Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga 20/21

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Messi hasn't scored a goal or had an assist in the last 6 Classicos.
    Thats very worrying, considering Real have been poor since Ronaldo left.

He wasn't trying a leg in the last 20 minutes yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Pleased to see Sociedad going strong. They're a really fun watch. Imanol doing great with them and I hope they can get Champions League qualification this season.

As regards the Clasico, interest in it seems very low these days. That fixture needs way more star power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Breaking news across a few outlets that Bartomeu resigned

That shoould increase the chance of Messi staying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,885 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The whole board steps down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

That's all well and good but the problems run a lot deeler than that. The team is just nowhere near good enough.

Bartomeu also confirmed that Barca agreed to join a European Super League yesterday.

I wonder will Koeman be the 1st casualty with new regime

Busquets, Dembele and Griezemann would be the first casualties id like to see out the exit door. There are so many problems and players who are either over the hill or just useless since they arrived on silly money. The board leaving changes nothing on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Barca huffed and puffed against 10 men, but still drop another 2 points.

League table doesn't look too good for them.

Well they can't sack the board now anyway because there is none. Maybe they'll fire the tea lady, the masseuse or the the lad that gives out the oranges at ht. Meanwhile the rubbish on the pitch will continue to bleed the club dry while producing a load of crap once again.

Remember when the Barca fans' narrative was that Valverde was holding the club back and they would thrive without him?

default.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

That was some finish to the Valencia game.

A goal in the 94th and 100th minute. Would have been some atmosphere had there been a crowd.

Sociedad looking exciting once again. Nice to see David Silva get a goal. Oyarzabal playing really well and currently tops the scoring charts with 5. His teammate Portu just one behind him. Hope they can sustain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Remember when the Barca fans' narrative was that Valverde was holding the club back and they would thrive without him?

If he was still at the club they'd still not win anything in their current state as he was never, in a million years a top class manager. Unless he has access to a time machine he can't solve their problems as most of the key players at Barca when they won those trophies(as he sure didn't) are over the hill now. Even Messi has been poor, maybe its all down to his very poor attitude but not scoring in open play so far this season is poor going considering how poor La Liga is right now, plus kicking the ball a ref isn't a good look.

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    If he was still at the club they'd still not win anything in their current state as he was never, in a million years a top class manager. Unless he has access to a time machine he can't solve their problems as most of the key players at Barca when they won those trophies(as he sure didn't) are over the hill now. Even Messi has been poor, maybe its all down to his very poor attitude but not scoring in open play so far this season is poor going considering how poor La Liga is right now, plus kicking the ball a ref isn't a good look.

Two La Liga titles and a Copa del Rey is a pretty good feat for any coach. Barca fans can't have it both ways, giving him none of the credit for the silverware, yet making him carry the can for the European disappointments. Not saying he didn't have poor moments, but we've seen through his successors that Valverde was not the scapegoat their fans made him out to be.

As regards Messi, is it really a surprise that their greatest ever player who gave well over a decade of unparalleled service, and who was then prevented from a dignified exit due to legal threats, and who saw his best friend at the club treated like garbage on his way out to boot, doesn't seem to have the attitude of years gone by? Like, what did they expect would happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Short of a piano falling from the sky and landing on him, I don't know how that half could've gone worse for Griezmann. No Messi, his time to shine and he's fluffed chance after chance and missed a penalty. His maligned teammate Dembele has scored a great goal, Braithwaite has been out warming up from the 35 minute mark just to add to the pressure then Betis equalise because he can't score goals. If it wasn't so tragic for him it'd be funny.

Valencia opening Real at will 4-1 with 30 to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭Esse85

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Valencia opening Real at will 4-1 with 30 to go.

They got 4 penalties, is that right?

Had a goal disallowed, missed a penalty and were awarded an own goal.

Unless the live score is making a fool of me.

Esse85 wrote: »
    They got 4 penalties, is that right?

Had a goal disallowed, missed a penalty and were awarded an own goal.

Unless the live score is making a fool of me.

Yes must be a rare occasion for a player to score a hattrick of penalties after missing one

• Advertisement

Three penalties against Real? Must be the first time in history? Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭NCW feen

Can anyone recommend a good podcast on La Liga /Spanish soccer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,706 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

NCW feen wrote:
    Can anyone recommend a good podcast on La Liga /Spanish soccer?

The Spanish football podcast i supposed to be decent, Sid Lowe from the Guardian is one of the main guys on it

Another bad result for Barca tonight, losing 1-0 to Atletico.

Atletico beat Barca in the league for the first time in a decade. Very poor watch and Barca barely put a shift in. Pique got injured which at least spared the world from hearing a bunch of not so thinly veiled excuses after. Griezmann was poor again but Messi wasn't far off him with his showing tonight.

I do wonder why Koeman left a very good Dutch team knowing he would be sacked at the end of the season by Barca and was on a hiding to nothing he might not even make it to the end of the year at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭Ardent

I do wonder why Koeman left a very good Dutch team knowing he would be sacked at the end of the season by Barca and was on a hiding to nothing he might not even make it to the end of the year at this stage.

I guess it was a combination of money and blind ambition.

