Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feral cat with limp

Options
  • 25-10-2020 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I look after 4 ferals cats around my house (got them neutered, feed them and I've given them little houses) but the youngest one has been limping a lot with his front paw over the past couple of weeks. Some days are better than others for him, but it's pretty bad today. I thought it might have been an infection from a bite or something, but it hasn't cleared up. Could it be a break? I have a trap but are vets open for these kind of things during Covid, if I want to get him checked out?

Thanks for any advice :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Tangleytuftles

Vets are definitely open right now, just not the small ones. I'd take the kitty to the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Cool, thanks for that. I just have to catch the little bugger now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Cool, thanks for that. I just have to catch the little bugger now :)

You are doing a wonderful work! All my six are former rescues.

I used to use a spring trap crate; any local rescues will lend you one. The only problem can be that other cats will get in after the bait!

I once found Boycat in there looking sheepish... I bought mine from a firm just outside Dingle. One when I was in there and the second by post. They serve now as carry cages.

Good luck!

I'm not having any luck with catching him. He's clever, and remembers what happened last time he was in the cage! I caught his dad instead. I suppose I'll keep trying. Will try tuna tomorrow. Used ham today.

I'm not having any luck with catching him. He's clever, and remembers what happened last time he was in the cage! I caught his dad instead. I suppose I'll keep trying. Will try tuna tomorrow. Used ham today.

lol.. sympathetically. I used a large raw bone; they grab ham fast and back out!
    Tune is a little better than ham, but the bone works best! Even a chicken leg bone with flesh still on? (I had bones for the dogs in those days.)

Are you using a spring trap cage? Maybe catch dad and keep him caged! Reminds me of getting ready to move from Kerry..

• Advertisement

I do have a spring trap, but the guy I'm trying to catch is so light, he doesn't trigger it when he steps on it, so I have to stand there with the door propped up with a stick, and me stood behind the curtain in the kitchen waiting to pull the string tied to the stick!

I'll try some chicken :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

I've had to trap many feral cats, to neuter in the past. My advice is not to feed the little guy this afternoon/evening, to have him hungry tomorrow morning. Tinned sardines are very tempting to them, so if you scatter some outside the trap and inside, he will hopefully go in (and not Dad :-) ) Best of luck :)

I do have a spring trap, but the guy I'm trying to catch is so light, he doesn't trigger it when he steps on it, so I have to stand there with the door propped up with a stick, and me stood behind the curtain in the kitchen waiting to pull the string tied to the stick!

I'll try some chicken :pac:

lol... and sympathy.

Why I used a large bone is that they have to chew at it there; they cannot just wolf it and back out. it is harder to escape!

Mine caught smaller cats though... Can you not tighten the spring?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

A Feral cat with a broken leg will jest be euthanised

Gael23 wrote: »

Utter nonsense. I have had ferals with worse than a broken leg treated. REALLY!

OP any news?

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    Utter nonsense. I have had ferals with worse than a broken leg treated. REALLY!

OP any news?

I got him! Took him to the vet on Monday. They checked his paw: nothing obvious, no break. She asked me did I want an x ray to see is there any tendon/ligament damage ... €145! Alternatively, I took anti-inflammatories for him and we'll see how it goes. He does seem a little better so will keep an eye on him. I love the little bugger but I balked at the x-ray price because he is a feral and anything can happen to them. It still cost me €90 for the treatment and worming etc, and my finances aren't great these days, so I'm hoping I can avoid the x-ray route. Not sure what they can do for him anyways. I can't afford an operation for him if there is something more beyond this, plus he won't stay indoors to recuperate. He is a super little guy though. I call him Decky because he lives on my decking. His mother (a tortie) brought him around when I started feeding her. I remember the day she dropped down with him in her mouth. I've known him a couple of years now. Very clever cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Gael23 wrote: »

Clueless comment

Glad to hear you got sorted OP. I've brought a few ferals to the vets in the past and catching them is no mean feat!

I got him! Took him to the vet on Monday. They checked his paw: nothing obvious, no break. She asked me did I want an x ray to see is there any tendon/ligament damage ... €145! Alternatively, I took anti-nflammatories for him and we'll see how it goes. He does seem a little better so will keep an eye on him. I love the little bigger but I balked at the x-ray price because he is a feral and anything can happen to them. It still cost me €90 for the treatment and worming etc, and my finances aren't great these days, so I'm hoping I can avoid the x-ray route. Not sure what they can do for him anyways. I can't afford an operation for him if there is something more beyond this, plus he won't stay indoors to recuperate. He is a super little guy though. I call him Decky because he lives on my decking. His mother (a tortie) brought him around when I started feeding her. I remember the day she dropped down with him in her mouth. I've known him a couple of years now. Very clever cat.

Oh that is all good news.. he sounds a sheer delight and a real character. Reminds me of my refugee Tonto. Agree re the X ray too etc. See how it goes?
    And thank you for updating. And for all you are doing.

Advertisement