Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

User1998 wrote: »
    Plenty of inspection crowds that come to your house and only take 30 minutes in your garden?
    Ah ok... I thought he'd take it to a garage!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Hi folks. I have a quick question about an unused car I want rid of.

I know if I transfer ownership that I'm no longer liable for any owed tax on the vehicle, but I'm thinking of going the scrappage route as it hasn't been driven in years and the battery is dead. I understand when scrapping a car the tax situation is different, and owed tax is due when declaring it off the road. But if I was to use a 'we buy any car' type service, or a local scrapyard, would I be the one scrapping it, or do they take ownership first (freeing me of tax liability) and then scrap it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Hi folks. I have a quick question about an unused car I want rid of.

I know if I transfer ownership that I'm no longer liable for any owed tax on the vehicle, but I'm thinking of going the scrappage route as it hasn't been driven in years and the battery is dead. I understand when scrapping a car the tax situation is different, and owed tax is due when declaring it off the road. But if I was to use a 'we buy any car' type service, or a local scrapyard, would I be the one scrapping it, or do they take ownership first (freeing me of tax liability) and then scrap it?

You wouldn’t be liable for the tax if they do buy it or if they actually scrap the car. Use someone reputable and you’ll be fine.

The only instance the tax liability comes in is if someone tries to tax the car while you’re still the owner, and even at that they’d have to pay the arrears to tax it...

Long story short, don’t worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Hey folks, if selling your car to a motor dealer? How is the logbook handled?

Dealer says that they will fill this in online themselves, he said they have a way to handle it that avoids another owner being put on the car.

Can anyone verify?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭User1998

digiman wrote: »
    Hey folks, if selling your car to a motor dealer? How is the logbook handled?

Dealer says that they will fill this in online themselves, he said they have a way to handle it that avoids another owner being put on the car.

Can anyone verify?

Yep that is true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Sappy404

L-M wrote: »
    You wouldn’t be liable for the tax if they do buy it or if they actually scrap the car. Use someone reputable and you’ll be fine.

The only instance the tax liability comes in is if someone tries to tax the car while you’re still the owner, and even at that they’d have to pay the arrears to tax it...

Long story short, don’t worry about it.

I checked an FAQ and saw that if declaring a car off road I'm liable for tax owed. Is that not the case if scrapping the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I checked an FAQ and saw that if declaring a car off road I'm liable for tax owed. Is that not the case if scrapping the car?
    Nope. Just scrap away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Fyfe

Hi everyone, long time lurker but this is my first post, trying to sell my VW Golf and looking for some advice from the experts as to how I can improve my ad. It’s been up for over a week and so far have only received a couple of messages, no phone calls. I realise it’s probably a terrible time to be selling and the only reason I am now is because I am due my first baby soon and need something with more space for all the baby paraphernalia.

Mainly wondering am I asking too much for it? Also I may need to retake the photos as I see in the opening post the advice to take the photos next to a wall or fence, whereas you can see all the shabby old sheds in the background of mine!!!

Just realised I can’t post a URL because I’m a new user so if anyone has some time on their hands and would like to look at my ad and advise me I would really appreciate it!! It’s on Carzone, it’s the 2016 (161) Volkswagen Golf
    2.0 Edition R Hatchback Diesel Manual for €15,000. If you search with filters there are 22 results and it’s near the bottom. Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

This one?

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf/fpa/202102159099153?journey=Search

It’s a UK “Match” model.

I would suggest putting it on donedeal, as carzone is more for dealers.
    It’s the cheapest 2.0 of that year for the mileage, but you’re competing with dealers who give warranty etc.

Car could be presented better in the pics, also as you say the backdrop isn’t great either. Description isn’t great either, could go with something like:
    “Bought from Oliver Walsh Motors in October 2017, full service history from UK and Irish VW dealers”, Averaging 53mog - stuff like that. Get people to trust you.

At the moment it’s tiny amount if specific info and then a wall of crap at the bottom of the ad
    ABS,Air conditioning,Body colour power door mirrors,heated with integrated indicator lights,Brake assist system,Centre armrest between front seats,Cruise control,Cup holders for front seats and rear seats,Driver and passenger seat: sports type,Electronic traction control,Front and rear electric windows with one-touch on two windows,Front and rear reading lights,Front fog lights,Halogen low beam halogen high beam headlights with complex surface lenses,Illuminated driver and passenger vanity mirror,Isofix preparation,Leather covered multi-function steering wheel with tilt adjustment and telescopic adjustment,Performance: maximum speed 134 mph,216 km/h acceleration 8.6 seconds (0-100 km/h),Rear view mirror,Remote controlled remote boot/hatch/rear door release,Seat upholstery: cloth and cloth,Steering wheel mounted remote audio controls,Tinted glass,Windscreen wipers

List the important stuff, we don’t need to know that it has halogen high beam headlights with complex surface lenses.

Make a concise list:

2016 VW Golf Match Edition

2.0 TDI 150PS Bluemotion engine
    6 speed gearbox
    Cruise control
    Front and rear parking sensors
    Auto lights and wipers
    Bluetooth audio streaming
    Bluetooth phone
    Front and rear electric windows
    Remote locking (2 keys)
    Factory fitted alarm with deadlocks
    Front Assist (Forward collision warning)
    Air conditioning
    16 inch alloy wheels

Not sure if it has adaptive cruise control, reverse camera or satnav, if it does then list those too.

You’re up against the likes of these from dealers:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-2016-highline-2-0tdi-150-bhp/27036105

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-2016-gt-tdi-14444-sale/26694576

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-2016-pan-roof-low-milage-top-spec/26895654

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Fyfe

colm_mcm wrote: »
    This one?

It’s a UK “Match” model.

I would suggest putting it on donedeal, as carzone is more for dealers.
    It’s the cheapest 2.0 of that year for the mileage, but you’re competing with dealers who give warranty etc.

Car could be presented better in the pics, also as you say the backdrop isn’t great either. Description isn’t great either, could go with something like:
    “Bought from Oliver Walsh Motors in October 2017, full service history from UK and Irish VW dealers”, Averaging 53mog - stuff like that. Get people to trust you.

At the moment it’s tiny amount if specific info and then a wall of crap at the bottom of the ad

List the important stuff, we don’t need to know that it has halogen high beam headlights with complex surface lenses.

Make a concise list:

2016 VW Golf Match Edition

2.0 TDI 150PS Bluemotion engine
    6 speed gearbox
    Cruise control
    Front and rear parking sensors
    Auto lights and wipers
    Bluetooth audio streaming
    Bluetooth phone
    Front and rear electric windows
    Remote locking (2 keys)
    Factory fitted alarm with deadlocks
    Front Assist (Forward collision warning)
    Air conditioning
    16 inch alloy wheels

Not sure if it has adaptive cruise control, reverse camera or satnav, if it does then list those too.

You’re up against the likes of these from dealers:

That’s the one, yeah I do have it on Donedeal as well, and adverts.ie and Facebook Marketplace but the ads are all the same so I’ll change them all.

I bought it from Charles Hurst in Belfast but just got the licence plates in Oliver Walshes, hope that doesn’t matter! I priced it lower than the others because of the lack of a warranty alright.

That’s great advice anyway, loads to work with so thanks a mil, much appreciated!! Will get editing now!

• Advertisement

Plates aren’t a big deal- I’m just giving an example of the detail that you could put in to add some credibility. The fact that you bought it from a reputable outfit is a big plus. If you got a history check done back then, mention that too. Show that you were fussy about the car you bought.

I think you probably need to knock a bit off your asking price still, but in the meantime try and get the car properly clean. Take at least 8 exterior pictures
    Ideally you’d cover all angles of the car, think of a compass covering north, north east, east, south east etc.

Get a few of the interior too showing the dash etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

First time selling a car in Ireland, DoneDeal - 16 saves of my car and 393 views in 3 days since Sunday and not one message. How strange! Or maybe saving means nothing.

Must be a bad time with level 5 lockdown,

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not really. Donedeal is always full of window shoppers. Lockdown certainly plays a part in it too as it narrows down your options. If the advert is only up 3 days then you need to patient, it can take time to sell a car.

Yeah I’m reluctant to go near Facebook marketplace, and have ruled out adverts.ie completely. Seems like either a wasteland on there or absolute numpties starting a silly offer thread under your ad

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

All these places are full of time wasters with no money or no intention of buying. With the lockdown they have even more time than before to be browsing cars and sending text messages asking you what's your bottom price without even seeing the car first. Welcome to dealing with the general public, unfortunately it comes with the territory of selling stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

bazz26 wrote: »
    All these places are full of time wasters with no money or no intention of buying. With the lockdown they have even more time than before to be browsing cars and sending text messages asking you what's your bottom price without even seeing the car first. Welcome to dealing with the general public, unfortunately it comes with the territory of selling stuff.
    You're not wrong, I've sold a few things on facebook and adverts, but you've to be willing to take a lot of darkness before the dawn arrives.
    I'd be more inclined to sell on those platforms than to buy, especially so with facebook.

Partner selling her car this week and buyer is picking up Wednesday - sum is €5K euros.

If in cash - is best practice to tell them to meet you at your local AIB branch etc and lodge cash immediately before car is taken away?

If bank transfer - should she request that they bank transfer the funds tomorrow so that they’re in her account by Wednesday when they come to collect?

She doesn’t know which they’re doing yet but thinks it will be cash based on conversation when the person bought and viewed it last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

Partner selling her car this week and buyer is picking up Wednesday - sum is €5K euros.

If in cash - is best practice to tell them to meet you at your local AIB branch etc and lodge cash immediately before car is taken away?

If bank transfer - should she request that they bank transfer the funds tomorrow so that they’re in her account by Wednesday when they come to collect?

She doesn’t know which they’re doing yet but thinks it will be cash based on conversation when the person bought and viewed it last week

I'd be finding out how they are paying asap.
    I prefer cash, make sure to do it somewhere safe, and arrange to have it checked before the deal is done. A bank would be the best place for that.

I’d rather get it on Revolut than be taking cash or going to a bank tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I’d rather get it on Revolut than be taking cash or going to a bank tbh.

Yep. Instant payment or it is the buyer that deposes to my account.

I don't want to touch cash at all.

Seller confirmed they’re giving cash at weekend, lad is getting it out from credit union. She asked for Revolut and they said they’d no problem but cash was already arranged from CU.

When you say buyer deposits to your account - is it unreasonable to ask them to go straight to your local bank branch tomorrow with the cash first?

If She were to let them come ahead , hand over the cash and then go and deposit after, have you a leg to stand on if there was an issue with cash?

Seller confirmed they’re giving cash at weekend, lad is getting it out from credit union. She asked for Revolut and they said they’d no problem but cash was already arranged from CU.

When you say buyer deposits to your account - is it unreasonable to ask them to go straight to your local bank branch tomorrow with the cash first?

If She were to let them come ahead , hand over the cash and then go and deposit after, have you a leg to stand on if there was an issue with cash?

Trying to depose forged cash is felony. Answer yourself who do you want to be doing it?

Good point cheers for reply

I will never buy car from seller who has answer I dont know.
    I will never buy car from person who telling that timing belt just done
    I will never buy car from person who telling car is perfect condition.Nobody will sell car in perfect condion.
    I will never even look at car with No price in advert.
    I will never overpay for car with 3 months warranty because from my own experience is lie

I will buy car from person who will tell me that timing belt kit needs to be done or clutch giving problem.Also will tell me about every problem with car.That will help me calculate additional expences.
    I will buy car after NCT only
    Otherwise please dont try sell old car as perfect at your dream price.Because I will simply buy cheapest at the market and will ad saved money to timing belt kit,new clutch and will get car for same price as you dreaming about to get for yours answering me I dont know.

I will never buy car /.../.

Readers digest ;)

On a serious note: you're the minority. People want to buy illusions, not reality. They want to feel they are getting a steal.

On a completely different note, all my car's were is excellent condition when I was selling them. Selling a car isn't always about getting rid of the scrap: I get bored or circumstances change sometimes.

5K in cash is not big money.I could pay cash to seller no problem and I will not pay any other way unless I will drive to the bank with car I bought ,2 keys and log book in hands.

grogi wrote: »
    Readers digest ;)

On a serious note: you're the minority. People want to buy illusions, not reality. They want to feel they are getting a steal.

On a completely different note, all my car's were is excellent condition when I was selling them. Selling a car isn't always about getting rid of the scrap: I get bored or circumstances change sometimes.
    People like you make world better.Looking for MPV type car,let me know please when you will have one for sale.Thank you

I am agree about people who love buy car listening seller not the car.

People like you make world better.Looking for MPV type car,let me know please when you will have one for sale.Thank you

I am agree about people who love buy car listening seller not the car.

Have a C4 Grand Picasso... Im bored with it immensely, but wife loves it...

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »

There is plenty arrogant dealers which hardly move them arses trying understand that the harder they work the more money they get and the less they answer the less interest buyer has
    I found motor from one as they call Independent Dealer on donedeal toady
    Nothing fancy and straight forward deal.
    I rung to dealer ,he did not answer his phone what is normal for Sunday
    I sent message were I told that I would like go forward if delivery will be organized due with 5 km Covid rule
    I said I am happy about what I getting for my money,did not asking him about timing belts/tyres/ because all what was needed for me is properly running car for that kind of money
    I described my interest clearly and I said I am happy pay asked price plus 160 delivery charge which I accepted also

The guy said he is not gonna deliver until money paid to him .He is not even gona deliver if I will pay him 160 euros before car will be brought down for viewing.
    From my side having experience with dodgy dealerships before I am not gona pay money to unknown person for car which I did not see
    At the moment dealer play smart and treat me as time waster when I am at same time looking for another car from another dealer

The price of the deal 3K which can be paid by cash no problem

I hope recession coming will change thinking of some sellers
    For example there was about 75K cars 2 months ago on Donedeal
    Now about 81 K ! And prices started falling already

Advertisement