Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent/bills division

Options
  • 24-04-2020 7:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

The following is a query that I presume has been asked on boards before but is something I can't find and it applies to the brother so I said I'd ask here to get a few answers.

The brother is moving into a shared house next week with a few friends, 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom. 2100 a month, 700 each all fine.

The area of difference has arisen with one person saying last night, that the partner will be moving in with them in the coming months once this lockdown has expired. The partner is fine, sound out etc. However they have said the rent should be split by rooms not people while bills should be people not rooms. The brother says it's fine but I think he's being taken for a ride.

Am I right in thinking that everyone should pay 525 each and that this is fairer on everyone in the house. Otherwise you have two paying 350 a month and the other two paying 700 a month. It just seems one sided in my book. I only rent with two others and we don't have partners etc yet so haven't hit this condundrum before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

The following is a query that I presume has been asked on boards before but is something I can't find and it applies to the brother so I said I'd ask here to get a few answers.

The brother is moving into a shared house next week with a few friends, 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom. 2100 a month, 700 each all fine.

The area of difference has arisen with one person saying last night, that the partner will be moving in with them in the coming months once this lockdown has expired. The partner is fine, sound out etc. However they have said the rent should be split by rooms not people while bills should be people not rooms. The brother says it's fine but I think he's being taken for a ride.

Am I right in thinking that everyone should pay 525 each and that this is fairer on everyone in the house. Otherwise you have two paying 350 a month and the other two paying 700 a month. It just seems one sided in my book. I only rent with two others and we don't have partners etc yet so haven't hit this condundrum before.

More people is more wear and tear and more stuff to be shared, so yes the rent should be split differently also. Make it 800 for two sharing and 600 each for the other rooms otherwise let the 3rd person see how much they pay in the real world to share as a couple.

Bills should be split by person definitely. Or divided by 4 and that’s it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

When i house shared the bigger room was slightly more rent. As in paying 700 for a box room and 700 for a master bedroom is not fair either.
    Doesnt answer your question i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

Any shared house I lived in the couple would of course pay less each since they are sharing a room. Not half everyone else's rate though. Say the couple pay €400 each and the single occupancies pay €650. Or a €450/€600 split would be fair.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

There's a few elements to it. The couple aren't getting extra space in the house. Their room, IMO, should be rented at the same price as everyone else. Though you say it's a 3 bed 3 bath. I assume at least 2 room is en suite? That room should generally pay more than the others.

They do however occupy more of the common areas. It's hard to put a price on that but a minor contribution wouldn't go amiss. Extra 100 (800, 650, 650).

Bills are different though. TV, heating, electricity, TV license should all be split 4 ways.

Fyiy, unless you really get along with them, couples are a disaster to live with. They're 2 voices to every arguement/decision in the household.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

TheW1zard wrote: »
    When i house shared the bigger room was slightly more rent. As in paying 700 for a box room and 700 for a master bedroom is not fair either.

All rooms are about the same size. Good standard double bedrooms. Ensuite with each. Class house

• Advertisement

800 650 650 seems to be a common trend here

TheW1zard wrote: »

Happened to me before. Thought the rent split was 450/550. Turns out it was 450/450. The couple had the same rent as me, the en suite and underground parking.

I insisted on it being changed and it was. Moved out when they got a little dog and never consulted me. They were a horrible couple to live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

My now Husband and I rented in a house share with 2 others before we bought together.
    We had the Master Bedroom with Ensuite. There were 2 other good sized Doubles, 1 Main Bathroom and 1 downstairs Toilet.

We as a couple paid more per room than the 2 others but less per person if that makes sense. We split the Bills 4 ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

The person who announced their partner is moving in without discussing it first is a dick. Sure they havent even moved in yet.

Thats the real issue

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Of your brother is OK with it, why start a war?

As regards the bills and rent although the person sharing the room with their partner will now only have half a room so technically they will be suffering and should be happy to only pay half of what they normally do ( assuming their partner gives them half the rent) it will put pressure on the rest of the flatmates as regards kitchen use, choice of sofa/chairs in the living room, access to amenities like parking/bathroom in the morning etc.

I don’t think anyone is ever happy sharing with a couple but perhaps they are all thinking the same thing - Great, no problems when my G/f wants to
    come over or move in...maybe they all have their eye on the bigger prize!

It might turn out really well for them with more girls hanging out in the place to visit their mate, someone who is sound that they all like moving in etc

If they all have ensuites or the couple has, and the house is big enough to accommodate an extra including the parking then it might work out well. I would raise the issue of deposits - if the landlord finds they are moving someone in who is not on the lease they could justifiably be very unhappy and withhold their deposits - particularly at then end of their tenancy for breech of terms. And if I were their landlord I would have a big issue with it as it creates a mess around leases and who I have to give notice to when the lease term is up, who is registered under the PTRB as living there which is a legal compliance thing and creates a big mess if there is a complaint or problem.

if one of the others falls out with them in due course or gets sick of them and complains to the landlord, or if a nosey neighbour tells the landlord, or if the landlord happens to find out then all their deposits are at risk and this is the issue I would have with it as they will be in breech of the terms of the PTRB lease agreement and possibly their lease. Your brother may want to move his g/f in thou so may not care!

• Advertisement

Don’t let the extra person move in would be my advice, it will be a totally different dynamic in the house with a couple etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭meijin

However they have said the rent should be split by rooms not people while bills should be people not rooms. The brother says it's fine but I think he's being taken for a ride.

it is very reasonable regarding the payment split

sharing with a couple... might be not

but if he's happy, why are you trying to cause troubles?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

easiest way I've always found was you take the common areas as a room and divide by person , so take your scenario

2100 a month,
    3 beds
    + 1 common area

525 per area

the last 525 split by people, in this case 4 (131.25)

so the other 2 rooms with only 1 person pay 525 + 131.25 = 656.25 (656 for the sake of it)

656 for room 1 , 656 for room 2, 788 for the room with the couple.

split all bills equally.

by the way living with a couple is a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Split the rent by the room.
    However they have said the rent should be split by rooms not people while bills should be people not rooms.
    Yup, split the bills between the people.

=-=

3 lads will be 3 people who, if there is an issue, will be three separate people.

When the gf moves in, there'll be two people that will agree with each other, against two separate people for any issue. This dynamic can be bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Don’t let the extra person move in would be my advice, it will be a totally different dynamic in the house with a couple etc.

yes this is the main problem, I would also suggest that your brother and the other person opted to vote against this girl moving in. it will indeed change the dynamic of the house. as pointed out already this guy is a dick if he hasn't even discussed this with the others in the house.

Money matters will be forgotten about when all these arguments start

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

What kind of couple even want to move in with a bunch of strangers?

After smashing the bed against the room next door with the riding and then come down to make awkward conversation with the housemates over the corn-flakes in the morning.

Baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

salonfire wrote: »
    What kind of couple even want to move in with a bunch of strangers?

Ones who can't afford, or don't want to, pay the rent for a self-contained unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Ones who can't afford, or don't want to, pay the rent for a self-contained unit.

Then they should get a better job, live separately, or find a place of their own.

A house-share is no place for a couple.

They take over the dynamic of the place, the others have to listen to their night time activities and to top it off the couple pay less (individually) for the privilege of imposing themselves on the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

salonfire wrote: »
    Then they should get a better job, live separately, or find a place of their own.

A house-share is no place for a couple.

They take over the dynamic of the place, the others have to listen to their night time activities and to top it off the couple pay less (individually) for the privilege of imposing themselves on the others.

If they don't want to pay more why should they? It is a matter for their flat mates whether to put up with them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Thanks to everyone for their contribution in the thread. The answer as to what they did was couple decided to pay 750 while the two other tenants pay 675.

• Advertisement
Advertisement