Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New house no gas meter

Options
  • 20-12-2015 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi we recently got keys to our new house. The house was built in 2009 but was re possessed from a developer and no one ever lived in the house. Its all set up for gas heating ie pipes etc etc.
    Long story short there is no gas meter in the cabinet outside the house. Is this expensive to get fitted or do the gas companies put it in for you.
    The house is in a small park too so the gas is already being piped.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm getting a bit worried about the cost of this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You have to ring a gas supplier and ask them to find out what is required to get this into operation.

They will ask Gas Networks Ireland to install a meter for you. There will be a charge for this and it is hard to say how much it will be. It depends if there are any issues with the supply.

You will also need a boiler and appliance service.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭pacman1989

You have to ring a gas supplier and ask them to find out what is required to get this into operation.

They will ask Gas Networks Ireland to install a meter for you. There will be a charge for this and it is hard to say how much it will be. It depends if there are any issues with the supply.

You will also need a boiler and appliance service.

Will we really need the service as the boiler is brand new.
    Any idea of a ball park figure. Will this be in the 00s or 000s ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What does your contract with the developer say about utility fees?
    pacman1989 wrote: »
    Surely it was installed in 2009? If there is ano existing gas connection, it can't ahve been tested properly. Would you prefer to die of carbon monoxide poisoning or in a fireball?
    Any idea of a ball park figure. Will this be in the 00s or 000s ?
    A boiler service should be in the order of €100. The gas connection may vary considerably, depending on location and what arrangement the developer has / had with GNI.

Victor wrote: »
    What does your contract with the developer say about utility fees?Surely it was installed in 2009? If there is ano existing gas connection, it can't ahve been tested properly. Would you prefer to die of carbon monoxide poisoning or in a fireball?

A boiler service should be in the order of €100. The gas connection may vary considerably, depending on location and what arrangement the developer has / had with GNI.

You see it was repossessed from the developer so we got it off nama.
    I don't mind paying a few hundred I'm just worried this will cost a fortune.

I probably should have spotted this before purchasing but I paid 300 for an engineer and there was no mention of this not being there.

We live and learn I suppose just hope this won't be too costly a mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

If the gas pipes are in place and you just need a meter it won't be too steep. If they have to lay a pipe I think they have a flat fee up to a certain distance and then they charge by the metre. It'll be a couple hundred, not thousands, we had it done a few years back.

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    If the gas pipes are in place and you just need a meter it won't be too steep. If they have to lay a pipe I think they have a flat fee up to a certain distance and then they charge by the metre. It'll be a couple hundred, not thousands, we had it done a few years back.

The pipe is all laid already. Guess it won't be until after Christmas it will habitable.

Does anyone know any good gas people based in cork.

Does anyone know any good gas people based in cork.
    Any recommendations by private message please.

Take any such recommendations with a grain of salt.

loyatemu wrote: »
    If the gas pipes are in place and you just need a meter it won't be too steep.
    That assumes everything else is in place, for example is any of his street connected to the gas main on the main road.
    It'll be a couple hundred, not thousands, we had it done a few years back.
    Pricing structures have changed in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

You need to engage the services of an RGI installer, he will sort out the meter and commission the heating system for you. I will recommend one for you if you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

aujopimur wrote: »
    You need to engage the services of an RGI installer, he will sort out the meter and commission the heating system for you. I will recommend one for you if you like.

Recommendations by pm only as per the forum charter. Posters are advised to do their own research too as recommendations by pm cannot be verified.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The house was built in 2009 but was re possessed from a developer and no one ever lived in the house.

The boiler isn't really brand new if it was fitted in 2009, it's probably more accurate to say it is unused.

Personally I'd be looking to get it serviced before I even thought about using it.

In some circumstances it looks like you may have to pay a contribution to the cost of connecting the estate to the gas network on top of the cost of connecting the house.

There's some (none-specific details) about new connections here:

http://www.gasnetworks.ie/en-IE/Get-Connected/How-to-get-connected/Connecting-Your-Home-HTML-Page/

and

http://www.gasnetworks.ie/en-IE/Get-Connected/How-to-get-connected/Costs-of-Connection/

Best of luck in your new home.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    The boiler isn't really brand new if it was fitted in 2009, it's probably more accurate to say it is unused.

Personally I'd be looking to get it serviced before I even thought about using it.

In some circumstances it looks like you may have to pay a contribution to the cost of connecting the estate to the gas network on top of the cost of connecting the house.

There's some (none-specific details) about new connections here:

http://www.gasnetworks.ie/en-IE/Get-Connected/How-to-get-connected/Connecting-Your-Home-HTML-Page/

and

http://www.gasnetworks.ie/en-IE/Get-Connected/How-to-get-connected/Costs-of-Connection/

Best of luck in your new home.

And idea if this is something my engineer should have checked I paid him 300 for a full report

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

And idea if this is something my engineer should have checked I paid him 300 for a full report

What did you engage the engineer for?
    Utility checks or structural checks?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

In a Nama / receiver type situation this is pretty much what you have to deal with. If there is an issue with having to pay a contribution then it is more of a legal than an engineer issue. No doubt your solicitor explained to you the unusual nature of this type of purchase and you have to put it down to that.

It is also possible that there was a meter in place at one time and GNI removed it because it lay unused.

But don't worry about it. It is an unexpected expense, but it was basically unavoidable. there isn't anything wrong with your home. It is just something extra that needs to be done.

Be happy the weather is mild and enjoy your new home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We got gas installed a few years ago and dont remember any charge by gas networks to install a meter.
    If i remember correctly, we signed up for a new connection with Flogas and they arranged the installation with GN.

You will need the system tested once it connected to the network to ensure it working correctly.

We got gas installed a few years ago and dont remember any charge by gas networks to install a meter.
    If i remember correctly, we signed up for a new connection with Flogas and they arranged the installation with GN.
    With the separation of the network and supply businesses, charges have been re-cast to avoid cross-subsidisation / anti-competitive behaviour.

Advertisement