Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diego Maradona RIP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

inforfun wrote: »

All the stadiums in Argentina left their lights on overnight, but Boca's leaving his box's light on was absolutely class and very emotional (and I am a River Plate supporter).

I am watching the the last farewell...people is queueing for hours and travelled from very far to attend. Every club jersey is represented, even River's.

River and Boca supporters do not go anywhere near each other even when the national team is playing...and now they are hugging...that's Diego (beside anything that could be said about his lifestyle or political savviness, to put it kindly).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Seemed the play his best football under intense pressure. The more people who watched, the better he seemed to play. And as such in 86, when the world expected big things from the little man, he was more than equal to the challenge. The mark of a true great, rising to the challenge when it matters most. And no one in the sport has ever rose as high as Maradona! A legendary figure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

gzoladz wrote: »
    All the stadiums in Argentina left their lights on overnight, but Boca's leaving his box's light on was absolutely class and very emotional (and I am a River Plate supporter).

I am watching the the last farewell...people is queueing for hours and travelled from very far to attend. Every club jersey is represented, even River's.

River and Boca supporters do not go anywhere near each other even when the national team is playing...and now they are hugging...that's Diego (beside anything that could be said about his lifestyle or political savviness, to put it kindly).

My better half and her family are Boca Juniors fanatics and sent me this just now. Powerful given the rivalry between the two.

https://twitter.com/beINSPORTSUSA/status/1331983552720764928?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,271 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

BBC iPlayer showing the 1986 world cup game between England and Argentina tomorrow at 5pm

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Maradona was a once in a lifetime talent, unique and naturally gifted but a tough bastard and that's how he made it. Like George Best he was better than everyone but was also tough enough to take the worst tackles.

Modern stars like Messi and Ronaldo never faced a Bergomi of Milan or Jon Andoni "the Butcher of Bilbao" Goikoetxea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Got emotional watching the documentry.

The part right at the end of him playing astro turf barely able to move was tough to watch.

What a player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I normally hate comparing players from different eras because there are so many factors to consider including how the game is played. The likes of Pele, Best, Cryuff, Maradona, Platini, Ronaldo-1, Romario, Zidane, Messi, Ronaldo etc are all on their on pedestals. I think for me Maradona is my hero because I grew up in the 80’s. Back then there was much less access to matches so when the World Cups came around it Was quite a feast of multiple live matches on TV which was rare. So seeing Maradona carry the team on his back in 1986 was a sight to behold. Also later, I got into watching Serie A on Sundays, I think it was Channel 4 and back then Serie A was the top league.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

FatherTed wrote: »
    I normally hate comparing players from different eras because there are so many factors to consider including how the game is played. The likes of Pele, Best, Cryuff, Maradona, Platini, Ronaldo-1, Romario, Zidane, Messi, Ronaldo etc are all on their on pedestals. I think for me Maradona is my hero because I grew up in the 80’s. Back then there was much less access to matches so when the World Cups came around it Was quite a feast of multiple live matches on TV which was rare. So seeing Maradona carry the team on his back in 1986 was a sight to behold. Also later, I got into watching Serie A on Sundays, I think it was Channel 4 and back then Serie A was the top league.

Id say Maradona and Cruyff were even a cut above the other greats!

• Advertisement

2944302-60442008-2560-1440.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

and another thing...

At the 94 WC when FIFA announced his suspension FIFA made a big song and dance about Maradona having and I quote "a cocktail of drugs" in his system and that 5 different substances showed up. FIFA couldnt make it out any worse..

Months later when the dust settled FIFA quietly acknowleged that he did not have a "cocktail of drugs" in his system. He had inadvertly taken 2 but the "cocktail" of other substances was a result of natural chemical reactions/process within the body triggered by ephedrine and of no consequence. He had not taken a cocktail of 5 drugs.

Maradona was never the darling of the authorities like Pele or Messi nowadays.

Maradona had a war of words with FIFA president Joao Havelange in 1986 over getting kicked around the place and fact they had to play matches in the midday heat.

Joao Havelange was still in charge in 1994.
    Now Blatter, that well known beacon of ethics, claims Havelange wanted to cover up Maradona's test for ephedrine as well as four other banned products, but he would have none of it.
    Can anyone trust Blatter ?

