Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agent makes auction out of viewing

Options
  • 11-12-2015 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hey,

I just viewed an apartment that was advertised for €1400, there were a few people looking at the place so there was an application process afterwards. We sent our application in but were then notified that the price has changed as one of the candidates offered €1500 (according to the agent anyways). Can they just do that? This seems pretty dodgy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,726 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes. They can, and often do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Hey,

I just viewed an apartment that was advertised for €1400, there were a few people looking at the place so there was an application process afterwards. We sent our application in but were then notified that the price has changed as one of the candidates offered €1500 (according to the agent anyways). Can they just do that? This seems pretty dodgy.

What's dodgy? It was advertised for one price and someone offered more to secure it. The price does not have to be fixed at the advertised rate. Better get used to it, it is now the nature of th game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭john1963

where is the apartment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Hey OP, I think John wants to know where the apartment is located.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Hey,

That was happening when I was last looking for rented accommodation.

Although it was on two occasions where we were advised it was a private viewing, arrived and it was a group viewing. Auction started just as we walked in the front door with people throwing down outragous bids. Just turned around and walked out.

I've had good experiences dealing with landlords directly, so I tend to just avoid letting agencies and agents like the plague.

It is unfortunate that basically if someone is desperate enough, or has the invoice, they can just overshoot the initial offer and rarely an agency or landlord is going to say no. Pretty much the wild west at the moment, coupled with the central bank regulations, it's creating some mental desperation and some crazy behaviour from both sides.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I have to say I agree with Doc when it comes to avoiding agencies. Our current apartment was the only one we've ever rented direct from the LL and it was so much smoother. Not always the case but just something to keep in mind when looking at the likes of DAFT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

+1 TheDoc, I rent directly (as a LL) but you'd be suprised the number of people who prefer dealing with an agent! My tenants got a great deal as I got a very good vibe and wanted them in.

Advertisement