Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Getting the ball 'first' isn't a thing anymore though, it still looked like he kicked him too. The ref barely looked at the replay and just said he got the ball, which is not how tackles are judged now. He got the ball but kicked Trez too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

listermint wrote: »
    Never touched the ball though. He just kicked him in the shin

I think he did. He clipped the ball with the side of his foot right before he hit Trezs shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Shafted , and most of injury time waisted with sending off and var

Corholio wrote: »
    Getting the ball first isn't a thing anymore though, it still looked like he kicked him too.

Not sure. I'm just going on the fact that the ref, made a ball motion with his hands right after signalling that it wasn't given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

He touched the ball first, no question.

Grealish wasn't himself today, playing 3 games for England the reason no doubt.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

fullstop wrote: »
    What the **** is that? He went down like he was shot but he still clattered him.

Honestly think it might have been how he went down that might have done him as the ref checked it maybe couldn't be sure how strong the contact was from the replay but the fall looked OTT.

certainly seemed to be contact, it was in the box, The brighton lad reacted like he knew he'd effd up, so I am surprised that wasn't given.

Some very tired legs today from the likes of Grealish and Luiz who really are key players but that's typical Villa to lose against Brighton after beating Arsenal 3-0.
    Hope Barkley isn't out for long as it leaves us really not having anything outside our starting 11 that you'd (and I suspect Dean) have confidence in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭Patser

Ball may have glanced off his foot, but he did not have any control of it, Trez had ball in front of him and was kicked in shin (then made a meal of it). Can't see how just because he barely tip a ball it lets you off with tripping a player after

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Panrich

From Trezeguets point of view there, he played the ball, and then when going to follow up he got tripped. It shouldn't matter what the defender did in the meantime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

The VAR / peno incident aside that was disappointing.

We don't seem to learn our lessons defensively. Can set up well versus the top teams but against teams we mayne feel we are better than, we are set up badly. Too cocky imo from players and management.

Today also shows how thin the squad is. Barkley going off early was a blow but the subs aren't near the level of the lads in the first 11.

Disappointing result. I hope Smith can get the balance right going forward.

• Advertisement

Patser wrote: »
    Ball may have glanced off his foot, but he did not have any control of it, Trez had ball in front of him and was kicked in shin (then made a meal of it). Can't see how just because he barely tip a ball it lets you off with tripping a player after

If you get the ball then getting the player after is collateral damage, like a tackle in the middle of the field. I don't have an issue with the decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,552 ✭✭✭✭CSF

No idea how that is deemed a clear and obvious error.

JPA wrote: »
    If you get the ball then getting the player after is collateral damage, like a tackle in the middle of the field. I don't have an issue with the decision.

But Trez had played the ball first. It's not the same. The defender dived in to stop Trez getting a second touch.

Panrich wrote: »
    But Trez had played the ball first. It's not the same. The defender dived in to stop Trez getting a second touch.

The fact that we have to talk about it in that level of detail at all, means it’s not a clear and obvious error.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

CSF wrote: »
    No idea how that is deemed a clear and obvious error.

I might be wrong but I think the clear and obvious thing is if VAR overrule the ref. Here they just suggested he had a look for himself and I guess he decided he was wrong. I don't think he was, but didn't have a perfect view on the replay and Trez exaggerated it which is more obvious on a replay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I don’t get the shouts for a peno, he attempts a tackle and gets a nick on the ball. There is inevitable contact with trez but that is allowed. If that’s a peno, how is any slide tackle allowed as there’ll always be contact with the player on some level?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Lots of positives as far as I'm concerned. Should have won that match regardless of the penalty decision.

Agree that lessons need to be learned, getting done by teams who are happy enough to get numbers in defence and go for the long ball. We're playing from the back and it's all fine and well but the build up against more defensive teams is too slow to be effective.

For me Leeds was always going to be a tough game and they played perfectly against us. Brighton though, they're decent and worked hard by Villa are clearly the better team and really should have taken the 3 points here. If we can perform against other mid table teams then we might well be top 6 material.

I'm not sure, the ball was in front of Trez and to Villa's advantage, it had gone behind Marsh. To say it's ok to now trip a player going towards ball just because it barely tipped you, seems strange

I might be wrong but I think the clear and obvious thing is if VAR overrule the ref. Here they just suggested he had a look for himself and I guess he decided he was wrong. I don't think he was, but didn't have a perfect view on the replay and Trez exaggerated it which is more obvious on a replay.

I think you are wrong on this, but I haven’t read the rules in enough depth to say it with certainty.

They had videos released when VAR came out, talking about how the standards required for a decision to be reversed would be high, never heard a mention of it being different if the ref goes to look at it himself. That’s what happened of course, but that appears to be Oliver making the rules up as he goes along, and deciding to re-referee the game instead of following the standards.

Look at the standards required for them to turn a non-penalty call into a penalty. It has to be a stonewaller. They don’t reverse non-penalty calls for ones that ‘probably were penalties’. Why have they done that here for the reverse?

Easy Rod wrote: »
    I don’t get the shouts for a peno, he attempts a tackle and gets a nick on the ball. There is inevitable contact with trez but that is allowed. If that’s a peno, how is any slide tackle allowed as there’ll always be contact with the player on some level?