Havelange saw Argentina as an obstacle to his Brazil winning the world cup, there is no doubt to that.

But it is also easy to see how Blatter absolutely hated Maradona by fact he refused to allow him anywhere near the likes of World Cup draws and it was only when he was manager of Argentina that he was there.

Hell when they wanted to select player of the century, Maradona won the vote, but when it came time to give out the prize it was jointly given to Maradona and Pele.
    Pele I think was nearly always at world cup draws upto recently.

For his part Maradona was publicly calling Blatter a criminal long before anyone else had the balls to do so.

And the FIFA love in for Pele was replaced with that of Messi.

Messi was given player of the tournament in 2014 when he probably wasn't even the best player on that Argentina team.
    Mascherano was the heart and soul of that team.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The talent in his left foot was insane. Look at compilations videos of his and it was simply magical. His free-kick technique was also something else. Hsi dribbling at high speed and the pace he had, matched with his confidence. I read that on his debut, at 15, he nutsed an opposition player after a few minutes.

I know his second goal against England is brillaint but his goal against Belgium in 86 is also pretty special. He just bursts through three defenders and then ups the pace to get past another before sliding it across the keeper when he's off balance and about to fall over. On my phone so it's trickt to link.

His temperament is something that's called into question but, like a lot of great players, he was all about winning and doing what he could to achieve that. That competitve edge was what drove him to lead teams to success, though it would spill over when things weren't working out.

By the time I got into football, he was already coming to his end, though I do remember that goal against Greece. I didn't see him in his pomp but he still had a great presence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,893 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

jmayo wrote: »
    Havelange saw Argentina as an obstacle to his Brazil winning the world cup, there is no doubt to that.

Messi was given player of the tournament in 2014 when he probably wasn't even the best player on that Argentina team.
    Mascherano was the heart and soul of that team.

Yeah after the first 2 games in 94 Argentina were the stand out team and on fire. Then bang...the heart was ripped out of them. After that Brazil were probably the worthy winners in the absence of any other genuine contenders. An already average Italy just didnt have enough left in the tank and Baggio was injured.

Ultimately Maradona failed the test so let's not try to get too carried away with conspiracy theories.

Even Messi was embarassed at getting player of the tournament- think there was an Adidas element too apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

The English just want to be the constant centre of attention no matter what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Watched the 2nd half of that film. Such tragedy. Kinda feeling sad now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭paulbok

Looks like the 3 lads that took selfies with his remains have met a grisly end at the hand of the Boca Ultras. 2 dead the other in intensive care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

paulbok wrote: »
    Looks like the 3 lads that took selfies with his remains have met a grisly end at the hand of the Boca Ultras. 2 dead the other in intensive care.

Jesus, that’s grim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Not sure if it was mentioned but I enjoyed this from when English journalists brought up the handball while he was in Scotland as coach of Argentina.

https://twitter.com/stu_fraser/status/1331938754362269696

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

paulbok wrote: »

What's your source for this? I can't find anything about it anywhere.

There’s a vid doing the rounds (which I haven’t seen) with a body in a dumpster. But that’s been proven to have been filmed in March so this likely the usual internet bull****?

Unfortunately it's true, Cookiemunster.

I woke up this morning with 4 media files in one of my Whats App groups which confirmed as much.

DVDM93 wrote: »

I woke up this morning with 4 media files in one of my Whats App groups which confirmed as much.

😂 When have viral WhatsApp videos ever proved true?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,017 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

WhatsApp messages have known to be fake.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Well I heard a radio report only two hours ago saying that they were begging for forgiveness after being fired.

Nunu wrote: »
    😂 When have viral WhatsApp videos ever proved true?!

Fair enough.

They look real.

All the better if they're not.

No need to be condescending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Got the same, but that's not proof and there's nothing online that I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭paulbok

Had seen it on Twitter this morning and got the same WhatsApp message Dvdm93 probably got.
    But yeah, not being reported on mainstream media anywhere so likely bullsh1t.
    Still, they did threaten it so may happen yet.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,569 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I was fortunate to see him play twice. Bryan Robson was up to the task at Old Trafford in 1984 when United beat Barcelona in the Cup Winners Cup QF second leg. The other time was very special - Wembley 1980 and and a 19yo at his absolute precocious best. Kevin Keegan was the England "star" at the time, but Maradona rang rings round him, and indeed the rest of the England team although the other Argentine players were not up for it and England beat the World Champions 3-1

The All Blacks before there game with Argentina today.

