Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-08-2017, 17:58   #1
srmf5

Can't find an ancestor in the Tithe Applotment books?

My ancestor is Martin Kelly. From 1818 to 1922 Martin had children born in the parish of Loughglynn with an address at Eden in County Roscommon. From 1933 to 1938 he had more children but in the parish of Tibohine instead with no address given. I remember reading that Eden went from the parish of Loughglynn to Tibohine in those school folklore collections so that may not be significant. There's a gap in the baptism registers of Loughglynn from 1826 to 1835. This happens to coincide with when the Tithe was being carried out in the parish. Tibohine only started recording baptisms in 1833. By the time of Griffith's Valuation in 1857, Martin was living in Cloonsheever which is a nearby townland in the parish of Loughglynn. However, this could have been his son Martin who had his first child in 1852.

Any thoughts on why I might not be able to find him or any suggestions? Since the Tithe records came out online I haven't been able to find him but brushed it off since I didn't think that I'd learn much from it anyway. Lately though I've been in touch with a Kelly relative and we're trying to find the connection without much luck and this might be able to provide a clue if I could find him. Any help would be appreciated.
Advertisement
27-08-2017, 18:08   #2
pinkypinky

What was his job? It's possible whatever type of land he lived on was exempt from tithes.
Also, have you checked the Tithe Defaulters list on FMP?
27-08-2017, 18:19   #3
srmf5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
What was his job? It's possible whatever type of land he lived on was exempt from tithes.
Also, have you checked the Tithe Defaulters list on FMP?
Thanks for the reply. He was a farmer according to his death record. He died in Cloonsheever. I know that the Martin in the Griffith's Valuation had 8 acres of land and 5 acres of bog in 1857. His son was farmer as well.

Nothing came up for Martin Kelly in the Tithe defaulters when I searched.
27-08-2017, 18:54   #4
pinkypinky

If he was a landless labourer at the time of the Tithes, then he wouldn't be in it either. He may have only gotten the land after the tithe period.
27-08-2017, 20:28   #5
tabbey

There are a lot of townlands in Tibohine parish, did you browse them all?
Advertisement
27-08-2017, 21:06   #6
srmf5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
If he was a landless labourer at the time of the Tithes, then he wouldn't be in it either. He may have only gotten the land after the tithe period.
That's a possibility all right. Thanks for the suggestion. It could be something like that. He could have lost whatever lands that he had and had to move too with no land in his name because I think his family could have originally been from Galway so it is possible that he hadn't gotten any lands at that stage. Thank you for that. It's a simple answer to the question but I had always assumed that the land had been passed down but obviously not anyway if they had been living in Eden. I suppose I assumed that he must have land when he has a family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbey View Post
There are a lot of townlands in Tibohine parish, did you browse them all?
No I haven't browsed. I only searched for his name in the search boxes but I have heard that it's not meant to be reliable due to errors in transcriptions. I wouldn't have thought Martin Kelly would be a name that would transcribed incorrectly but you're right, it wouldn't be any harm to double check.

Last edited by srmf5; 27-08-2017 at 21:10.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion