Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga 20/21

• 12-09-2020 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭

So La liga begins today with Eibar at home to Celta. The pick of the games this weekend seems to be the Valencian derby tomorrow night. The Madrid teams, Sevilla and Barca will begin their season in a few weeks time. I think It will be Madrid who will win the title with Barca second and then Atleti third. Fourth place should be interesting as I expect Villarreal who have bought shrewdly to challenge Sevilla. As for my Betis, I would be delighted with a Europa League place and it may be possible with Valencia falling further and further into disarray. It's a pity that with covid there are no fans as I was looking forward to seeing the Cádiz fans, they are mental. Anyways, it's good to have it back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

O-0 between Alavés and Betis at half time. Betis had the best opportunity with Guido Rodríguez hitting the bar. Canales and Fekir have been fantastic and if we had a better striker then we would be one or two up.

Finished 0-1 to Betis in the end. Guido Rodríguez was man of the match did all the simple things well. The winner was a good goal from Tello. Worked in from a corner and he took his shot from just outside the box and It nestled in the bottom corner. Canales hit the bar in the second half also. Anyways delighted with that win, if It was last year we would have lost.

In the earlier game today Gerard Moreno scored a lovely goal for Villareal, worth looking up. He deserves a call up again for the Spanish national team, was the Spanish player with the most goals last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Pleased to see Maxi Gomez having a good start to the season.

Madrid vs Sociedad should be interesting. Wonder will Odegaard start against his former side.

Betis up 2-0 at half time at home to Valladolid. Carvalho with an absolute golazo, their captain Moyano went off with an injury and they look fairly disorientated, hopefully Betis can add another to seal it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

La Liga TV from Premier Sports is free until October 1st - https://www.premiersports.com/ - signed up with U.K. post code and it accepted my Irish bank card. Works on web browser or apps and you can cast to your tv. Plays fine without the need for a VPN.

That said, going to watch Sociedad v Madrid tonight. David Silva and Januzaj on the bench. Looking forward to seeing Odegaard in action for Madrid.

2-1 to Betis at half-time against Madrid. I thought moreno was poor for their goal and I think he is a weak link in the team. Betis came back though with a great header by mandi and then a good goal by carvalho but to be honest courtois should have stopped it. We have some serious ballers in midfield with Fekir, carvalho, Guido, canales, joaquin, I hope we can at least get a result.

I thought that was an incredibly harsh penalty decision against Betis, I mean Bartra was falling, do they want him to saw off his arm or what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I thought that was an incredibly harsh penalty decision against Betis, I mean Bartra was falling, do they want him to saw off his arm or what.

Another season, another late controversial penalty awarded to Real.
    Its beyond a joke at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

if Sevilla actually stopped selling players for a bit they could actually challenge for the league this season, they wont tho.

Very infuriating and how they treat Monchi as some sort of superstar, he is a very good buisnessman.:mad::mad:

• Advertisement

Just watching the highlights from the other games yesterday and there was a scandalous penalty awarded to Sociedad when Januzaj came to ground in the box, had to feel sorry for Elche as that killed any chance of a comeback. I'd say Spanish officiating is the worst in all the major leagues? The prem has its blunders but not to the same extent as Spain I think.

Dream debut for Luis Suarez. He came on for Atletico in the last twenty minutes against Granada and got an assist and 2 goals. It finished 6-1. Quite a contrast to this time last season where they looked so toothless.

Dream debut for Luis Suarez. He came on for Atletico in the last twenty minutes against Granada and got an assist and 2 goals. It finished 6-1. Quite a contrast to this time last season where they looked so toothless.

They look like a different team, Carrasco looks to be back to La liga standard after his stint in China and Felix seems to be on a different level. Suarez then adds another dimension as well. They put six past a Granada team that rarely coughs up goals.

Bartomeu is some imbecile selling Suarez to Atletico .
    Himself and Simeone are made for each other.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Fati with savage finish unreal and still only 17.

https://twitter.com/PremierSportsTV/status/1310298027303854081?s=19

Has a second already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Nice "crisis" manufactured from Barca, I am amazed the media and fans fall for this crap, it's the same everytime, they have a "crisis" and then go on and dominate and win the treble.

Easy treble for them this year.

I'll say no more as I'm just back from a ban - but a really really unlikable bunch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Nice "crisis" manufactured from Barca, I am amazed the media and fans fall for this crap, it's the same everytime, they have a "crisis" and then go on and dominate and win the treble.

Easy treble for them this year.

I'll say no more as I'm just back from a ban - but a really really unlikable bunch.

They win a game 4-0 and you think that makes them nailed on for a treble?
    I really dont think Barca will get anything easy this year, they are on the wain.

They are unlikable though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Bartomeu is some imbecile selling Suarez to Atletico .
    Himself and Simeone are made for each other.

Can't argue with any of the clearout so far really. Suarez is still a great striker and would've scored more at Barcelona no question, but he is 33 and at some point you have to move on.

Semedo, Arthur, Vidal and Rakitic are all no loss for different reasons. It had gone stale with Rakitic and there's no future in a midfield with him and a slowing Busquets. Probably more could go too, Umtiti or preferably Pique, Rafinha and looking for replacements for Alba as well.