2061077_1_articlelarge_RUGBYU_20Argentina_20102018.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just a reminder that Channel 4 are showing the biopic Diego Maradona tonight at 9.30pm. Its mainly about his arrival and time at Napoli and how it lifted the whole city

That's why he is the greatest I could never see Messi or Ronnie going to one of the smallest poorest clubs in top fight football and then winning two league titles a Italian cup and a UEFA cup while also single handily winning a World Cup for his country doing all this while being kicked up and down every pitch he played on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

That's why he is the greatest I could never see Messi or Ronnie going to one of the smallest poorest clubs in top fight football and then winning two league titles a Italian cup and a UEFA cup while also single handily winning a World Cup for his country doing all this while being kicked up and down every pitch he played on.

Napoli paid a world record fee at the time for Maradona. They went into financial trouble after he left but they weren't necessarily poor financially when he joined them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,785 ✭✭✭✭kippy

He was a great of his time and indeed they were different times in many ways. Could have had many many more years being great.

Ronaldo and Messi won't be surpassed though for consistency over a very long period of time, that doesn't just involve natural ability and still, it demands extremely hard work over a long period of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,017 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

IF you watch some of the clips of Maradona v Italy, or v England, or some of the games in La Liga and Serie A, when he was kicked up in the air numerous times, it makes you realise he was playing in a completely different era to Messi and Ronaldo, who are so protected and rarely are on the receiving end of a harsh tackle.

It makes comparing different eras irrelevant.

Imagine the damage Maradona could have done if players werent allowed to tackle him?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Wasn't there stricter rules on foreign players in the eighties, which would have meant a more even playing field instead of the richest European teams full of the best South American/African players, also hasn't fitness and nuitrition come a lot way since then, in that doc released last year he had a beer gut playing for Napoli, don't know would any player last long in this generation with the habits he had back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

The Napoli supporters were completely crazy. It's not hard to see why they're going to name their stadium after him.
    The pressure of living there must have been incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Watching the movie documentary on Film 4.

At the stage when he's getting in too deep with the Camorra clan in 1987. Dinner parties, etc

The cocaine abuse is starting.

I can't understand why you'd make friends with the Mafia. Always ends in ruin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

I don't think you are given a choice to be friends with them, certainly not in Naples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I've seen this before but it'd more poignant now.

Argentina-Napoli was just the worst combination possible to be their Demi God. They loved him too much and it strangled him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

At the stage when he's getting in too deep with the Camorra clan in 1987. Dinner parties, etc

I would imagine it being bad for ones health not to accept dinner invitations from the Mafia.

In fairness as pointed out, he had no choice. You refuse the dinner invitation, you're disliked by the Camorra. You accept, you get protection.

This is a young kid who had no protection from anybody getting protection from a family who promise the world and guarantee 'peace', the one thing you're craving more than anything.

I felt more sorrow than anything after watching the film, it's such a pity even in death he couldn't get peace with the funeral home workers looking to get a quick pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

When you look over the TV age, the people who drew the most insanely passionate support were the likes of Elvis, Michael Jackson and Maradona. Elvis, Michael Jackson both died too young. Maradona was probably lucky to live to 60.

It's lucky for people of the Internet age that there are more people to hero worship and there's a new fad every few years.

The closest we have to it now are Indian cricketers. Sachin Tendulkar or Virat Kohli can't just walk down a street or they would be mobbed with police needed for crowd control. They seem to manage it well because of their Conservative culture. Drugs and excess drinking won't be tolerated. But they would live very confined lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

kksaints wrote: »
    Napoli paid a world record fee at the time for Maradona. They went into financial trouble after he left but they weren't necessarily poor financially when he joined them

The point is when people talked of Italian football they talked of Juve, Inter, Milan, hell even Roma and Sampdoria were ahead of the poor dirty unwashed cholera riddled Napoli.
    What foreign players had they before Maradona?

