s say 6 hours and now the head is useless.

Have you priced a second hand engine for the car this is what I’d possibly be looking into.
    It might actually be cheaper if your mechanic is worth his salt just to swap out the engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

What year is it

I'd change car

Bmw123d wrote: »
    Ya the price is in and around what I’d be expecting to be quoted. I’d be going with the head also based on what you have told us. I would like to check the coolent bottle and exhaust for gases. Not sure if your mechanic has but tests. But to me just me personal experience it sounds like there’s a crack in the head and when the engine is revved that’s when the head is splitting and causing your problems.
    If your gona pay to fix it that’s all well and good just make sure the head isn’t cracked so for that your gona have to get the head pressure tested on the bench. If it does end out being cracked your after having a mechanic say do half the time let’s say 6 hours and now the head is useless.

Have you priced a second hand engine for the car this is what I’d possibly be looking into.
    It might actually be cheaper if your mechanic is worth his salt just to swap out the engine.

My mechanic has just done a pressure test which was inconclusive I would say as the coolant overflow cap wouldn't hold in the pressure around 1.5 psi with a hand pump. Haven't looked at any second hand engines bit of it's an issue with those cars wouldn't another engine of the same kind be a risk also? It's in with Hyundai main dealer at the moment to properly diagnose the issue. They have already told me from the same information I've given you the technician dealing with it thinks it'll either be head gasket, cylinder head cracked, or both. Have to wait and see

Pasteur. wrote: »
    What year is it

I'd change car

2013. I don't want to change if I can help it, still have a good bit of the original loan on the car to pay off

Got the car back from main dealer, dodged a bullet, head gasket in good condition, system held pressure, thermostat was at fault, stuck closed causing the overheating and some coolant loss, heater core also needs changing but they said it's not urgent the thermostat was the main issue. €145 all in, I'm a happy little boy this Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 29 btree

Congratulations. Great to hear that you have sorted it out. A good lesson for me too.

Thanks,
    Got the car back from main dealer, dodged a bullet, head gasket in good condition, system held pressure, thermostat was at fault, stuck closed causing the overheating and some coolant loss, heater core also needs changing but they said it's not urgent the thermostat was the main issue. €145 all in, I'm a happy little boy this Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭John.G

Amazed that thermostat wasn't one of the very first items checked.

If this is the Hyundai I40, changing/checking the stat was suggested very early on, also the stream of bubbles should now also be gone.

John.G wrote: »
    Amazed that thermostat wasn't one of the very first items checked.

If this is the Hyundai I40, changing/checking the stat was suggested very early on, also the stream of bubbles should now also be gone.

Haven't checked for bubbles again just yet, but car has been sitting for the past 12 days or so without being started and the coolant overflow went from the full to low line indication on the overflow bottle? No sign of coolant underneath the car. Head gasket is the only thing left entire cooling system components have been replaced, except the heater core which will be done soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Head gasket is the only thing left ...........

Has to be going somewhere though

Head cracked ?

Block cracked ?

gctest50 wrote: »
    Has to be going somewhere though

Head cracked ?

Block cracked ?

I dont know, just going to have the head gasket changed along with the heater core. Engine performs well and theres no dramatic symptoms that a cracked head or block would indicate, no power loss and no smoke

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Roversfc

I dont know, just going to have the head gasket changed along with the heater core. Engine performs well and theres no dramatic symptoms that a cracked head or block would indicate, no power loss and no smoke

Hi, have you got this sorted out yet? Im currently having the same problem with my i40

Roversfc wrote: »
    Hi, have you got this sorted out yet? Im currently having the same problem with my i40

It's in the garage at the moment for head gasket replacement I'll update when it's back. Seems to be a not so uncommon issue with these i40's. And here I thought the reliability would be better after switching from an Audi

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Roversfc

It's in the garage at the moment for head gasket replacement I'll update when it's back. Seems to be a not so uncommon issue with these i40's. And here I thought the reliability would be better after switching from an Audi

Do you mind me asking how much its going to cost? Ive also changed the water pump and radiator but still the same problem. Also in the last couple of weeks the reversing camera has kicked the bucket along with the driver side DRL. Have it booked in for a pressure test on wednesday if it ends up being the head gasket I'll be getting rid of it

Roversfc wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking how much its going to cost? Ive also changed the water pump and radiator but still the same problem. Also in the last couple of weeks the reversing camera has kicked the bucket along with the driver side DRL. Have it booked in for a pressure test on wednesday if it ends up being the head gasket I'll be getting rid of it

I was quoted ballpark €1200 for the job including the head being skimmed. In the last year or so I've changed every part of the cooling system and it still didnt stop the leak so has to be head gasket. What year is yours? The reversing camera was a manufacturing fault just bad quality unit mine was replaced under warranty by previous owner. As for the DRLs I haven't had issues yet but see many i40s on the road with only one working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

I was quoted ballpark €1200 for the job including the head being skimmed. In the last year or so I've changed every part of the cooling system and it still didnt stop the leak so has to be head gasket. What year is yours? The reversing camera was a manufacturing fault just bad quality unit mine was replaced under warranty by previous owner. As for the DRLs I haven't had issues yet but see many i40s on the road with only one working

I bought one from a dealer 16 months ago, found out after the manifold was melted when they sold it to me. Still trying to get my money back. The i40 engines seem real soft.

UPDATE: have the car back and all seems well. Cost €1,420 by the end of it. Had to replace glow plugs because they all sheared during removal. They also flushed the whole cooling system and installed some bushings for me. Hopefully it's good from now on

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

These are known for the blocks having hairline cracks in the block.

The bolt holes for the head were drilled too shallow in the block and once the head is tightened down the block cracks.

Honestly I wouldnt say its the end of your problems and Id probably bet the head gasket was ok.

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote: »
    These are known for the blocks having hairline cracks in the block.

The bolt holes for the head were drilled too shallow in the block and once the head is tightened down the block cracks.

Honestly I wouldnt say its the end of your problems and Id probably bet the head gasket was ok.

I'm aware yes but that doesn't affect every single i40, block was inspected and was found to be in good order, cylinder head itself had a shallow crack along the margin between intake and exhaust valves but was fine after being skimmed. As I've said the car seems to be running fine now I've taken it on a few spins and let the revs climb with no issues.

Advertisement