Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Big club or not the standard of football is pants in Scotland
    The club is used as a stepping stone to Europes big leagues these days

Anyone who suggests other wise in that big river in Egypt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,498 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Hmmmm, who to believe, some randomer who’s probably never even played to LSL level (above) or some of the greatest players ever to have played the game (below). I’m gonna go with the latter.,

What on earth are you on about?

Why would playing low level amateur football in Ireland validate your opinion on what constitutes a big club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

noodler wrote: »
    What on earth are you on about?

Why would playing low level amateur football in Ireland validate your opinion on what constitutes a big club?

Is it really that hard to understand. Wow!

I was comparing someone playing at a low level of amateur football, to some of the greatest players ever to have played the game. Who have, or still do, play for some of the biggest clubs on the planet. I’m sure their knowledge of what a big club is, trumps someone who’s maybe done a stadium tour.

Edit: that’s the last I’ll be saying on it. It’s way off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Stewball wrote: »
    What channel is showing the Bulgaria game live?

Just been checking the Sky EPG - not listed on RTE, VM or any of the Sky Sports channels....

Game is only live on Sky. (They have nations league rights till 2022).

It is not on RTÉ. Highlights later on Virgin Media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Nunu wrote: »
    Game is only live on Sky. (They have nations league rights till 2022).

It is not on RTÉ. Highlights later on Virgin Media.

Yeah Sky had the rights for our international friendlies which have effectively become the nation's league now so they'll have the rights up until that deal is finished I'd assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Still Ill

The desperate Celtic fans in here are hilarious.. Can't we all just agree that you can be a 'big' club in terms of support, yet still be absolutely ****e? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Big club or not the standard of football is pants in Scotland
    The club is used as a stepping stone to Europes big leagues these days

Anyone who suggests other wise in that big river in Egypt

It's always been that way, for decades anyway. It's still a big club though that develops very good players and still has it's big moments in European football like last season when topping an EL Group with Lazio in it.

Maybe that means nothing to EPL fanboys, but in the case of Shane Duffy for example he'd never play in Europe with West Ham or West Brom the other clubs he's linked with if he leaves Brighton unless they win one of the English domestic Cups. Whereas with Celtic there's a far greater chance he'll play European football with Celtic.

Still don't know if he'll sign but it's been fun watching the EPL fanboys on here freak out about the prospect that he might decide to go to Celtic instead of continuing on with some other EPL club in the annual relegation dogfight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

He could get European football at Dundalk as well in fairness, bit of a nonsense argument. The PL is a higher level, which means he's testing himself against better players every week, which is better for Ireland. What's so hard to understand about that? Anyway, if I wanted to chat about Celtic I'd do so in their thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Is it really that hard to understand. Wow!

I was comparing someone playing at a low level of amateur football, to some of the greatest players ever to have played the game. Who have, or still do, play for some of the biggest clubs on the planet. I’m sure their knowledge of what a big club is, trumps someone who’s maybe done a stadium tour.

Edit: that’s the last I’ll be saying on it. It’s way off topic.

That's the last you're saying on it because you know you're talking out of your behind.

Not one of the people you quoted there called Celtic a big club.

• Advertisement

TheCitizen wrote: »
    It's always been that way, for decades anyway. It's still a big club though that develops very good players and still has it's big moments in European football like last season when topping an EL Group with Lazio in it.

Maybe that means nothing to EPL fanboys, but in the case of Shane Duffy for example he'd never play in Europe with West Ham or West Brom the other clubs he's linked with if he leaves Brighton unless they win one of the English domestic Cups. Whereas with Celtic there's a far greater chance he'll play European football with Celtic.

Still don't know if he'll sign but it's been fun watching the EPL fanboys on here freak out about the prospect that he might decide to go to Celtic instead of continuing on with some other EPL club in the annual relegation dogfight.

The way you say EPL fanboys makes it sound like it's a bad thing?
    The only difference between and Irish person watching SPL or EPL is the standard of the product there watching,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod: re the Celtic 'conversation', far too many posts that appear to be having a dig instead of a genuine effort to have a discussion.

In no particular order: 'Fan Boys, 'Talking out of your behind'; 'Desperate Celtic Fans', are examples of unwelcome posting.

Please remember that it is your responsibility to ensure that you contribute in a positive manner, that does not mean you have to agree with everyone else but you must avoid deliberate disruption of the forum.

You should be prepared to argue cogently and coherently in support of your argument - calling a league 'pants' is not good enough and will be viewed as baiting.

Any further posts that use the topic of the the value of a Republic of Ireland footballer moving to Celtic (or any club, any league) to have a dig will be viewed as deliberate disruption of the thread.

He could get European football at Dundalk as well in fairness, bit of a nonsense argument.

Ah come on. Celtic topped their EL group last season. I'm all for promoting the League of Ireland, but that's not a comparison to Dundalk or Rovers getting one or two early round qualifiers. Hopefully both will progress in the EL but thus far there's no comparison there.
    The PL is a higher level, which means he's testing himself against better players every week, which is better for Ireland. What's so hard to understand about that?

Yes the EPL is higher level, no one said any different. Duffy has been playing in it for years so perhaps it will do him and Ireland by extension no harm to experience life outside the usual relegation dogfights he's involved in in the EPL and sample a European campaign with Celtic hopefully that could be very beneficial experience for him re Irish international games. I don't see any downside for Ireland if Duffy joins Celtic and I totally reject what EPL supporters on here say in relation to this possible transfer.

Anyway, if I wanted to chat about Celtic I'd do so in their thread.

Well sure go ahead, but if you scroll up it's not Celtic fans that keep bringing this conversation up again in this Republic of Ireland thread.

The way you say EPL fanboys makes it sound like it's a bad thing?
    The only difference between and Irish person watching SPL or EPL is the standard of the product there watching,

Well I've been told not to use that phrase again so I'll refrain from doing so. I think there is a case on here that most soccer fans on this site are EPL supporters and they don't see or want to see that Irish players could develop and add to their careers by playing in a league outside of the EPL or the feeder leagues into that league.

I've made my points re the possible advantages for Shane Duffy if he signs for Celtic in terms of different experiences that may add to his game. You don't accept those views or see the argument, fine. I still hope Duffy signs and I'm certain it'll be a good move for him and Ireland and Celtic if he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

I'm a big Celtic fan.

But for the sake of the Ireland national team, I really hope Duffy stays down south. Our defenders get caught out in European games quite often, and a big part of the reason for this is because they just don't face a high enough calibre of players in the league every week. When they face someone half-decent in Europe, I think they get caught cold from having it too easy in the SPL.

Look how great Shay Given was, when behind rubbish Newcastle defences in the EPL for years. All that practice keeping his team in games, turned him into one the best in the league. We need Duffy playing in the EPL every week - even if it's in a relegation dogfight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Jayson Molumby played the second half for Brighton in their 1-1 pre-season friendly with Chelsea. Brighton fans seem very positive about how he did. Still not clear whether he will stay or go out on loan. Connolly won the Brighton penalty that Gross scored.

Danny McNamara appeared to have a good day too.

https://twitter.com/StAnalysis/status/1299739474478407680

I'm a big Celtic fan.

But for the sake of the Ireland national team, I really hope Duffy stays down south. Our defenders get caught out in European games quite often, and a big part of the reason for this is because they just don't face a high enough calibre of players in the league every week. When they face someone half-decent in Europe, I think they get caught cold from having it too easy in the SPL.

Look how great Shay Given was, when behind rubbish Newcastle defences in the EPL for years. All that practice keeping his team in games, turned him into one the best in the league. We need Duffy playing in the EPL every week - even if it's in a relegation dogfight.
    You’re a big Celtic fan, are you sure about that? When Van Dijk played at Celtic for 2 or 3 seasons did he become a bad defender because the domestic opponents were poor in standard? Did players like Brown or Forrest become poor players despite spending their whole careers at Celtic? If Duffy goes to Celtic it’ll be a change of scene, a new lease of life it could be exactly what he needs. It certainly will not damage his career.

What are you arguing here exactly, that a player shouldn’t join a club you claim to support? Is this some kind of joke.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I would prefer Duffy went to a decent championship club over the Scottish league tbh.

Mod: removed some posts that were far too specific about Celtic rather than a Republic of Ireland player.

Time to move on from Celtic talk now, thread has had enough. Back on topic of Republic of Ireland please, you can continue specific Celtic discussion in the Celtic thread or by PM

Maguire starting his season with a goal.

https://twitter.com/ballsdotie/status/1299771676989812736?s=19

• Advertisement

I was wondering why Maguire was left out, I took it he was injured? I think his omission is a bigger surprise than Obafemi being left out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Don't know if it was mentioned earlier or I didn't see it mentioned maybe someone posted it the Celtic thread :D but Troy Parrott got another one for Millwall today.

https://twitter.com/MillwallFC/status/1299718925857492997?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭square ball

I was wondering why Maguire was left out, I took it he was injured? I think his omission is a bigger surprise than Obafemi being left out

He hasn't done a whole pile to impress in a green jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Maguire is struggling for games in the championship and Obafemi is starting alot of games in the premiership it's not a bigger surprise

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Maguire is struggling for games in the championship and Obafemi is starting alot of games in the premiership it's not a bigger surprise

Had some struggles since moving over but he started 36 of 44 league games and played over 3,000 minutes last season. He played and contributed more than Robinson for example who is in the squad.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/112679/Show/Sean-Maguire

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/138768/History/Callum-Robinson

Obafemi started 8 league games and had less than 700 minutes.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/351355/Show/Michael-Obafemi

I don't need to state how little Parrott played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Maguire is just not good enough physically or technically. He scores roughly one goal in every 8 games he plays in a fairly good championship team. Scored once for Ireland in 8 games, in a friendly against New Zealand.

Not saying that there are necessarily stats there to prove the youngsters picked ahead of him are better players right now but at least they have the potential to make big contributions for Ireland over the next decade, whereas Maguire has shown his limitations over the last three years. He hasn't improved from a point that wasn't good enough at the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Hopefully a good move for Doherty and it works for him. Who was the rb rwb at Spurs that he’ll be competing with? Do Spurs under Mourinho play a 3-5-2?

Hopefully a good move for Doherty and it works for him. Who was the rb rwb at Spurs that he’ll be competing with? Do Spurs under Mourinho play a 3-5-2?

Serge Aurier player RB for Spurs last season. They play with a back four but the RB is given more freedom to attack and the LB tucks in to make a back three when the other attacks.

sugarman wrote: »
    Dara O'Shea has been called up to the senior squad.

Don't know who for, probably McCarthy given yesterday's news that he's unlikely to be fit.

McCarthy and Parrott are having scans, so could be either of them he replaced. Joe Hodge called into the U21s squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Ideally, Spurs stick with a back 4 as it looks like Kenny will play that way also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Spurs play a back 4. He won't be competing with anyone because Serge Aurier is an absolute liability and will probably be sold. Be interesting to see how Doherty settles into the system but if he's got a bit of work to do on the defensive side of his game, he has the right coach.

I'm not sure Doherty can be expected to perform quite the same way in an attacking sense if he has the defensive responsibilities as a RB.

Will be interesting to see.

I wonder will this have any effect on whatever system Kenny was intending to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,888 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Looking forward to this week

New era begins and an irish player back to a top club is a good start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Begovic starting ahead of Travers v Benica tonight in Bournemouths pre season friendly. Himself and Kilkenny are on the bench.

Hopefully not a sign of things to come. I'd think though they might opt for experience and an international goalie his season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Maguire over Obafemi ahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Maguire over Obafemi ahaha

LOL.

WTF is the manger up to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Maybe a bit surprising he didn't call up Obafemi, but I think Sean Maguire could be a useful player for us under Kenny. Versatile as to where he can play in a front three, performing at a consistent level for Preston in the Championship the last three years and starts for them when he is fit, hasn't developed into the goalscorer we hoped he might when he left Cork but still a decent player. He really hasn't had much of a chance in an Ireland jersey, apart from the 1-0 win in Gibraltar (which was an awful match from everyone) I don't think he has started any other competitive game for us and has only really had cameos off the bench. Admittedly has not done much to impress in those cameos, but I wouldn't write him off in a green jersey.

• Advertisement

He's showing a farcical level of stubbornness now in continuing to overlook Obafemi. It's an insult to the player. Presumably if Maguire gets injured he'll be on the phone to Cillian Sheridan next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Could be totally wrong, but either way I'd spare any real criticism of Kenny and his squad selections until we've played a handful of game at the least.

But how would people up their post count and start sniping at Kenny? I get the impression some are annoyed that, due to the Covid-19, they couldn't start it a lot earlier. Can go back to when Kenny was announced and the stalls well and truly set out then. I say this as someone who thinks he was very unlucky to miss out on the squad, but the exaggeration over a guy with 13 starts and 3 goals is highly dramatic.

I wonder if the Obafemi tweet to the initial exclusion had anything to do with the subsequent one.

Corholio wrote: »
    But how would people up their post count and start sniping at Kenny? I get the impression some are annoyed that, due to the Covid-19, they couldn't start it a lot earlier. Can go back to when Kenny was announced and the stalls well and truly set out then. I say this as someone who thinks he was very unlucky to miss out on the squad, but the exaggeration over a guy with 13 starts and 3 goals is highly dramatic.

Is it not warrented when lads like Parrot who had 0 starts are called up ahead of him

How can you tell Obafemi he has a future when lads not even playing are ahead of him it can't get worse than that when your overlooked for someone who hasn't started a game at club level

Imagine the reaction on here a few years ago if Trap or MON refused to call up a striker that had scored goals against Chelsea and Man United in favour of lads that were playing at a lower level - one of whom hasn't even played more than a handful of games at senior level - and the defence for this was that Trap/MON had decided to pick their own players that they think best suits their system. There would be an almighty sh*t storm kicked up over that, and I've seen it done for less egregious acts of stupidity than this.

But of course, Kenny managed Dundalk, so some have to give him a sort of LOI get-out-of-jail-of-one's-own-making card.

Look at it honestly and dispassionately and it is simply indefensible for a country of our size and resources to snub a player like Obafemi at this juncture.

It is early days and Kenny needs to be judged by performances on the pitch, but there are major red flags on show here and some don't want to acknowledge it, even if they have to twist themselves into knots and take positions they never would have taken under previous coaches.

Imagine the reaction on here a few years ago if Trap or MON refused to call up a striker that had scored goals against Chelsea and Man United in favour of lads that were playing at a lower level - one of whom hasn't even played more than a handful of games at senior level - and the defence for this was that Trap/MON had decided to pick their own players that they think best suits their system. There would be an almighty sh*t storm kicked up over that, and I've seen it done for less egregious acts of stupidity than this.

But of course, Kenny managed Dundalk, so some have to give him a sort of LOI get-out-of-jail-of-one's-own-making card.

Look at it honestly and dispassionately and it is simply indefensible for a country of our size and resources to snub a player like Obamfemi at this juncture.

It is early days and Kenny needs to be judged by performances on the pitch, but there are major red flags on show here and some don't want to acknowledge it, even if they have to twist themselves into knots and take positions they never would have taken under previous coaches.

Relax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Look at it honestly and dispassionately and it is simply indefensible for a country of our size and resources to snub a player like Obafemi at this juncture.

Acts of stupidity.......indefensible........major red flags.......

Before even 1 game played. I mean, I fully expected it but it's still slightly hilarious to see. Compared to the stratospheric, over the top post the last time it's relatively tame I guess. Not sure how there's an LOI get out of jail card when it's only a very small amount of people in comparison, which some like to constantly bleat about.

Trap and O'Neill were well supported before their first games because.....well.......it was their first games. He's very unlucky to miss out but geez, I'm constantly surprised at some over reactions, even when you shouldn't be on this forum.

Is it not warrented when lads like Parrot who had 0 starts are called up ahead of him

How can you tell Obafemi he has a future when lads not even playing are ahead of him it can't get worse than that when your overlooked for someone who hasn't started a game at club level

Where were all these tantrums when Mick picked Parrott over Obafemi? Obafemi only has a ten minute cameo from MONs time whereas Mick started Parrott in a senior international match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Kenny has played Parrott in numerous games at 21's. He's seen him train on an ongoing basis. He knows Parrott.

Obafemi has one under 21 game with Kenny and limited time on training ground.

This isn't championship Manager. There's more to a football team than a player's stats. Minimal stats at that if people are being honest.

Where were all these tantrums when Mick picked Parrott over Obafemi? Obafemi only has a ten minute cameo from MONs time whereas Mick started Parrott in a senior international match.

To be fair that was early October last year, both where at a similar untried level since one has made himself almost a Premier league regular scoring a few goals and the others been In the papers more times fir the company he keeps than for football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Exactly.

This is an odd International window too in that its straight off the back of a short summer break in club football and players have been selected on the basis of last seasons performances (Be that at their clubs and/or the u21s) with the new season yet to begin.

...and with the new season beginning following this window, a lot of our younger players will be involved more than ever.. i.e Parrott gone on loan to Millwall in the Championship, Idah now expected to play a bigger part in the Championship, Connolly and Obafemi looking to build on last season in the PL etc...

If Obafemi gets off the a flier and others havent and IF he is omitted from Kennys next squad in October. Then i'd certainly have questions over his selection, but as is you just have to reserve criticism and support Kenny and the team.

Going back to Trap/MON analogy, I dont remember any criticism before a game was ever played either. Particularly about a player being left out. That came down the line. As said, they were well supported at the start of their tenures.

How many losses before Kenny is shown up to be a dud??

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement