Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Who are potential replacements?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

tanko wrote: »

That’s a good question and worrying difficult to answer in the circumstances. Whoever it is needs to have an instant impact in order to save the season.

The whole coaching staff needs a rebuild. I believe the squad is more than talented enough if organised and coached properly.

I will not be joining in on the hatred for Lenny. He’s delivered us Celtic fans so many good times as a player and manager and this will all be hurting him more than anyone. The @rseholes running the club need to earn their wages on this one. Make the necessary decisions and get the right man for the job in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Didn't get to see the game again but looks like this result will be the end for Lennon. Would've be the icing on the cake to win the 10 with him in charge but a change is needed now, this season has been disastrous.

No idea who we can get in but I'd like to see someone with a modern approach to coaching & preparation similar to what we had with Delia & Rodgers even if results under Delia weren't great.

I'm expecting the board have sat on their hands for the last few months instead of preparing for this so can see us going for MON & Keane until the end of the season

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

That’s a good question and worrying difficult to answer in the circumstances. Whoever it is needs to have an instant impact in order to save the season.

The whole coaching staff needs a rebuild. I believe the squad is more than talented enough if organised and coached properly.

I will not be joining in on the hatred for Lenny. He’s delivered us Celtic fans so many good times as a player and manager and this will all be hurting him more than anyone. The @rseholes running the club need to earn their wages on this one. Make the necessary decisions and get the right man for the job in.

I don't think there's much hate for Lenny, not at all from me anyway. But I suspect all is not well with him personally, and that is affecting the team. The club is bigger than any individual to use that corny expression and tonight just confirmed that his time is up in my opinion. Mowbray was sacked for less let's not forget.

As for his replacement, who knows. Has to be plenty interested from European sides that would be worth a punt. Lots of sides with a lot less resources than us out there, and we have a good squad of players overall, recent results aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Has he done a post game press yet? Be great to hear him blame everyone but himself one last time

• Advertisement

Ah. It's just luck. Things aren't dropping for us at the minute. You'd swear we got robbed of a result tonight. Excellent first half and excellent for 35 mins of second half?

https://twitter.com/VMSportIE/status/1332065330269720579?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,017 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

RoryMac wrote: »
    Didn't get to see the game again but looks like this result will be the end for Lennon. Would've be the icing on the cake to win the 10 with him in charge but a change is needed now, this season has been disastrous.

No idea who we can get in but I'd like to see someone with a modern approach to coaching & preparation similar to what we had with Delia & Rodgers even if results under Delia weren't great.

I'm expecting the board have sat on their hands for the last few months instead of preparing for this so can see us going for MON & Keane until the end of the season

One man who’s recently out of a job and would be a good choice as a modern forward thinking and progressive manager is David Wagner. Had a rough time with Schalke, but was fantastic with Huddersfield. Might be a good match.

He’ll not be out of work for long either Id say, would be an obvious choice for any aspiring championship club, or struggling Premier League club after what he did getting Huddersfield promoted, and then keeping them up on a fraction of any other teams budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I don't even know what to say anymore. What a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

tanko wrote: »

In my opinion it must be a Celtic man who knows what it means to the club and the fans to do the 10. We could do a lot worse than John Kennedy stepping up.

In my opinion it must be a Celtic man who knows what it means to the club and the fans to do the 10. We could do a lot worse than John Kennedy stepping up.

I'd completely disagree, I don't care if the new manager is a 'Celtic man' or if he's never heard of Celtic once he's capable of getting the team playing and developing the players.

Can't see the fans accepting someone like Kennedy with no experience at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Surely Kennedy is not the answer considering he is assistant manager, an ex-defender and Celtic have an appalling defensive record

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Lads I'm pretty sure that poster with the Kennedy suggestion is being facetious.... the "Celtic man" reference gives it away.

Well looks like the board are sticking with him for now. Dreaded vote of confidence maybe but he needs to go immediately after the game on Sunday

https://twitter.com/RonnieEsplin/status/1332329687662665736?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    One man who’s recently out of a job and would be a good choice as a modern forward thinking and progressive manager is David Wagner. Had a rough time with Schalke, but was fantastic with Huddersfield. Might be a good match.

He’ll not be out of work for long either Id say, would be an obvious choice for any aspiring championship club, or struggling Premier League club after what he did getting Huddersfield promoted, and then keeping them up on a fraction of any other teams budget.

Considering you need someone to come in and sort out your defensive issues I cannot think of a worse appointment than David Wagner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Kingdom Bhoy

https://celticfanzine.com/bhoycott-debenhams/

Some interesting views on Lenny Lawwell the Debenhams Ireland dispute Bloody Sunday Maradona etc.

Team for today; Barkas, Elhamed, Laxalt, Jullien, Ajer, Bitton, Brown, Christie, Rogic, Edouard, Ajeti.

Subs: Bain, Taylor, Duffy, Klimala, Ntcham, Elyounoussi, McGregor, Henderson, Ralston.

Scott Brown starting yet another game where Lenny could take an opportunity to rest him. Happy to see Rogic and Elhamed start and looks like Ajeti will get a chance to show what he can do partnering Eddy. Big day for Barkas also.

Anything other than a dominant win today will surely see Lenny out the door.

Good to see Édouard & Ajeti up front together and Barkas back in goal.

Jaysus.

FFS, how unlucky for Ajeti

Struggling against Ross County. It's going to be a long second half.

Lennon is gone if we lose this. Really feel for him but it's not working and hasn't been for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭polarbearhead

PauloMN wrote: »
    Struggling against Ross County. It's going to be a long second half.

Lennon is gone if we lose this. Really feel for him but it's not working and hasn't been for a while.

Even if we win this he should go. Its over

No fcuking about now, Lennon has to go immediately after the game

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭polarbearhead

Jesus wept

And that's that. Bunch of statues at the back. Laughable and pathetic at the same time.

He absolutely has to go, even if not sacked.

I will take going out of the league cup if it means changes to our managerial and coaching team

And that's that. Bunch of statues at the back. Laughable and pathetic at the same time.

He absolutely has to go, even if not sacked.

He must know himself this isn't going change with him in charge. He should do the right thing himself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

I will take going out of the league cup if it means changes to our managerial and coaching team

100% this. A small price to pay.

He must know himself this isn't going change with him in charge. He should do the right thing himself

Agreed. I'd be on the cautious side when it comes to calling for a managers head, but last Thursday and today have decided it for me.

I don't think I've seen worse football ever from a Celtic side. Unfortunately I don't see any way back in the league either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

So, who do we get in to replace him?

Give it to Kennedy until the end of the season? Or will he be gone too?

• Advertisement

Agreed. I'd be on the cautious side when it comes to calling for a managers head, but last Thursday and today have decided it for me.

I don't think I've seen worse football ever from a Celtic side. Unfortunately I don't see any way back in the league either.

Yeah it's clear the players have given up on him so every game he stays takes us further away from turning this around.

The league is going to be very hard to turn around but if we win our 2 games in hand it's back on.

I think we'll go for a short term appointment and at this stage don't care who we get in, anything is an improvement on our current form

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Eddie Howe has to be no.1 target but I’d take anyone till end of season MON/Strachan/Big Mick/Di Canio/Wagner

"We just lacked that cutting edge today."

Sorry Neil, can hear that once, twice, three times a season. But not after every single game.

"We just lacked that cutting edge today."

Sorry Neil, can hear that once, twice, three times a season. But not after every single game.

“There’s no bad feeling around the place. We need to collectively change things around. It’s penalties and set plays that are costing us. We may have to look at how we set up to defend them. You live and die by set plays. Diff times now I can’t go apoplectic with the team”.

He's absolutely deluded

"Barkas had nothing to do, we peppered their goal."

Celtic had 4 shots on target, Ross County had 6.

This is turning farcical now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Ross County...... hes deluded and really needs to go! Too many important players look lost. Eddie Howe is a good shout but he's been pretty poor in the transfer market but at least plays a decent brand of football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

His position is completely untenable now. Surely he and the club can see that at this stage. I'd be amazed if there isn't an announcement soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Eddie Howe has to be no.1 target but I’d take anyone till end of season MON/Strachan/Big Mick/Di Canio/Wagner

Who ever comes in will probably get a bounce especially if the dressing room has been lost, which all the evidence would suggest it has been.

But long term Eddie Howe is defensively naive and that's a very nice way to put it.

As long as Roy Keane has nothing to do with it, I don't really mind who it is.

henke wrote: »
    His position is completely untenable now. Surely he and the club can see that at this stage. I'd be amazed if there isn't an announcement soon.

Fans gathering outside the ground now according to twitter, as you said his position is untenable.

Have to say it's a pity it's ending this way for him, he'll be feeling this more than most but there's no way he's turning this around

Pogue eile wrote: »

+1000000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Who ever comes in will probably get a bounce especially if the dressing room has been lost, which all the evidence would suggest it has been.

But long term Eddie Howe is defensively naive and that's a very nice way to put it.

I'm not sure about Howe either. I know he took Bournemouth up through the leagues but they were backed and ultimal got relegated from the PL with a terrible defensive. Yeah I don't think any club would be stupid enough to appoint Roy Keane. He wouldn't be long falling out with the players.

• Advertisement

Fans gathering outside the ground now according to twitter, as you said his position is untenable.

Have to say it's a pity it's ending this way for him, he'll be feeling this more than most but there's no way he's turning this around

Sad end to his Celtic career- that was Lenny’s John Barnes’ Caley Thistle moment today.

He’s clearly lost the dressing room. Some of the lads looked like they were trying to get him sacked today.

Large crowd outside Celtic Park. The board will get the message. Four home defeats in a row is a sackable offense at any club but at Celtic it is unforgivable.

I wish him all the best and thank him for everything he’s done for us as a player, a coach and as a manager but time is up. Back to being a fan for Lenny.

Last time Celtic lost 4 home games in a row was 1958.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭adaminho

Can I ask what Celtic fan's want? Europa league is gone and 10 in a row is also gone barring a miracle! Is it a change in style or a continuation of what's worked all along?

adaminho wrote: »
    Can I ask what Celtic fan's want? Europa league is gone and 10 in a row is also gone barring a miracle! Is it a change in style or a continuation of what's worked all along?

Defensive competence and a challenge for the league this year tyvm

adaminho wrote: »

I don't think it needs a miracle to win 10 but it needs an immediate turnaround, win our 2 games in hand and get the better of the Derby games is enough. But the margin of error is tiny now, we need to hit the ground running.

I don't think style is the issue, for me and I know some won't agree but Lennon appointment was a change from the direction we were going in. Delia & Rodgers were managers who focused on preparation for games and gave a huge amount of importance to sports science and diet etc. Lennon for me is more of a motivator and I think the players fitness has slipped badly under him.

So to answer your question I'd like to see a manager to get us back to that approach although I think we'll probably see a stop gap manager come in to the end of the season

Very apt from the Green Brigade last year

Eo-AMCSe-WMAA2a-VR.jpg

https://twitter.com/Record_Sport/status/1164613824734908416

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭adaminho

Defensive competence and a challenge for the league this year tyvm

Can I ask what when wrong? Is it a case of the players downing tools? It's basically the same squad Duffy.

Celtic have been appalling defensively for quite a while. What covered the cracks has been the scoring and the previous collapse of The Rangers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Statement condoning protests just released

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Statement condoning protests just released

Condemned surely?

The scenes I saw on Twitter are disgraceful.

Saying that - I expect the manager to go, he’s been given a fair chance to turn around the bad form and it’s worsened. All that’s left to do is wrangle over money.

Attention turns to who can be got and can they turn it around.
    I think the players are there to make a serious effort of getting back into the title race - but the changes need to happen now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement