Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VRT on gifted car?

• 28-02-2021 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I live in the UK, I buy a new car every 6/7 years, this current car is a year or so from being replaced. I have checked the VRT websites and the costs to do VRT seems more than the value of the car here in the UK, I paid 17k for it new in 16, list price was 25 ( I got a good deal) , I want to drive it home and gift it to my bother next year 2022. I would Value it in 2022 as 1500 euro, but it would be given to him for free . Does he have to pay VRT?

All information greatly received.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

VRT is based on what the Irish government assumes the car's value is, not what someone paid for it.
    He cannot drive it at all until the plates are changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

I live in the UK, I buy a new car every 6/7 years, this current car is a year or so from being replaced. I have checked the VRT websites and the costs to do VRT seems more than the value of the car here in the UK, I paid 17k for it new in 16, list price was 25 ( I got a good deal) , I want to drive it home and gift it to my bother next year 2022. I would Value it in 2022 as 1500 euro, but it would be given to him for free . Does he have to pay VRT?

your figures don't make sense. 6/7 years old in 2022 would be around 2015, if it were , say , a Focus, the value would be 9 or 10 thousand euro. VRT would be based on the OMSP that Revenue determine. Not only that but other taxes now apply mainly thanks to Brexit . I doubt they'd let you get away your valuation for this either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Buffman

As said, VRT is based on Open Market Selling Price, which Revenue make up themselves, so the actual price paid doesn't come into it.

Also, as you're living in the UK you may not have heard about how Brexit has added VAT and Duty onto UK imports.

Out of curiosity what 6 year old car will you have that you estimate €1500 value? Sounds a bit low.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

VRT is Vehicle Registration Tax. Literally a tax to put a number plate on the car.
    Regardless of cost of car its based on the Irish Tax offices estimate of Open Market Selling Price (as said).

The next question is what will happen around VRT and Duty due, which SHOULD be based on what was paid for the car... but I doubt the Irish government will miss a trick and will find someway of adding this tax to even on a free car.

VRT is only part of the cost.

• Advertisement

So if your bringing it home, you can avoid VRT yourself by registering it in your name first, there is then a period of time you have to keep it before you sell it, I am not sure if that is 6 or 12 months. If a change of ownership is completed before that time expires VRT will be due then based on the value at the time the car was imported, not when it changes owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Wanton wrote:
    So if your bringing it home, you can avoid VRT yourself by registering it in your name first, there is then a period of time you have to keep it before you sell it, I am not sure if that is 6 or 12 months. If a change of ownership is completed before that time expires VRT will be due then based on the value at the time the car was imported, not when it changes owner.

He will have to produce more proof than that if having moved here, otherwise there would be a nice industry of Irish people living in Ireland, bringing a car over to register in their name. All while still living in the UK.

Sorry. yes. I misread "drive it home" as he was "coming home".

You are 100% correct, that wont help here at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wanton wrote: »

The next question is what will happen around VRT and Duty due, which SHOULD be based on what was paid for the car... but I doubt the Irish government will miss a trick and will find someway of adding this tax to even on a free car.

VRT is only part of the cost.

Why should what was allegedly paid for a car be a factor. The OP is proof if needed that people would try and scam the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Wanton wrote: »

The next question is what will happen around VRT and Duty due, which SHOULD be based on what was paid for the car....

Yeah and of course everyone would be totally truthful about how much they paid and there wouldn't be a slew of "my mate gave it to me for free ,therefore I don't have to pay any vrt......"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Is it possible to change ownership to the brother while you still have it over there (here, I'm in UK)? Isn't 6 months of ownership enough to avoid VRT over here? Will it still be in full-time use before you plan to drive it back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

theteal wrote: »
    Is it possible to change ownership to the brother while you still have it over there (here, I'm in UK)? Isn't 6 months of ownership enough to avoid VRT over here? Will it still be in full-time use before you plan to drive it back?

Transfer of residence exemption is a good bit more complicated than that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Buffman

Depending on the car it could still work out as a good deal for your brother OP if all he has to pay is the taxes.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Why should what was allegedly paid for a car be a factor. The OP is proof if needed that people would try and scam the system.

I think Wanton meant 'VAT and Duty' in that sentence, it would be interesting to see what they are for a 'free' car.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

Advertisement