Go with Coutinho, Fati, Griezmann, Sergi Roberto, de Jong, Pjanic and Dembele without the elder lads looming over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭kave2

Hi all, is there any app with cast capability I can use to watch la Liga? Does the premier sport app works in Ireland? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Barca a bit of a treat tonight. Playing with 10 men for the whole 2nd half at a ground they've not won in the league at in 5 years and finished out 3-0. There's a group of young players coming through their at the moment that look very promising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

kave2 wrote: »
    Hi all, is there any app with cast capability I can use to watch la Liga? Does the premier sport app works in Ireland? Thanks.

Premier Sports works with AirPlay. Used it to watch Barcelona last night from my iPad to Apple TV.

Barca a bit of a treat tonight. Playing with 10 men for the whole 2nd half at a ground they've not won in the league at in 5 years and finished out 3-0. There's a group of young players coming through their at the moment that look very promising.

Huge result for Barcelona and a sign that Koeman might give them the fight and steel thats been lacking for a number of years in away games.
    Fati looks like a really good player, seems to be a very good finisher.
    Early days yet but promising signs for the team.

Well after mid weeks game and seeing today I think that with simeone Atleti are going nowhere. Way too negative, today in a big game at home that in my opinion is a must win, he substitutes Félix for Herrera. It's a pity as they looked very promising against Granada and they have some lovely ballers that need to be just ley off their leash. If I was an Atleti fan I'd be raging. My above post aged well haha.

Great win for Betis against Valencia, 2-0 It ended up. Canales was excellent as always and he was also called up to the Spanish squad during the week. Tello was also very good tonight. Between Betis, Sociedad, Getafe and Villarreal i think for the two Europa League spots.

Looked like Atletico had turned a corner with the 6-1 over Granada but two stalemates in a row is concerning.

Mikel Merino continuing to look class for Sociedad. Surprised bigger clubs haven't come knocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Athleticos problem is the manager ,his style is not suited for a top team,turgid football is for struggling teams,not challengers.

Looked like Atletico had turned a corner with the 6-1 over Granada but two stalemates in a row is concerning.

Mikel Merino continuing to look class for Sociedad. Surprised bigger clubs haven't come knocking.

Took his goal well, portu's goal was a peach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,947 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Seven days before el clásico, RM beaten at home by Cádiz. :o

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Seven days before el clásico, RM beaten at home by Cádiz. :o

Have to say I'm delighted after how they screwed Betis over in the Villamarín, beaten by newly promoted Cádiz at home too.

• Advertisement

Cadiz gone second for the time being. Must say looking at the Madrid team atm the rest of Europe won't be feeling very fearful. They're still very reliant on Benzema. Even if they get Mbappe next summer, they look like they need at least a further 4-5 top players.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Barca get a dose of reality with their first loss tonight.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Barca get a dose of reality with their first loss tonight.

They were dreadful, all the old failings back .
    Toothless.
    Messi looked like he wasnt trying a leg once Getafe scored , just walking around.
    Griezmann had a shocking miss ,no goals in 4 league games , he looks like a fish out of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Currently 1-1. Any ball in behind and Barca are wide open, Madrid could have got 3 goals already.

As could Barca really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As could Barca really

2 poor defences, considering the 'big names' in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Is Graham Hunter always this annoying as a co commentator?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

YES

He is fairly annoying to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Graham Hunter shouldn't be commentating on Barcelona games.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    He is fairly annoying to be fair.

He just wont shut up.
    Keeps talking and 90% of it is pure nonsense.

Another joke of a penalty award for Madrid.

• Advertisement

Think Madrid will hold on, especially when Fati went off. Messi was good in the first half but has not done much since they went behind.
    Pique and Alba are pathetic defensively, like 2 punchdrunk boxers out there when asked to defend. What a performance indeed!

Some good saves by Neto , Barcelona badly need a new centre back.

Coutinho looks dead on his feet since half time

Shambolic defending.
    Real just content to sit back and soak it up and break.

Messi booked for loitering around the ref seemingly. Dest and Fati who are both teenagers have been their best players. In the meantime someone drop off Busquets, Pique and Alba at the antique shop as they just aren't top players anymore.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Messi booked for loitering around the ref seemingly. Dest and Fati who are both teenagers have been their best players. In the meantime someone drop off Busquets, Pique and Alba at the antique shop as they just aren't top players anymore.

His legs are gone .
    He was playing far too deep and he just doesnt have the acceleration to beat players anymore.

Busquets is like an old man ,his legs have been gone for the last 18 months.
    Pique looks like he just doesnt care anymore.

Madrid raised their game, like they usually do against Barcelona.
    They are solid but uneasy on the eye.

Barca being well beaten at home by their most bitterest of rivals. Their reason is not exactly going to plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

7 points out of 15. Will Koeman even last the season before Xavi replaces him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Barca can have no complaints today, Madrid were better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

It seems things are as bad now as they were only a while back with the whole Messi leaving or not leaving fiasco. There are so many problems at the club with ageing players like Pique, Alba and Busquets, hugely expensive and massively disappointing tranfers like Dembele and Griezeman, and then the Messi situation where his performances haven't been anywhere near the Messi of old and who knows how happy he really is to be still at the club?

Losing 3-1 at home to a Real Madrid side who have looked poor as of late in losing to Cadiz and Shaktar at home is a bad blow to a club looking to regain a little confidence and solidarity. Being humiliated 8-2 to Bayern last season was seen as rock bottom but the way things are going there may be a lot more misery to come before Barca become a team of winners again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement