Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heated Dog Bed for Older Dog?

• 26-10-2020 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I've an older dog who is now shaking his way through the night, with the cold. A blanket on top comes off after a few hours.

I've been looking up heated pads, electric beds etc but am wondering if people here would recommend anything they've used with their oldies?

Many thanks.

Edited to add: He's a staffie/pitbull x. So, medium sized, shorthaired and bald now on his underbelly.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Snugglesafe Pads are the business. They're a gel-filled disc, about the size of a thick Frisbee, and you microwave them for 5 mins. The heat from them lasts pretty much all night, and is a gentle, radiating sort of heat. Safe too if they get wet.
    Maybe also consider a warm, fleecy coat for him? They had nice, great value ones in Aldi a couple of weeks ago, you might still pick on up now.
    Assuming the dog is living inside in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭selfbuildache

LOL! The dog is living beside our bed at the moment, as he gets so restless at night. I've tried all sorts of coats but for whatever reason, he's immobile / won't get up at all when he's in one, so I'm guessing he doesn't like them.
    I'm familiar with the discs - is there enough heat generated out of them for the whole dog? My dog stretches out fully, whether cold or not and I picture those discs only heating one part of him or missing altogether as he doesn't seem to have the sense to lie on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

LOL! The dog is living beside our bed at the moment, as he gets so restless at night. I've tried all sorts of coats but for whatever reason, he's immobile / won't get up at all when he's in one, so I'm guessing he doesn't like them.
    I'm familiar with the discs - is there enough heat generated out of them for the whole dog? My dog stretches out fully, whether cold or not and I picture those discs only heating one part of him or missing altogether as he doesn't seem to have the sense to lie on it.

Would be helpful if you said what breed / size your dog is OP?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

The heat radiates out, but only so far. However, that also gives the dog the option of not being fully on the heat if he so chooses.
    Also, like a hot water bottle at your feet, they often don't need a full body-length heat source in order to get warmed up.

• Advertisement

DBB wrote: »
    The heat radiates out, but only so far. However, that also gives the dog the option of not being fully on the heat if he so chooses.
    Also, like a hot water bottle at your feet, they often don't need a full body-length heat source in order to get warmed up.

Good idea. I'll definitely try that so. Thank you.

cocker5 wrote: »
    Would be helpful if you said what breed / size your dog is OP?

He's a staffie/pitbull x. So, a medium sized, short haired mix. He's gone bald underneath now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our house is quite cold and draughty. I often put a snug fleece on Bailey during the day and he loves it but I’d always take it off once the heat is on / overnight. I can keep and eye on him during the day so I’d know if he’s too warm. He moves around at night and will lie on the cool floor sometimes, has his warm vetbed etc etc so can pick what he wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

DBB wrote: »

I could use one of those for my own feet...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

if he has a deep circular bed beside your bed then put 2 fleece covered hot water bottles under him or at the sides you cant beat a hot water bottle alternastively a red heat lamp rigged above him available at farm stores or vets

• Advertisement
Advertisement