Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diego Maradona RIP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

So well said. Diego transcended the sport. Messi has the personality of a cardboard box. Maradona is a cultural icon and achieved the pinnacle at the world cup. I would only put Pele ahead of him all time.

Like Best the question needs to be asked what he could have also achieved without the drugs and booze. Well less of a question then Best due to World Cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

A great advertisment for cocaine users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    It reminds me of the tennis debate, where Djokovic is obviously technically gifted, and pretty much guaranteed to go down as the most successful player of all time. But he's so sterile and generally dislikable that he's never in anyone's conversation for favourite players.

Sport is entertainment - technical ability is obviously huge, but it's about more than that. It's about charisma and character and narrative, and none have ever shone brighter than Maradona when it comes to the whole package.

Same can be said of Muhammad Ali, a lot of fans have Joe Louis as the more accomplished heavyweight boxer but Ali had that something special about him that resonates with people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    It reminds me of the tennis debate, where Djokovic is obviously technically gifted, and pretty much guaranteed to go down as the most successful player of all time. But he's so sterile and generally dislikable that he's never in anyone's conversation for favourite players.

Sport is entertainment - technical ability is obviously huge, but it's about more than that. It's about charisma and character and narrative, and none have ever shone brighter than Maradona when it comes to the whole package.

Messi a is shy, family man and not a coke fiend like Maradona was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

They just took his body from the house where he died. On route to the morgue now, streets are jammed.

Live local coverage here for anyone who's intersted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHn1_QVoXGM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,544 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The Diego Maradona doc will be on More 4 at 1.15 am tonight.

Hopefully on all 4 after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

magma69 wrote: »
    Same can be said of Muhammad Ali, a lot of fans have Joe Louis as the more accomplished heavyweight boxer but Ali had that something special about him that resonates with people.

Great comparison. He is up there with Ali, in that he is cool as fcuk. As much a rock star as a footballer...but also what an amazing footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,544 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

statesaver wrote: »

We're remembering him as a footballer not anything else and he's one of the greatest sports stars of all time.
    Messi being a family man is nothing to do with the footballer comparison.

No need to bring in the other stuff in that we all now about especially as he's just died.
    What are you trying to achieve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

He was a serious player. A real player. My god he took everything that was thrown at him and got up every time.

There has been no player since that compares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Unbelievable skill, fantastic pace and balance, absolute fearlessness is how I will remember El Diego

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The best to ever do it, a sad day for football. RIP

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Haven't seen this one posted yet

myAg2v4.jpg

I was fortunate to be at that game, I remember a young cocky lad tearing up the wing and the Lansdowne crowd going ‘ arriba, arriba … andale, andale’ (popular Speedy Gonzalez cartoon at the time) until Davy Langan quietened him with a shocking tackle.
    RIP Diego a true genius.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod:

Excess and controversies away from the pitch are part of the Maradona story. However, they are only part of the story. Posts made where there is an over focus on indiscretions are not welcome in this thread.

Maradona was an icon of the game. This thread is for our members wish to pay their respects to Diego. Posts that appear remotely disrespectful in the thread will be regarded as intentional disruption of the thread purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Kudos to the guy who decided to keep the focus on Maradona during that warming up...
    He always remained a naughty kid and the best that i have seen in my lifetime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

So well said. Diego transcended the sport. Messi has the personality of a cardboard box. Maradona is a cultural icon and achieved the pinnacle at the world cup. I would only put Pele ahead of him all time.

As someone said on OTB tonight people have to realise he played like Messi, Ronaldo, Zidane, etc on pitches that were at times swams, full of sand or loads of bumps.
    And he played at a time when you literally got the crap kicked out of you.

For anyone that wants to compare the two just look at the tackle by Goikoetxea on him in 1983.

statesaver wrote: »

Maradona was loved by a nation because he gave everything for his people.
    He is also loved in Napoli.
    Hell he got a Napoli to cheer for Argentina against Italy.

Messi has done alright for Barcelona his paymasters.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Could not put it better-

"Maradona is not dead, he is immortal. God gave the world the best gifted footballer of all time. He will live forever and ever"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIBy5kSnZmo/?igshid=lwz8vkdmuowv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭golfball37

Nobody with his personality flaws could stay at the top of any sport today in the sanitised times we live in. He wasn’t unique in that sense but he was just better than anyone else at his art, that’s what he made soccer look like artistry.

Did someone say messy pitches? Great clip of Diego that was in the Maradona Movie.

https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/1331704285332168706?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

jmayo wrote: »
    For anyone that wants to compare the two just look at the tackle by Goikoetxea on him in 1983.

That whole game is worth watching if you want to see the nonsense that used to go on. They went out to destroy him that night and he just rode the challenges.