What had they won ?
    Nothing.

In modern terms it would have been like Messi moving around 2010 to the likes of Wigan.

In 1983-84 season before Maradon Napoli finished with 26 points in 11th.
    25 points and wrong goal difference could have meant relegation.
    That;s how bad they were.

First season he moved them to 8th.
    Next season 3rd.
    Next season won the league beating Platini's Juve.
    The team that had won European cup two years before.
    Wasn't there stricter rules on foreign players in the eighties, which would have meant a more even playing field instead of the richest European teams full of the best South American/African players, also hasn't fitness and nuitrition come a lot way since then, in that doc released last year he had a beer gut playing for Napoli, don't know would any player last long in this generation with the habits he had back then.

Seria A had 3 foreign players rule.

You had feck all African players in Europe.
    No Asian I can think of.
    Even South Americans usually stayed at home with only the best ones moving to Europe and usually after showing well in World Cups.

Yeah like all sports it is now about super fitness.
    And it has also why a lot of sport has got boring as shyte.

Just watch the bash bash of modern rugby where players now ultra fit and ultra strong with defenses ala Rugby League.

Watch modern Gaelic football where it is all analysed to shyte and gone are the days of skillful players like Keavney or Corkery because they wouldn't have a body fat index of 0.001 and don't run up and down the pitch all day.

Saying No to Mafia can be bad for ones health.
    Really bad.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

jmayo wrote: »
    The point is when people talked of Italian football they talked of Juve, Inter, Milan, hell even Roma and Sampdoria were ahead of the poor dirty unwashed cholera riddled Napoli.
    What foreign players had they before Maradona?

What had they won ?
    Nothing.

In modern terms it would have been like Messi moving around 2010 to the likes of Wigan.

In 1983-84 season before Maradon Napoli finished with 26 points in 11th.
    25 points and wrong goal difference could have meant relegation.
    That;s how bad they were.

First season he moved them to 8th.
    Next season 3rd.
    Next season won the league beating Platini's Juve.
    The team that had won European cup two years before.

Seria A had 3 foreign players rule.

You had feck all African players in Europe.
    No Asian I can think of.
    Even South Americans usually stayed at home with only the best ones moving to Europe and usually after showing well in World Cups.

Yeah like all sports it is now about super fitness.
    And it has also why a lot of sport has got boring as shyte.

Just watch the bash bash of modern rugby where players now ultra fit and ultra strong with defenses ala Rugby League.

Watch modern Gaelic football where it is all analysed to shyte and gone are the days of skillful players like Keavney or Corkery because they wouldn't have a body fat index of 0.001 and don't run up and down the pitch all day.

Saying No to Mafia can be bad for ones health.
    Really bad.

Very few because foreign players were banned in Serie A between 1966 and 1980. They also had Omar Sivori and Jose Altafini in the 1960s who were regarded as some of the finest players at the time along with Dino Zoff. Ruud Krol played for Napoli between 1980-1984.

Also your point about Roma and Sampdoria is odd. Sampdoria's success came at the same time as Napoli not before plus Roma had only won two Serie A before Maradona's arrival one of which was the season before his arrival. Napoli were underachieving but they weren't complete minnows like a Benevento or a Wigan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

tanko wrote: »
    The Napoli supporters were completely crazy. It's not hard to see why they're going to name their stadium after him.
    The pressure of living there must have been incredible.

Yeah Id say it was suffocating for him when living there, fans always outside your house and then being mobbed everytime he left it to go out. That kind of adulation must be exhausting, I remember years back being in Ballsbridge the night before a Michael Jackson concert and there was about 50 fans outside the Berkley Court hotel shouting up at his bedroom window. What a pain in the ass and then you think he would have got that in every single city he visits. Cant even have a nap in your bed without fans shouting outside your window.
    ERG89 wrote: »
    I don't think you are given a choice to be friends with them, certainly not in Naples.

I would have thought his 5 million transfer fee was at least part funded by the mafia as well. He had no real choice in the matter, aside from not going to go to Napoli at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Naples would be the third or fourth city in Italy. And Napoli sort have the area to themselves with a big stadium. It would probably be like Valencia in Spain or Marseille in France. Or in England Newcastle before Keegan came in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement