Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gallery rifle centrefire

Options
  • 24-06-2020 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi all, hope you're keeping well.

I want to get into GRCF later in the year. I'm wondering about rifles. From what I've seen and asked, there seems to be two main ones used : the Marlin 1894 and Rossi (92?) both in 38/357.

So can any of ye advise on pros/cons or each, more options, where to get a hold of one, what I can expect to pay, new/second hand, things to look out for etc etc? Any input appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭clivej

I have the Marlin 1894. The model I now have is a newer Remington rifle that shoots as good as the Marlin stamped rifles.
    I have slicked and tricked it out so the lever action is easy to rack, replaced with the one piece firing pin and honed the moving parts to again ease the racking to reload.
    These side eject so you can put a rifle scope on top
    Prices range from €700 to €1200 second hand for good rifles.

I have only shot the Rossi a couple of times.
    I found it was harder to reload the rounds into the gate mag. Ane because they top eject you need to use a scout scope. OR fit a shute under a rifle scope to eject the empty cases out from the top side ways.
    Thereare a good few shooters that shot the Rossi's and shoot well with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I have both guns. My Marlin is a pre-Remington takeover model.

As Clivej says, the Rossi is a top ejection model and this means that most people use a scout scope that is fitted forward of the ejection port. Scout scopes mean less magnification. Not necessarily a problem at 50m but I prefer higher magnification. I've never seen anybody use a shell deflector to allow an ordinary scope to be fitted to a Rossi.

An advantage of the scout scope is that you can have fractionally quicker target acquisition. So advantantages and disadvantages with scout scopes.

The Rossi is fractionally more difficult to load, I find it harder on the fingers when loading the gun but that can be overcome by practice and toughening up the fingers (and removing the sharp edges from the loading gate with a bit of emery paper).

I haven't weighed the guns but the Rossi seems lighter than the Marlin.

The Rossi does't have the reliability issues that plagued the first lot of Marlin guns that were produced by Remington. The new batch seem to be fine but just be careful you don't get a so-called 'Remlin'. That batch were sh1te. I've heard of reputable gunsmiths who couldn't make them reliable. In other words, you won't get a bad Rossi but you might get a bad Marlin (produced by Remington).

If I was allowed to use two guns in the one competition, I'd use the Rossi at 10m and 15m and I'd use the Marlin at 25m+.

I use the Marlin much more than I use the Rossi mainly because I prefer more magnification but the Rossi is a lovely gun and several top shooters use them and do very well indeed with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭RS98

Thanks guys very good info here. I'll avoid the older remington made 1894s so.

Just a couple more, how important is the round count on these and after how many should I be worried?

Also, any advantage to the 44 over the 38 other than slightly bigger holes in paper? Worth it for the extra recoil?

How much can I expect to pay for the Rossi new/ second hand?

Finally, would most restricted dealers have these in stock?

Thanks again

RS98 wrote: »
    Just a couple more, how important is the round count on these and after how many should I be worried?

I only know of one shooter in the UK who had to change their barrel due to the round count so I don't think it's an issue. It did have an incredibly high round count if the shooter could be believed. He claimed that it had over 40,000 rounds through it. The only other times I've heard of someone having to change the barrel is due to damage or bulging in the barrel caused by a squib load.

It's nearly the price of a new gun to change the barrel on a Marlin. (again I'm open to correction on that).
    Also, any advantage to the 44 over the 38 other than slightly bigger holes in paper? Worth it for the extra recoil?

The bigger holes from the .44 is an advantage and is favoured by many UK shooters but the extra recoil is a negative. The UK shooters have the advantage of being allowed to reload their ammo so they can tailor their rounds to reduce the amount of recoil. They can have .44's with less recoil than a .38. We don't have that advantage here. :(
    How much can I expect to pay for the Rossi new/ second hand?

I think they are in around €800 - €900 for a new one. I've mine a good few years now so I could be a little out with that price.
    Finally, would most restricted dealers have these in stock?

You'd be best off to phone around and see if anyone has them and they'd be best placed to tell you the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Hack12

I prefer the Rossi over the Marlin but it is a personal preference for me. I find the Rossi a better gun and I've had both but again others swear by Marlins.

Some don't like the scout scope on the Rossi but that is what I do like as very quick acquisition on the target.

Hilltop have a Rossi (stainless) in stock and it is a lovely gun
    http://www.hilltopshootingsports.com/index.asp?PTYPE=SHOPITEM&ITEMID=764&BTNFLAG=1uote="RS98;113829512"]Hi all, hope you're keeping well.

Pat O'Mahony in Kerry also has Ubertis but I've not tried them myself but another option to look at.

Marlins can be hard to get and the new ones seem to be coming in around €1,600 to €1,800 based on UK prices but I've to see one here yet.

I want to get into GRCF later in the year. I'm wondering about rifles. From what I've seen and asked, there seems to be two main ones used : the Marlin 1894 and Rossi (92?) both in 38/357.

So can any of ye advise on pros/cons or each, more options, where to get a hold of one, what I can expect to pay, new/second hand, things to look out for etc etc? Any input appreciated.

Thanks[/quote]

• Advertisement

Thanks to all of ye, I've got a good bit to go on, I'll ring around and see what's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mopro80

I understand CF lever action rifles are restricted, but never found any reference to that in laws/SIs. Can anyone enlighten me?

mopro80 wrote: »
    I understand CF lever action rifles are restricted, but never found any reference to that in laws/SIs. Can anyone enlighten me?

Its not necessarily that all centerfire lever actions are restricted, it's just that the ones mentioned here use bullets of caliber > 0.308 inch which is the cut off for unrestricted.

If you had a 270 win lever action for example it'd be unrestricted as far as I know.

mopro80 wrote: »

up to .308 is unrestricted, everything bigger is restricted. .38 spl is bigger

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mopro80

clivej wrote: »

Thanks for the explanations. I would have never thought of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

And the .308 has four or five times the muzzle energy of the .38spl from a rifle, if not more. A lad in the club was looking for a lever action for gallery and made the comparison, between .300 win mag (unrestricted) against .38spl (restricted) at the interview with the chief super, saying larger calibre does not mean more power.

"Thats grand" said the chief, "you can have the .300 so".

Can pump action centrefires be used for gallery ? Never seen one used, but they are not as common as levers. IMI used do a pistol calibre centrefire, the timberwolf it was called.

tudderone wrote: »
    Can pump action centrefires be used for gallery ? Never seen one used, but they are not as common as levers. IMI used do a pistol calibre centrefire, the timberwolf it was called.

Not realy, you can't reload fast enough

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Limerick Sovereigns

RS98 wrote: »
    Its not necessarily that all centerfire lever actions are restricted, it's just that the ones mentioned here use bullets of caliber > 0.308 inch which is the cut off for unrestricted.

If you had a 270 win lever action for example it'd be unrestricted as far as I know.

Would the rules of the sport allow you to fire an 1895 270 winchester in a CF gallery competition in Ireland?

I did see a browning lever action in .223 with an ar mag conversion fitted, very slick. I think Armalon in the UK do it. If someone made a lever action in .30 carbine, it would be ideal, non restricted etc.

Would the rules of the sport allow you to fire an 1895 270 winchester in a CF gallery competition in Ireland?

Its just pistol calibers as far as I know so no. And most ranges wouldn't be rated for something that big anyway.

You might need shoulder surgery after a 1500 with a 270 :D

I did see a browning lever action in .223 with an ar mag conversion fitted, very slick. I think Armalon in the UK do it. If someone made a lever action in .30 carbine, it would be ideal, non restricted etc.

Pistol calibres only

I found some Uberti's in stock. Has anyone any experience with them?

Pistol calibres only

So .500 S&W or .454 casull then :rolleyes: ?

So .500 S&W or .454 casull then :rolleyes: ?

No experience of the .500 S&W but the kick from the .454 casull pistol I shot before was something else. You wouldn't fire too many of those yokes without your shoulders coming loose at the sockets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Richard308

Anyone make an fn57 for that class. I’d be having one and not restricted 😂

Got sorted with a new Rossi 92 stainless. Thanks to everyone for the help.

RS

Advertisement