Didn't get to see him live but watching him on TV was a big part of my football watching childhood. Sublime player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

At the ‘78 World Cup in Argentina, they had small kids performing various football skills before one of the games. The level of control seemed remarkable to me at the time compared to anything in Ireland. Maradona came from that milieu where his feet, knees, head and shoulders were all like hands. The ball seemed to stick to him.

The other difference then was the absolute brutality of the tackling. To go to an obscure club in Italy, take on the best defences in the world and dominate the league required enormous courage as well as skill. There will never be another quite like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Gary Lineker had a great story about him earlier on BT. Well worth the watch.

https://twitter.com/btsportfootball/status/1331680485672706048?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Ardillaun wrote: »
    At the ‘78 World Cup in Argentina, they had small kids performing various football skills before one of the games. The level of control seemed remarkable to me at the time compared to anything in Ireland. Maradona came from that milieu where his feet, knees, head and shoulders were all like hands. The ball seemed to stick to him.

The other difference then was the absolute brutality of the tackling. To go to an obscure club in Italy, take on the best defences in the world and dominate the league required enormous courage as well as skill. There will never be another quite like him.

That famous video where he's basically dancing to Live is Life shows that, he was easily able to control the ball with his feet as with his shoulders, head,...

I'm still shocked at it. It was probably gonna happen anyway given he was in bad health and with his history of issues, but ffs...

The best player ever for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

Watched that series on Netflix of him managing in Mexico.

And even though it was dubbed (which I hated) and there wasn't much to the series, I still really enjoyed it.

The man just dripped charisma. Didn't need to be on the pitch, he just had that x factor as a man. People who worked with him would run through walls for him.

Serious pity the way it ended, he even said in the series "he wished he never did drugs".

He's definitely a "he who burns brightest, burns half as long"

Rest in peace Diego

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

patmac wrote: »
    I was fortunate to be at that game, I remember a young cocky lad tearing up the wing and the Lansdowne crowd going ‘ arriba, arriba … andale, andale’ (popular Speedy Gonzalez cartoon at the time) until Davy Langan quietened him with a shocking tackle.
    RIP Diego a true genius.

Yes was at the same game as a young lad for the first time in landsdown road and Davy Langan was some player and even then on the school bus home the talk was about the young lad and how he was stuck to ground ( balance).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Tomorrows L'Equipe front over.
    EnssFmQWMAENIJy?format=jpg&name=900x900

For those who don't understand French it translates as 'God is Dead'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

The original goat. What a player. What a character.

15th anniversary of George Best death too.

I’m sure God will welcome him with open hands!!!

RIP

Jesus. I remember that day like it was yesterday. :( RIP Diego.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    That famous video where he's basically dancing to Live is Life shows that, he was easily able to control the ball with his feet as with his shoulders, head,...

That famous video dancing to Live is Life was AFAIK before the UEFA semi final against Bayern in 1989.

Imagine you are the main guy, meant to lead your team towards European Glory, a club that has never won anything in Europe before and you are laughing and smiling away doing the warmup with what looks like not a care in the world.

I heard Jurgen Klinsman told a story on US tv around time he took the US management job when asked who he reckoned was the best player ever he played against.

He remembered playing for Stuttgart in the 1989 UEFA cup final (he played in 2nd leg) against Napoli.
    He said during the warm up the Stuttgart team just stopped their warmup to watch Maradona doing his.
    He said the coach was going ballistic that they were giving initiative to Napoli, but he said they were just in awe.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Easily the best player I ever saw.
    Whatever about club football achievements, the 86 WC was , and in my mind will always be, by a mile the greatest performance by a player in a tournament. It was the only time I've been in complete awe of a player. Seeing the English players trying to tackle him during that incredible 2and goal is hilarious. '86 is easily the WC that stands out in my mind. RIP Diego.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Three days of national mourning announced in Argentina

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Any comparison with modern players must factor in the violence visited on star strikers way back then:
    Maradona’s constant determination to dribble inevitably means he attracts fouls, but England take this opportunity rather too liberally. Eight minutes in, Maradona chests the ball down, dribbles inside Kenny Sansom and is chopped down with remarkable force by Fenwick — who is absolutely miles away from the ball, and goes in with a scissor-motion that ensures he brings down Maradona as aggressively as possible.

Having just returned from a suspension for collecting two bookings in the group stage, Fenwick has been booked yet again. For 82 minutes, he’s playing against the world’s best dribbler on a yellow card.

For those 82 minutes, the yellow card should have proved irrelevant. Not because Fenwick was composed enough to resist confrontations with Maradona, but because he could have been shown a straight red card at least twice afterwards.
    Off the ball, though, Maradona had attempted to continue his run in behind Fenwick and been flattened with a blatant elbow.

The second incident came two minutes before the opening goal, and is laced with irony — an Argentina clearance bounces midway between Fenwick and Maradona. The Argentina captain springs up towards the ball, while Fenwick launches himself into the air and leads with his arm. Is he trying to elbow Maradona again? Is he trying to win the ball with his hand?

The real irony is that Fenwick, in trying to cheat, actually loses the header — Maradona gets his head to the ball and knocks it past Fenwick, although he’s unable to get on the end of it because he’s again on the floor holding his head.

Can England complain when, two minutes later, Maradona goes up for an aerial challenge and leads with his arm? Was Maradona inspired by Fenwick’s challenge? Was he initially trying to match England’s aggression and using his elbow for brute force, and then ended up being in a position to handle it in?
    On 67 minutes — after both Maradona goals — there’s yet another incident when Fenwick throws his elbow at Maradona. Valdano flicks on a long ball, Maradona and Fenwick are again chasing the second ball, and Fenwick again jumps and throws out an elbow into Maradona’s face. This brings a free kick, although Maradona can’t take it because he’s off the field receiving treatment again for a couple of minutes.
    Fenwick isn’t the only offender. There’s a two-footed foul from Beardsley, a strong challenge from Reid after Maradona’s trickery has beaten him, and a trip from Steve Hodge that sends Maradona headlong into a collision with Sansom, which again leaves Argentina’s No 10 holding his head.

Football was refereed differently 34 years ago — watch almost any game from that era and you’ll be shocked by the ferocious tackles and the lack of punishment. But watch the entire 90 minutes here and the physical treatment handed out to Maradona leaves you somewhat less appalled when he cheats Argentina into the lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Pep nailed it with the banner he seen in Argentina that basically said

'It doesn't matter what you did in your life, it matters what you have done with our lives'.

Pretty much sums up what type of impact he had on his own country and then he also went and done the same in Naples. I'm not old enough to remember watching him play but have seen enough to know what he could do, just complete control of the ball that maybe only Messi is close to and he's playing a different game to what Maradona had to play. His flaws make him more lovable if anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,017 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

DVDM93 wrote: »

"Leaving in your wake so many Englishmen, so that the whole country is a clenched fist shouting for Argentina".

Bloody hell that's a fantastic line. One of those beautiful poetic abstractions that perfectly nails a feeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,657 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Documentary on all 4 for anyone who wants to watch it

Maradona

RIP to a true great of the game

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    Documentary on all 4 for anyone who wants to watch it

Maradona

RIP to a true great of the game
    Yeah, that's a brilliant film. The Maradona in Mexico series on Netflix is worth a watch too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

I have read the entire thread and am surprised that nobody has mentioned that a large part of Maradona's appeal was that he was SO FCUKING BEAUTIFUL! I am a heterosexual male but can see that he was the epitome of someone that men wanted to be and women wanted to be with. The flawless brown skin, the beautiful face, the flowing black locks, the body of an Adonis, albeit diminuitive. He was an heroic figure, the little man taking on the hulking giants out to cripple him. He got knocked down but kept getting up and won out in the end.

One of my abiding childhood memories is Argentina-Brazil at World Cup 1982. Big build up and hugely anticipated match. Fourteen year-old me cried (in front of my friends!) as the aristocrats of Brazil kicked the absolute sh1t out of Maradona for the entire match with the referee giving free after free but no cards. Eventually, Maradona retaliated and was immediately sent off. Brazil won the match but I lost my boyish innocence that day.:(

What would a young Maradona be capable of now I wonder, with the protection players are afforded and the perfect playing surfaces they ply their trade on? He would think he had died and gone to heaven ....

• Advertisement

byronbay2 wrote: »
    I have read the entire thread and am surprised that nobody has mentioned that a large part of Maradona's appeal was that he was SO FCUKING BEAUTIFUL..

Personally I thought Batistuta was better looking!

But he was beautiful in a way that transcended looks. He was the boy who came from nothing. He had this incredible talent, not just to inspire more ordinary players to great deeds with Napoli and Argentina with his ability, but to inspire them by being the one who took the most pain for them. He left fields bloody but unbowed, still smiling because players could kick and punch him, but they really couldn't touch him. He also inspired with his words, he whipped them up beforehand, he was the player taking the abuse of the fans before the semi final in Italia 90 and screaming at his teammates to use it. Ultimately, he had failures, but the greats do not always win. And he was a great, not just as a footballer, but as leader of men.

1994 June 30 @ approx 2:02pm. A date that will live in infamy.

I will never forget where I was and what I was doing. I was in great form and looking forward to Argentina v Bulgaria that evening. Maradona was due to make his 22 appearance at the WC which would have been a record- he was tied on 21.

Even though I was a defender Maradona was my idol growing up. I even wore Puma because he did..and Puma Kings when I could afford it.

I was working on a building site for the summer and the 2pm RTE 2 sports news came on the radio. Basically went along the lines "A well known player at the WC has tested posititve etc etc." They didnt actually say Maradona's name for a few hours but my stomach sank. I just knew it. No other player would have been spoken about like that.

That eveining I stood in my parents sititng room watching the TV hoping against hope it was not true. Then there was an interview with him which was actually my first time hearing him speak. I remember being surprised at how 'normal' he sounded. From the media I half expected some shouty crazy guy.

I didnt even watch the game that night. I couldnt.

Whenever I needed a pick me up over the last few years I always watched YouTube clips of Maradona and just bask. I know how pathetic it reads but I still get emotional thinking about it in 1994 and little wet eyed. I don't care. My lip is quivering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭adaminho

My Junior soccer team was founded in the 80's but adopted the Argentina colour's in 86 as a tribute to Maradona. Every new kit had the No. 10 jersey removed until the mid 90's. Funnily enough Andoni Goikoetexa's cousin ended up playing with us.

(yes I am posting this again- other thread has gone petty)

Maradona's personal demons are well documented. More documented than most. Hell, even our own Paul McGrath admitted to playing PL games either still pissed or hungover.

What is annoying is how Maradona was thrown under the bus in 1994. This whole "high on drugs" etc, the apparent crazy goal celebrations is just a load of tabloid bollocks

I read the official FIFA report. Maradona was explicitly cleared of cheating or attempting to cheat. It was a complete fcuk up. The Ladybook version:

Maradona had a personal trainer in a bid to help him get fit for the WC. This personal trainer was a former South American body building champion. The trainer had Maradona on dietery supplements etc. All perfectly legal and above board.

When they got to Boston, the personal trainer had ran out of a particular supplement and literally walked into a pharmacy in Boston and picked up the next best thing as a subtitute. Now this substitute contained ephedrine which is a common ingredient found in every bathroom cabinet up and down the country and used to unblock noses.

Every team doctor is given a list before a tournement with a list of banned substances. Like TUIs in cycling etc if a player is on mediciation etc then this is declared. But because Maradona had a personal trainer he was not given the list and had no idea as he had no communication with the official Argentinian team doctor. Sounds mad now but this was 26 years ago.

The fcuk up was that the personal trainer gave Maradona this supplement which inadvertently triggered the positive result. It was not an attempt to cheat and FIFA acknowledged this.

If it had actually been declared beforehand there would have been zero problem. It sounds comical and almost unbelievable but this is all from the official FIFA Report.

The personal trainer was also banned for his part and in fact the report has harsher words for the trainer and the Argentinian FA for not policing the matter better.

Oh yes. Ephedrine is a stimulant and not a drug but of course that does not stop the whole "druggy" narrative. A failed drugs test gets you a 4 year ban in athletics. A stimulant result gets you a 3 month ban but yet Maradona was handed the same suspension as the cocaine test in 1991.

By contrast the Spanish player Camacho tested positive for the exact same substance at the 86 WC but got a slap on the wirst after blagging his way out it. No suspension or anything of the sort.

and another thing...

At the 94 WC when FIFA announced his suspension FIFA made a big song and dance about Maradona having and I quote "a cocktail of drugs" in his system and that 5 different substances showed up. FIFA couldnt make it out any worse..

Months later when the dust settled FIFA quietly acknowleged that he did not have a "cocktail of drugs" in his system. He had inadvertly taken 2 but the "cocktail" of other substances was a result of natural chemical reactions/process within the body triggered by ephedrine and of no consequence. He had not taken a cocktail of 5 drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭adaminho

(yes I am posting this again- other thread has gone petty)

When they got to Boston, the personal trainer had ran out of a particular supplement and literally walked into a pharmacy in Boston and picked up the next best thing as a subtitute. Now this substitute contained ephedrine which is a common ingredient found in every bathroom cabinet up and down the country and used to unblock noses.

Wasn't it a case of it was the same supplement but the North American version had Ephedrine in it? He had a TUI for the supplement but not the ephedrine.

adaminho wrote: »
    Wasn't it a case of it was the same supplement but the North American version had Ephedrine in it? He had a TUI for the supplement but not the ephedrine.

Perhaps. TBH it is over 20 years since I read the report but yeah that wouldnt surprise me. It was so amateurish that you would struggle to believe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

patmac wrote: »
    RIP Diego a true genius.

Full match, might watch it tonight.

https://youtu.be/g9_alEXq2JE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Perhaps. TBH it is over 20 years since I read the report but yeah that wouldnt surprise me. It was so amateurish that you would struggle to believe it.

That is what it was said at the time, that the american version had a different substance...his trainer at the time was Daniel Cerrini, he used to own a gym 3 or 4 blocks away from my place (where my mother still lives).

Advertisement