Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jack Russell

Options
  • 29-10-2020 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭

Hi there. Looking for some help, my mother in laws Jack Russle of 15 years passed away recently and I have been tasked with finding a new dog for her...does anyone know of any reputable places for me to search? Is the pound the best option. Apologies but Iv never actually purchased a dog before so don't really know where to start. She is looking for another Jack Russle, male, preferably less than 6 months old. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Ah. I had a jack Russell that lived until 19. Died in my arms the day after my wedding party. Always wonder if we should have put him down.
    Anyway, the pound could.be an option but sometimes those dogs are dropped off due to problems, although the problem is often with the owner. Always nice to get a dog from a pup. I'd check our your local listings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Hi there. Looking for some help, my mother in laws Jack Russle of 15 years passed away recently and I have been tasked with finding a new dog for her...does anyone know of any reputable places for me to search? Is the pound the best option. Apologies but Iv never actually purchased a dog before so don't really know where to start. She is looking for another Jack Russle, male, preferably less than 6 months old. Thanks in advance

Pound is a good start. Not sure about price but my dad paid 300 for the last pup 8 years ago. Dont know the price now.
    A few rules never buy from a man in a van or a lad in the car park.
    See the mother with the pups.
    Pick the one closest to the mother (favourite).
    Watch the pups wake the pups and see which one is on his feet first (most alert).
    That what my father said. Buy from someone with a good reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

I think you'll get a lot of recommendations here. Adverts, done deal, the pound, your local veterinary surgeon and word of mouth.

I just wanted to let you know that there has been a sharp increase in demand for dogs this year as people settle into their new work-from-home lifestyles. So firstly, you might find it it difficult to find one. But secondly, there have been a lot of unregistered and dodgy breeders entering the market to make some money. Keep your eyes peeled, try to stay with proper breeders where you can see the pup's mother has been well looked after, the pups are healthy and have all their paperwork. Best of luck.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Rescues all over the country are crying out for good homes OP. They nearly all have jacks. Of all ages. Especially at the moment as the thrill of the 'Lockdown Puppy' has worn off.

I have 5 jacks myself from 3 different rescues. One of them was only about 4 months old when we adopted her. Another was 8 months old, and yet another was reckoned by the vet to be about 9 months.

Personally, I would never buy a dog, esp a jack, off a breeder. I have encountered too many bought off Done Deal with health issues.
    Do a google search for dog rescues in your area and contact them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

<snip> in wicklow would be a great place to start. They are very good people. I got my elderly parents a cat from there a couple of years ago.

Check them out on Facebook

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks,
    As per the sticky at the top of the forum page, we've a temporary embargo on threads looking for pets at the min, due to not wanting to fuel the dog-seeking mania this pandemic seems to have caused.
    With regret, closing thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement