Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2020-22 Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

ICS will lend to you before your probation is up, and will take your salary in 2 increments time. They make the most sense for CS borrowers, unless you need a big exception.

Depending on the role, some other banks might lend because its CS, but far less likely.

Edit: you only have to be finished probation by drawdown so if you're only starting to look at houses now its unlikely you'd be eve ready to draw down within 6 months, depending on your circumstances so you can get AIP from any of them. They'll usually put passing probation in as a condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

In general when you're on probation you can get AIP so can look to start bidding etc, but they let you draw down (on a house you have gone SA on) until you're off probation.

However if it's a promotion, that sounds a bit muddled... it would be best to perhaps ask the bank directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

I was mortgage approved while 3 months into probation with AIB.

To waive my probation, they took my position, company, work history (had to give them my CV) and my industry into consideration. I had a good 3 month review done at that point which definitely helped, too.

My mortgage advisor then took all that information and made a case with the underwriters and they then agreed to waive it.

Since you’ve been promoted internally I doubt there would be an issue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,155 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

That’s not probation as the banks see it. You’re still a full time permanent employee to them. Worst case scenario (and the banks know it’s hugely unlikely) is you’ll revert to your previous grade

congrats on the promotion and good luck with the house hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭BobCat123

Thanks everyone for the feedback, very helpful!

• Advertisement

It is though as banks wont take the higher salary as the base for the 3.5 times, as the individual can fail probation and go back to lower pay.

Everything depends on the banks preferences though, so ask your bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 KaisceComoly

FTB here applying with my partner. Joint income of €137K looking for a mortgage of €324K. We have a holding deposit on a new build and have €30K HTB.

While we have been saving and paying rent consistently over the last 12 months, we stopped saving in Oct (foolishly) and were going to pick it back up this month. Do you think we will need to wait another 6 months before applying?

Is it possible that we could sign contracts with a view to applying for our mortgage in June (house won't be ready until Nov 2022)?

I feel the fly in the ointment may be that I neglected and old PTSB current account when I moved to KBC a few years back. It has an approved overdraft of €1K and when I moved to KBC I didn't clear it so it's been sat in overdraft unused. Is this going to be a huge red flag? I plan on clearing it over the next 2 months and closing the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Post edited by DopeTech on

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Ciara26

have u requested a credit history? It’s free as far as I can remember

• Registered Users Posts: 27 KaisceComoly

Yeah I've sent away for it but can take up to two weeks. May need to apply for the mortgage sooner as contracts are due soon and I've been told that I can't sign them until the loan offer is approved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

We got our mortgage through ICS in 2020. I’m in the public sector and was more than 6 months into the job but there was a longer probationary period. They let me draw down while still on probation. As far as I know, no other bank would have allowed it. I rang them all except Avant and Finance Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I've contacted ICS weeks ago (possibly 6 weeks ago) and heard nothing back. Are they usually slow or have i been lost among the applications?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They seem very slow, they quote 20 working days and then there was xmas plus new years now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Sorry, what part of the process is the 20 working days in relation to? I've an application in with them so good to know when to expect the delays.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yes, just getting AIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bleaks

Curious as to whether everyone uses bonkers to compare current mortgage offers?

Is it the most reliable and up to date aggregator of mortgage deals or is there any other options for comparisons?

Post edited by bleaks on

Seemed pretty uptodate when I looked

Savings is fine. They take the total and divide by X months to get your average. Obviously the more consistent the better.

On your overdraft, just cancel it before applying to make things go smoother. But you don't owe any money so it shouldn't reduce the amount you can borrow or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Many single people getting mortgages these days successfully? I got approval for a second mortgage via ICS through a broker. Have a small mortgage on existing place, plan to hold onto it and move to new place. Hasn’t been easy- I look with envy at the amounts some couples here seem to be able to borrow and buy! Have a fairly decent salary €60k plus benefits but multiplied by 3.5 and our property market it won’t exactly get a mansion. Part of the country I live in (Kilkenny) is very expensive. Again I look with envy at prices in other parts of the country. Also it is 80% loan to value with ICS so need a big whack saved. Not moaning but again not easy when buying as a single!

• Advertisement

I’m on 60k too in Dublin,I’ve gotten a exemption for the mortgage. Have u tried that?

Thanks ciara, no I didn’t bother. With keeping my existing property I’m a good bit more constrained. Was happy enough to get approval for what I did to be honest. They won’t go above the 80% ltv either. How are you getting on looking for property in Dublin with that budget?

Broker said re the ltv % as a second time buyer that would be an exception request and they are just not entertaining them at this time. Probably the same score with the 3.5 times salary

I got a 2 bed home in Tallaght, nice little area. Waiting for contacts so wont be popping the champagne jut yet lol. boards has been a godsend re advice. ive been so lost during it all

That’s great congratulations- did you have to go up against many bids? Did it go much over the asking price for you?

I got a new build so thankfully I didn’t need to outbid. I was nearly stalking the agents though😀 got the HTB and used my savings to cover the full cost. Not sure what is meant by ics mortgage. Got mine through ptsb

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bleaks

Sorry, but I don't have much sympathy for you already owning a property with your small mortgage.

Sell it if you want to buy a nicer house.

Most of us are struggling to buy our first home during this ridiculous crisis and facing massive mortgage loans until we're 70.

Never asked for sympathy, why would I? I don’t have a fancy property by any means- hence the small mortgage. By the same token I am entitled to do with my money what I see fit

• Advertisement

Advertisement