Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog still eating other dog poo

Options
  • 28-10-2020 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

I have a Terrier X who's about 17 months old now. When we got her at 5 months, we noticed she was eating other dog poo while out on walks. It took a few months, but I thought I had fixed the issue by saying "NO" loudly whenever she went to sniff the poo. I haven't seen her do this in about a year now until today when I just brought her down the road and in a flash she went to eat some on the road.

She does tend to get very excited on walks so I'm always trying to calm her and keep her tight on the lead, but today was a bit of a shock seeing her regress.

Is there anything I else I can be doing to try and stop this behaviour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Teach her the leave it command, chances are no is something said for different types of undesirable behaviour and isn’t being understood to the level that is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

em_cat wrote: »
    Teach her the leave it command, chances are no is something said for different types of undesirable behaviour and isn’t being understood to the level that is necessary.

My wee dog used to do that with cat poo and that how it was tackled it very effectively..

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Barney224

em_cat wrote: »

I can certainly try that, but the problem is (on yesterday's walk) she was so quick in eating it, I didn't have to time to even utter a word!

I have the extension lead quite long so I'm thinking I might have to tighten this so that I have more control over her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

I wouldn't use the extendable lead during the training phase, use a good lead that you can reinforce commands with a slight tug.
    No need to choke the dog though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Barney224 wrote: »
    I can certainly try that, but the problem is (on yesterday's walk) she was so quick in eating it, I didn't have to time to even utter a word!

I have the extension lead quite long so I'm thinking I might have to tighten this so that I have more control over her.

Well - if he hsn’t done it in months maybe it was particularly delicious & irresitable poo!!!

Lets hope it was just a once off lapse!!!

+1 for the ‘leave it’ command.

I’d also like to comment as someone who hd to deal with this in the past it INFURIATES me to
    see people not picking up after their dog or pretending not to see it when they poo or making excuses like ‘its in the long grass’ - it is so selfish makes life SO much harder for other dogwalkers - and their dogs who are then punished for the joys or rolling in it/ snacking on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Barney224

Well - if he hsn’t done it in months maybe it was particularly delicious & irresitable poo!!!

Lets hope it was just a once off lapse!!!

+1 for the ‘leave it’ command.

I’d also like to comment as someone who hd to deal with this in the past it INFURIATES me to
    see people not picking up after their dog or pretending not to see it when they poo or making excuses like ‘its in the long grass’ - it is so selfish makes life SO much harder for other dogwalkers - and their dogs who are then punished for the joys or rolling in it/ snacking on it.

I agree here and I always pick up after her in my estate, but I walk in a rural area so there's lots of it on the verges of the road, which doesn't bother me too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

see people not picking up after their dog or pretending not to see it when they poo or making excuses like ‘its in the long grass’ - it is so selfish makes life SO much harder for other dogwalkers

I don't have a dog myself, but I find it very annoying too. Would a possible solution to this be for dog owners to train their dogs to eat other dog's poo?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

HerrKuehn wrote: »
    I don't have a dog myself, but I find it very annoying too. Would a possible solution to this be for dog owners to train their dogs to eat other dog's poo?

You could go out and eat it yourself, that also would be a solution. 🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭anewme

You could go out and eat it yourself, that also would be a solution. 🀨

Whole new meaning to the term talking sh***

Ohhhhh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

stoneill wrote: »
    I wouldn't use the extendable lead during the training phase, use a good lead that you can reinforce commands with a slight tug.
    No need to choke the dog though.

Or you can stick to positive reinforcement OP rather than confusing your dog by throwing in outdated methods(!). It’s 2020 not 1970.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

HerrKuehn wrote: »

!!!!
    Fun idea but sadly no!!! It makes them sick, smelly and fat!!! Also puts you off them chewing their fun chewey toys, breathing anywhere near you, licking babys faces etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Graces7 wrote: »
    My wee dog used to do that with cat poo and that how it was tackled it very effectively..

I thought cats cover up their number 2's in clay?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

kravmaga wrote: »

Some will if there is a loose substance readily available to do their business in such as with cat litter. In the great outdoors though there often isn’t a patch of loose clay to poo in. Cats don’t really have the ability to dig compact ground so they leave it wherever.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

kravmaga wrote: »

Clay? They will bury it where there is soil , but in grassy places they just scrape grass over it. Here it is grassy!

I accidentally caught Boycat in the act months ago...

Advertisement