Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fun cheapish car (don't need practical)

• 01-03-2021 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hey, wondering if I could get some help in figuring out what car to get next, my budget is 7 to 8k and I'm looking for something that's fun to drive, good enough reliability and looks nice, I have no need of practicality for now. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Righty wrote: »
    Hey, wondering if I could get some help in figuring out what car to get next, my budget is 7 to 8k and I'm looking for something that's fun to drive, good enough reliability and looks nice, I have no need of practicality for now. Any help would be greatly appreciated

What size car you're looking for? You can get fun cars for much cheaper if you're prepared to pay higher tax.

I have an old 06 Subaru legacy, it's AWD, it's really amazing to drive and highly reliable so I'd recommend them - you should be able to pick one up pretty cheap.

There are lots of nice Audi A5s coupes in that price range too.

Or a nice Fiat 500 if you're looking for something smaller?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Righty

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    What size car you're looking for? You can get fun cars for much cheaper if you're prepared to pay higher tax.

I have an old 06 Subaru legacy, it's AWD, it's really amazing to drive and highly reliable so I'd recommend them - you should be able to pick one up pretty cheap.

There are lots of nice Audi A5s coupes in that price range too.

Or a nice Fiat 500 if you're looking for something smaller?

Hey, thanks for the recommendations I'll give the subarus a look. I don't mind the size at all, it's only me in the car most of the time and I don't carry much in my car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What are you driving at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

mazda mx5

an all time classic

bazz26 wrote: »
    What are you driving at the moment?

Golf mk6 1.6 very boring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭b318isp

MX-5 jumps to mind immediately.

Hey all thanks for your suggestions, much appreciated. Unfortunately insurance prevents me from getting most these 😩 was looking at a vw scirocco anyone have any experience with these?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'm not sure they'd be particularly insurance friendly either.

What sort of driving do you do OP? Stop/start urban stuff or longer journeys? Average miles per annum?

I'm not sure they'd be particularly insurance friendly either.

What sort of driving do you do OP? Stop/start urban stuff or longer journeys? Average miles per annum?

I've actually checked insurance on the scirocco, hasn't changed my premium at all. I would be doing half and half, I live in the country but work in the city where I encounter stop/start traffic.

• Advertisement

A Scirocco is just a Mk6 Golf in a sportier dress. I cannot imagine it being much of a step up in fun to drive over your Golf.

A Scirocco is just a Mk6 Golf in a sportier dress. I cannot imagine it being much of a step up in fun to drive over your Golf.

Do you think? My reasoning was that it'll be 70bhp more than my current car and it's lighter too, I've never driven one though so thanks for the advice, might see if I can drive one before setting my mind on it

how about a Ferrari for £7.98 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

A Scirocco is just a golf with a squashed rear end and no they are not fun to drive.

I would recommend a Laguna Coupe.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-laguna/27351131

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hey all thanks for your suggestions, much appreciated. Unfortunately insurance prevents me from getting most these 😩 was looking at a vw scirocco anyone have any experience with these?

May I ask, what age are you? That might play a massive factor in what people suggest (from an insurance point of view)

Ms

@OP if you want petrol

Another sporty Laguna a GT,

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2009-renault-laguna-2-0-gt-turbo-16v-fsh-moted/27074213

And it's a beauty.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ifeelabreeze

I've owned 2 Mx-5s, and NA and an NB, I've regretted selling them both.

antodeco wrote: »
    May I ask, what age are you? That might play a massive factor in what people suggest (from an insurance point of view)

I'm 22

AMKC wrote: »
    A Scirocco is just a golf with a squashed rear end and no they are not fun to drive.

I would recommend a Laguna Coupe.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-laguna/27351131
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-laguna-2012-very-low-mileage/27174828
    Thought on this one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Magown3

Posted in another thread recently. Under budget and should be a hoot to drive.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/27003831
    MWExMGI1ZjE2OWNiNWYxZWUxNGFiMWZjYWY2YjcwNzGXs2agSWGcutlnyFH9YRnKaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjgyMzM2NjV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭b318isp

In case you're not aware, check with your insurance company in advance on any car you're contemplating buying. Some insurance companies ask for a registration to quote - which you can often get from the ad. You may find that certain models of cars are a lot more expensive to insure than you expect.

Ms

That's a very good looking example alright.
    Magown3 wrote: »

No interior views on that. Crazy to buy any car without seeing the inside of it. Who knows what it could be like how well or not it has been looked after and the state of the main controls like the steering wheel and gear stick for instance.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

a second hand mini cooper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

RX8

fryup wrote: »
    a second hand mini cooper

I was contemplating a mini actually, my only worry is reliability though

I was contemplating a mini actually, my only worry is reliability though

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2012-2-0-cooper-sd-hatchback-manual-143bhp/27370979
    This is the one I had in mind

ELM327 wrote: »
    RX8

Rotary though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Magown3

AMKC wrote: »
    That's a very good looking example alright.

No interior views on that. Crazy to buy any car without seeing the inside of it. Who knows what it could be like how well or not it has been looked after and the state of the main controls like the steering wheel and gear stick for instance.

Who buys a car without looking inside it??? :confused:

If you fancy a car, you go and look at it, inside and out, then you decide to buy or not.

Regardless of what the interior looks like, it's gonna be a fun car which is what was requested.

Posted in another thread recently. Under budget and should be a hoot to drive.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/27003831
    MWExMGI1ZjE2OWNiNWYxZWUxNGFiMWZjYWY2YjcwNzGXs2agSWGcutlnyFH9YRnKaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjgyMzM2NjV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Thanks for the suggestion, exterior styling isn't my taste unfortunately but Id love to drive one to see what it's like

• Advertisement

but its an automatic, automatic's are never fun

Ms

Who buys a car without looking inside it??? :confused:

If you fancy a car, you go and look at it, inside and out, then you decide to buy or not.

Regardless of what the interior looks like, it's gonna be a fun car which is what was requested.

Its falsely advertised. It says o top it is a manual and below that ot is automatic so which us it?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I'm 22

you're only 22 !!

but sure the insurance will cripple you for a fun car,

unless of course you got a good salary or a wealthy Daddy

fryup wrote: »
    you're only 22 !!

but sure the insurance will cripple you for a fun car,

unless of course you got a good salary or a wealthy Daddy

That's the way it's looking alright unfortunately, had hoped there was something I could get that would be interesting but it's looking impossible, can't even get quoted on most of the suggestions. Frustrating enough

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ifeelabreeze

That's the way it's looking alright unfortunately, had hoped there was something I could get that would be interesting but it's looking impossible, can't even get quoted on most of the suggestions. Frustrating enough

I’m 23, first year in my own name and I’m getting reasonable quotes through Chill.

Silly cars like a Focus RS and the Golf R for less than €1400.

€1000 on a 500 Abarth.

Granted they’re also relatively new and more expensive.

I got quoted (3rd party) on a 2002 Mx-5 1.6 for €1690.

Some cars are weirdly expensive to insure, Polo €1600.
    BMW 320D (2013) - wouldn’t touch me.
    520D €2300.

It’s really worth checking some cars are loaded some aren’t.

I’m 23, first year in my own name and I’m getting reasonable quotes through Chill.

Silly cars like a Focus RS and the Golf R for less than €1400.

€1000 on a 500 Abarth.

Granted they’re also relatively new and more expensive.

I got quoted (3rd party) on a 2002 Mx-5 1.6 for €1690.

Some cars are weirdly expensive to insure, Polo €1600.
    BMW 320D (2013) - wouldn’t touch me.
    520D €2300.

It’s really worth checking some cars are loaded some aren’t.

I'm in my 3rd year in my own name and can't seem to get quoted on an rs or a gti or anything, you're right though it seems so random on certain cars. Might give it another shot tomorrow

• Advertisement

try quote-devil

Advertisement