Pep Guardiola has signed a 2 year extension to his contract at Man City to take him up to June 2023.
    There is an option to leave the club after the first year of the extension if he so chooses.

With this extension it looks increasingly likely Messi will be going to Man City next season and Pep has decided to stay on to faciliate this.

Pep has looked increasinly frustrated at City for the last year.
    He looks like a man who is burnt out .
    I believe he would have walked away in the summer but for Covid and the extended season .

Messi stating his intent to leave Barcelona has changed all of this.

Messi must surely have verbally agreed to join City for Pep to stay on .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I can't imagine there'd be many managers who'd turn down the opportunity and there'd be plenty of managers who'd believe (or want to believe) that they can save Barca. Given his connection with the club, I'm not surprised he jumped at the chance.

As to whether it was a good idea or not, well, it's not looking that way right now. It will be interesting to see what Barca do because they are used to bringing someone in and it working. I still don't think they're addressing the bigger issues at the club and there's only so many managers they can sack and bring in given their financial situation.

Madrid beaten 2-1 at home by Alaves. Anyone watch it? Sounds like they badly missed Benzema and Ramos.

Starting to get optimistic that we might see a different winner from the usual two suspects. I'd take any of the others really but I'd like to see Sociedad do it.

• Advertisement

Madrid beaten 2-1 at home by Alaves. Anyone watch it? Sounds like they badly missed Benzema and Ramos.

Starting to get optimistic that we might see a different winner from the usual two suspects. I'd take any of the others really but I'd like to see Sociedad do it.

I didnt watch it but Courtois made a clanger for the second goal and Hazard went off injured yet again.

Real finding results hard to come by when referees dont bail them out with soft penalties and actually give opponents penalties for a change.
    Real have conceded 5 penalties in their last 3 league games, they conceded 7 in total last season.
    Perez must have forgotten to send this seasons brown envelopes to La Liga.

Great goal on the volley from Griezmann. Such a satisfying sound on the strike.

https://twitter.com/PremierSportsTV/status/1333047514375872512

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Great goal on the volley from Griezmann. Such a satisfying sound on the strike.

https://twitter.com/PremierSportsTV/status/1333047514375872512

League will be a walk in the park for Barca , easy treble for them this season

Barca are their old (bad) selves again tonight. The second Cadiz goal was a total joke, I can't remember the last time Messi gave away the ball as much as he has in this game

Another loss for Barca. Poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Barca manager said this week that they had to win every game until the end of the year.....

Nice weekend for Atletico with Villarreal and Sociedad held to goalless draws. The Madrid derby next week will be massive. If Atletico win that they will be tough to stop.

Eibar's Dmitrovic with one of the best saves I've seen this season.

https://twitter.com/PremierSportsTV/status/1336056643075895299

• Advertisement

Koeman was made fun of by the Juve bench tonight the Spanish papers are going to tear him to shreds tomorrow.

Barcelona hadnt lost a home Champions league tie since 2013 before tonights woeful showing.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Another loss for Barca. Poor.

They threw the game to give a false sense of hope for the others, I reckon he might throw this weekends game too ...

Real 1 up in the derby. I'm not watching it properly as the grating sound of Graham Hunter's voice is making me check the Everton-Chesea game more than I was expecting.

60 mins still 1-0
    Felix off ->
    Niguez on <-

Felix and myself are pissed. Lemar missed a real good chance too.

Moments later Carvajal scores from range to make it 2-0, well it hit the post and then Oblak. Game over I'd imagine.

Thought Benzema was great against Atletico. He's been vital for Madrid in 2020. It's been a very nice week for Zidane with Sociedad and Villarreal held to draws as well.

Barca on the warpath now, I reckon they'll just go and win the remaining 27 games, that puts them on 98 pts.

Championship stuff!!

bookies are throwing money away at the odds they're giving ..

• Advertisement

Barca 2-1 up at half time but its not all positive.

https://twitter.com/andrespgrmcf/status/1339296498677391361?s=19

Ahg just give the league to Barca !!! jaysus ... they win 2 games and all of a sudden they are only a few pts from top.

Christ

Sociedad with 1 win in 5, which isn't title contender form unfortunately. Benzema was great again on Tuesday against Bilbao. I see Zidane called him the best ever French striker, which is some compliment. I still don't think he gets enough recognition. Messi shouldn't have been named a finalist by FIFA for best player over him. Benzema had the better year, and I say that as a big Messi fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Sociedad with 1 win in 5, which isn't title contender form unfortunately. Benzema was great again on Tuesday against Bilbao. I see Zidane called him the best ever French striker, which is some compliment. I still don't think he gets enough recognition. Messi shouldn't have been named a finalist by FIFA for best player over him. Benzema had the better year, and I say that as a big Messi fan.

You are right.

Great volley to earn Valladolid a point at Sevilla. You can see in one of the replays just how precise it was.

https://twitter.com/PremierSportsTV/status/1340414305515302920

Barca held to a 2-2 draw by Valencia. Suarez meanwhile with a brace in Atletico's win over Elche as they extend their lead at the top. They're 8 points clear of Barca with a game in hand. Letting him leave the club for a rival is looking increasingly foolish on Barca's part.

• Advertisement
Advertisement