The difference with the sliding tackle scenario is that usually the ball is gone in the tackle. Based on the minimal contact on the ball by March, the ball would have still been there for Trez without the trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The getting the ball first thing isn't anywhere near like what it was. Tipping the ball away and catching the player is a foul now. There's been plenty of sliding tackles given as frees when the ball has been got first, a lot aren't too because the winning of the ball and collision with a player happens in the same momentum. March tipped the ball away and his leg kicked Trez after.

I think regardless of the penalty there was a funny malaise about the team, maybe internationals or just maybe an off day. Fine margins though, if Trez could kick the ball low in any way he scores 2 at least, he's a bit reckless in his control of shots a lot of the time. Defence was caught out too much as well, individually too, Konsa positioning is poor for the first goal.

Strange season continues to be strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

The difference with the sliding tackle scenario is that usually the ball is gone in the tackle. Based on the minimal contact on the ball by March, the ball would have still been there for Trez without the trip.

I don’t like the road that leads you down.

You should watch it again. The ball goes to the side of Trezeguet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

I thought we had some good passages of play but ultimately lost because we didn’t take our chances. Trez played well but he’s got to more clinical in front of goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

I'd love to know if Smith is happy with Watkins positioning. He drifts out left way too much but I can't tell if it's unconscious or tactical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I'd love to know if Smith is happy with Watkins positioning. He drifts out left way too much but I can't tell if it's unconscious or tactical

I think it's unconsciousness. We have Targett and Grealish down that side, makes no sense for Watkins to be out there too. Comes with not being a natural striker.
    Watkins doesn't get into the game enough.

Wasn't surprised to see sloppy Mings being casual AF. First goal was criminal defending.

Gollini in goal for Atalanta at Anfield in the champions league tonight, currently 2 up.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Gollini in goal for Atalanta at Anfield in the champions league tonight, currently 2 up.

He probably should never had made the move to Villa, dropped into the championship, fairly difficult situation.

Amavi very established at left back for Marseille, also in the CL tonight. Jordan Veretout playing great for Roma in serie A as well. Gueye a regular for PSG.

There was somebody capable of spotting talent at the club, it just disappeared when they joined!

He probably should never had made the move to Villa, dropped into the championship, fairly difficult situation.

Amavi very established at left back for Marseille, also in the CL tonight. Jordan Veretout playing great for Roma in serie A as well. Gueye a regular for PSG.

There was somebody capable of spotting talent at the club, it just disappeared when they joined!

Traore and Ayew weren't bad either.

It's amazing how many of those players have went on to become full internationals and play for top clubs.
    Being dropped into the championship at a young age and being expected to gel straight away was too much but some real talent there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Traore and Ayew weren't bad either.

It's amazing how many of those players have went on to become full internationals and play for top clubs.
    Being dropped into the championship at a young age and being expected to gel straight away was too much but some real talent there.

Those were all signings in our last year in the PL except Gollini.

I think we probably all saw little bits of what they could do but if they'd have had a season or 2 together we'd have been CL by now.

There was a lot of duds though. Richards and Lescott were woeful and if you don't have 2 centre backs that are at least somewhat decent your on a 179 degree uphill from the start.

Ayew wouldnt be my cup of tea either. He has never scored decent numbers.

I know what Paddy O'Reilly was trying to do but it was clearly too big a leap and being too early is the same as being wrong. That would be some great names to have on a CV though.

It was too many inexperienced players brought in together without having a spine of a team already there. I think Lescott / Richards were supposed to bring the experience and we saw how that worked out.

• Advertisement

Terry odds on with the bookies for the Derby job now. Could be nothing to be fair.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I don't like John Terry as a human being so I would not be sad to see him go.

You'll be glad to know Hourihane is starting.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Huge game for him.

Liverpool at VP in the cup.

Chronic defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Gonna be a struggle at set pieces. They have 3 big CB, 2 big MF and Antonio.

We only have Mings and maybe Konsa who could compete in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

This is going to be a tough watch.

Absolutely infuriating defending, seems to be a pattern in the goals we concede, so bloody cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Jack!

Deflection has been by far our best player this year.

Oooohhh that's nice

Edit : ok deflection made it nice

Always hate playing West Ham and Burnley - because subconsciously I end up looking at the claret and blue players no matter how much I remind myself not to

Soo close Watkins

Heard commentator say it was Hourihane's 150th Villa appearance - for roughly £3 million he has proved to be an absolute bargain, key at times in Championship, able to contribute something in PL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Ming’s trying a Cruyff turn on the edge of his own box, Christ!!

• Advertisement

Need to see more from McGinn.

WTF was Mings doing at the end of the half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Mings is a clown and a walking liability in this side.

The way we try and defend set pieces is just totally amateurish and its gone on now for far too long. Its just a complete and utter joke, the same as it was against Southampton where we had 5 foot 6 McGinn mark their 6 foot 7 center back who scored.

Playing so well since then, but the fact that still we cannot set up to defend corners, a basic basic aspect of football makes me so angry that i can't enjoy it as when they get another corner they will probably score again.

Dean Smith needs to start being asked serious questions about this. Who is organizing this? Its like they just have met 5 minutes before the game started and when the corners come they just make it up as they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Need to see more from McGinn.

Trezeguet and Watkins also need to get more involved

50 seconds is all they took....ffs. Loads of defencers back, another easy header

Edit: We're just so weak in defence, and good going forward. Sort out defence and we reallty good go places

Benrahma assist, the ****ing irony.

• Advertisement
Advertisement