Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather Forum Zero Tolerance Policy

Options
  • 01-01-2012 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

As a result of recent activity on the forum and increased levels of troll like posting. Posting made deliberately to insult/enrage other members or moderators. We have been forced to introduce much stricter policy on the forum.

We usually are very lenient and perhaps this is why things have gone this route but from now on we will be changing.

A warning will be issued for posters who are caught trolling and any subsequent post from the user will result in a temporary ban with its duration under the moderators discretion.

As a result of the increase in levels of such posting on the forum the Moderation team will be unfortunately undergoing a number of changes in the upcoming time.

To all the great users of the forum we hope to have things back on track with a new strengthened Moderating team although the structure of the new team will see the loss of some extreme talent and knowledge.

Here's to a well behaved Weather forum in 2012 ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

I for one am glad about this. Its all been getting a bit 'Lord of the Flies' in here lately. I think all weather boardsies can help by not reacting to inflammatory posts, respecting other peoples opinions and using just a touch of common sense. And the golden rule of weather watching - take everything with a large pinch of salt, throw it over your left shoulder and hope some lands on the footpath !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Unfortunate but needed :(

Let us all just discuss the weather :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Modding this forum becomes a nightmare as soon as the "S" word appears :D

I have been known to complain about Modding in one other forum but I have never had any complaints here.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭eyesquirm

I for one am glad about this. Its all been getting a bit 'Lord of the Flies' in here lately. I think all weather boardsies can help by not reacting to inflammatory posts, respecting other peoples opinions and using just a touch of common sense. And the golden rule of weather watching - take everything with a large pinch of salt, throw it over your left shoulder and hope some lands on the footpath !!!

Oops. I've been throwing it (salt) over the wrong shoulder for the last 50 year's. No wonder my life turned out as it did.

:)

Seriously, it will be sad to lose some of the talented mods here, if that happens.
    Hopefully they'll keep coming back as regular posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

What's story with posting radar images from Met.ie some users think its not allowed yet paid subscription netweather.tv radar images are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

What is trolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Good man Weathercheck, it was like strolling into after hours here recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Joe Public

It may be useful to point out a few exampes of trolling as some posters do it as a matter of habit and are oblivious to the situation. Some may be under the influence and in a funny mood:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

To be losing users with extreme talent and knowledge is a shame. Looking back over the years its not the first time great talent and knowledge has been lost from the Boards Weather Forum. Hopefully with the new moderating team in place it will bring back the Forum to what it was many years ago. A place where we can chat and discuss the subject we love" The Weather".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Great to see discussion on this issue and a focus on dealing with the issues going forward, though reading between the lines, I sincerely hope that all the current mods can find a way to continue to share their knowledge here. It has been appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

I really hope that this forum does not lose expert ability because of trolls or personal insults - like many others I visit here regularly and appreciate the expertise and insight of the enthusiasts. Please use your zero tolerance policy to eliminate the trolls otherwise this forum will end up on the river bottom with no talent or expertise, just brainless idiots whinging about things they will never understand. You have a brilliant forum under your care, use your moderation privileges to protect it.

Good luck,

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Thanks for the words folks, will all be taken into consideration ;)

I did suggest the possible idea of a sub forum purely for forecasting & technical discussion. Permission to post there would be subject to Mod approval - bit like with soccer where you apply to join. Obviously anyone would be able to read the posts. This should reduce the workload for the Mods as this section shouldn't need moderating.

I also think, from reading some "complaints" in the dispute resolution forum that, because the Mods frequently post as posters, people don't appreciate the difference between posting & moderating. When a Mod comments on the content of a post they are doing so as a poster ie they are not abusing any Mod power.

It's a pity when the actions of a few change the system for the many. One of the stand out features of this forum is the way that the Mods contribute so much as valued posters. I would urge any Mod who might be considering moving on to reflect & stay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Another way of doing it is to create a special snow sub forum and throwing anything that is not Mesoscale in there for the winter months.

That would mean the main forum is the one where one would need permission to post as per Discodogs point and the sub forum is the one open to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

eyesquirm wrote: »
    Seriously, it will be sad to lose some of the talented mods here, if that happens.

Agree.

To be losing users with extreme talent and knowledge is a shame.

icon14.gif

The Ritz wrote: »
    I really hope that this forum does not lose expert ability because of trolls or personal insults - Please use your zero tolerance policy to eliminate the trolls otherwise this forum will end up on the river bottom with no talent or expertise, just brainless idiots whinging about things they will never understand.

I second that.
    Mothman wrote: »
    , I sincerely hope that all the current mods can find a way to continue to share their knowledge here. It has been appreciated.

Very much!

Don't let the bowsies win, because if they do, we all will lose. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Quite good trolling deinition:

Trolling is trying to get a rise out of someone. Forcing them to respond to you, either through wise-crackery, posting incorrect information, asking blatantly stupid questions, or other foolishness. However, trolling statements are never true or are never meant to be construed as such. Nearly all trolled statements are meant to be funny to some people, so it does have some social/entertainment value.

"Trolling" isn't simply "harmful statements". Intentionally insulting/libelous statements are "flaming".

Just as bad as trolling is "Feeding the Trolls". This is when people say stuff that they know will prompt someone to respond with a trolled reply and/or replying to comments that are blatantly from a troll. This is especially true when a troll first makes his comment/reply, and (usually many) people respond, either trying to correct the troll, or express anger at the statement. At that point, the trolling was successful and has been fed. When encouraged by success and feeding, trolls often return.

Don't let the bowsies win, because if they do, we all will lose. :(

Agree 100%. This forum has been run with a relatively gentle touch which until recently has been totally appropriate & very refreshing. By all means crack down in the short term but ensure that we soon revert to normal ie how things were before the idiots wrecked it. Otherwise the idiots win.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

the freely shared expert knowledge of a small % of posters is what makes this forum so appealing to the vast majority who can chip in with observations, questions, humour ... so let's hope the tiny % of tollers don't interfere with this and as one of the previous posts points out feeding the trolls is as bad and is often what causes threads to descend into chaos. Sometimes zero tolerance is the only way to bring order :)

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Another way of doing it is to create a special snow sub forum and throwing anything that is not Mesoscale in there for the winter months.

That would mean the main forum is the one where one would need permission to post as per Discodogs point and the sub forum is the one open to all.

Why not have a sub-form for hail,rain ,thunder etc as-well :rolleyes:

I found your posts to the most irrelevant on alot of the threads and made they threads very hard to read especially on a mobile.You were posting news articles about north Korea and other useless sh1t bringing the thread off topic.No doubt in the Summer you will posting about rain and bad weather just to annoy the majority of the posters on here.

Posting made deliberately to insult/enrage other members or moderators.

Snowc wrote: »
    I found your posts to the most irrelevant on alot of the threads and made they threads very hard to read especially on a mobile.You were posting news articles about north Korea and other useless sh1t bringing the thread off topic.No doubt in the Summer you will posting about rain and bad weather just to annoy the majority of the posters on here.

Thanks for providing a good example :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    Thanks for providing a good example :rolleyes:

Thanks :)It is a very good example,sponge bob posting irrelevant sh1t just to get a reaction.

Snowc wrote: »
    Thanks :)It is a very good example,sponge bob posting irrelevant sh1t just to get a reaction.

You have the word Snow in your user name - Guilty as charged :D

Btw We did have a warm totally Snow free Christmas or did I miss a flake ?

Discodog wrote: »
    You have the word Snow in your user name - Guilty as charged :D

Btw We did have a warm totally Snow free Christmas or did I miss a flake ?

Great observational skills .Ya a warm ,wet and windy miserable winter if you like that kind of weather you probably spend your time indoors and dont like done any thing outdoors ? Btw you have a very similar posting style to Sponge Bob ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

This is the first and last warning. Read Weathercheck's first post above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

At my request I will be stepping down as a moderator of this forum.

I love the weather, be it warm or cold, cloudy or sunny, and this forum used to be a fun place for me, but the attitude of some posters towards me, both on and off the pitch, has increasingly generated more hassle than I am prepared to accept. I feel I have always tried to do my best towards this forum, but it has become a place I no longer enjoy, and I will be taking a break from it. It is for that reason that it would not be right to continue on as moderator.

There will be new replacement(s) taking up the reins, and I would echo Weathercheck's request that you get back to discussing the everchanging weather we have, and if a moderator has to take action, so be it - it will be for the good of the forum members and not a personal attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Su Campu

That's a shame you feel you need to take a break from the forum. I have always found your posts to be some of the most informative, interesting and indeed educational post. I hope you continue posting on the forum and I for one feel you will be a huge loss to this forum. Don't be a stranger.

Talkabout,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Su Campu wrote: »

I love the weather, be it warm or cold, cloudy or sunny, and this forum used to be a fun place for me, but the attitude of some posters towards me, both on and off the pitch, has increasingly generated more hassle than I am prepared to accept. I feel I have always tried to do my best towards this forum, but it has become a place I no longer enjoy, and I will be taking a break from it. It is for that reason that it would not be right to continue on as moderator.

There will be new replacement(s) taking up the reins, and I would echo Weathercheck's request that you get back to discussing the everchanging weather we have, and if a moderator has to take action, so be it - it will be for the good of the forum members and not a personal attack.

That's a real shame. Come back soon. I hope the other Mods deal ruthlessly with some of the new idiots this site has recently attracted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Agreed, one of the top posters here and some of the abuse you got last week was way over the top. I'd imagine it can be a bit of a nightmare at times being a mod of this forum during the winter so an understandable decision in that regard.

It'd be a huge loss if you stopped posting altogether though, I and many others have learned a huge amount from your posts over the past couple of years. Hope you carry on posting even if on a lesser basis

• Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I agree, and would hope you can reconsider (take some time to recalibrate though) because this is just part of the territory of being a moderator on a discussion forum of any kind, and if I may say so, a rite of passage on weather forums (moderator or prominent poster) when you establish some sort of credibility. It's like rutting season where all the other bucks have to test your antlers, it's in their DNA. They see it as their route to equal visibility. I wouldn't take it too seriously but that's easy for me to say nowadays after my antlers fell off years ago. You'll never please everybody anyway, but I think you'll find that you have a lot of support around the weather forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Su Campu wrote: »

Gutted u are going but totally understand why.
    Please dont be a stranger as so many of us have learned so much from you and I for one really appreciate you sharing your immense knowledge enthusiasm and passion for the weather.
    Thanks for all u have shared u have made us richer people as a result.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement