Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PRTB

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Tenants might then have to respect the contents of the property

Great idea

At least it wouldn't a source of disputes from either side.

details of a tenancy were not an issue in the past

how long do tenancys last anyway , there is no duration listed on the copy i have and the prtb will only confirm or deny what you say to them , you cant ask them anything as the tenancy has the tenants name listed only

Details of a tenancy are always an issue. You might have a tenant with a lease to live there rent free till they die or move on. They might even be entitled to other things like electricity or heating. You took a huge gamble buying a place not knowing these details or even if the place will make a return on investment. Its like buying a car not knowing if the engine works, or a viable repair. All of this is way off topics for the PRTB. You should have started a new seperate thread if you want to talk about something completely different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

PRTB thread???

Graces7 wrote: »
    [/B] Totally agree.. Shocked but not surprised by some of the posts here, given I am on my 6th Irish tenancy. I pay rent here; only good is usable items of furniture are thebed ( cast off of landlord) and two settees that have to be covered. An ancient tatty table, and a chest of drawers that fell apart.. chairs held together with string! oh and two cheap wardrobes ditto. I am lucky with a landlord who has replaced a fridge freezer from the ark but I told him where he could source a second hand one then. I supplied the microwave etc. In the previous place, every peice of furniture had been vandalised, graffitti... not my doing yet I was expected to live with it. I have never damaged any house or furniture and have always left a house in better condition than when I moved in. Painted here etc. I keep an eye on things and have free rein now re repairs etc.

Bad furniture is going to be obvious before moving in. So the solution to that is not rent a place with bad furniture. I suspect the real issue is that the lack of choice, lack of supply means you can't do this. You have to rent what you can get.

So then if the issue if lack of supply. You have to ask why is there a lack of supply. As this is a PRTB thread, we should ask has the PRTB helped with supply and other issues. You'd have to say its helped tenants mainly, some help to LL in terms of disputes and deposits But does not help with the large costs than can arise. Also the long delays in processing issues also impacts on LLs.

All these issues will have an issue on supply and high rents. You'd have to ask how much of this the director of the PRTB can influence. Should there be some measure of success that recompense is calculated from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

beauf wrote: »
    Bad furniture is going to be obvious before moving in. So the solution to that is not rent a place with bad furniture. I suspect the real issue is that the lack of choice, lack of supply means you can't do this. You have to rent what you can get.

So then if the issue if lack of supply. You have to ask why is there a lack of supply. As this is a PRTB thread, we should ask has the PRTB helped with supply and other issues. You'd have to say its helped tenants mainly, some help to LL in terms of disputes and deposits But does not help with the large costs than can arise. Also the long delays in processing issues also impacts on LLs.

All these issues will have an issue on supply and high rents. You'd have to ask how much of this the director of the PRTB can influence. Should there be some measure of success that recompense is calculated from.

Those kind of wider issues though are matters for the government. The PRTB has no role in policy making, other than of course to provide it's expertise to government through policy advice, research and recommendations. However, it is the government in the first instance and then the Dáil that decides on policy initiatives and legislative developments.

Uriel. wrote: »
    Those kind of wider issues though are matters for the government. The PRTB has no role in policy making, other than of course to provide it's expertise to government through policy advice, research and recommendations. However, it is the government in the first instance and then the Dáil that decides on policy initiatives and legislative developments.

Yes which is why I say you have to look at the issues that the PRTB can influence. Have they made enough improvements there, in their own back yard etc.

• Site Banned Posts: 3 only_kidding

how are the prtb likely to view the following

recently took possession of a property which has tenants in situ , tenants appear to be lovely people , however , they pointed to an issue with a noisy boiler , the boiler works , the heating is fine , its just an irritation due to its noise , is there an obligation on my part to replace this ? , i realise it would help with relations but the complaint pre dates my owning the joint

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

how are the prtb likely to view the following

recently took possession of a property which has tenants in situ , tenants appear to be lovely people , however , they pointed to an issue with a noisy boiler , the boiler works , the heating is fine , its just an irritation due to its noise , is there an obligation on my part to replace this ? , i realise it would help with relations but the complaint pre dates my owning the joint

The minimum standards for rented accommodation don't specify a noise level for a boiler. I'm not sure if a noisy boiler would been seen as preventing 'peaceful enjoyment of the property'.

It would probably be in the interests of everyone involved for you to get a qualified person in to service the boiler and give you a professional opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

beauf wrote: »

I would not rent or not rent on the basis of bad furniture. I would and have done try to get the basics replaced. If the house and more so the situation are fine then I will work round the lack but I lose respect for the landlord who lets a place furnished with damaged junk. Which is what is here! I can do wonders with covers etc. The lack of much furniture here was a plus. Less junk!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Can we stay on topic please

Advertisement