Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will you rejoin your club for next year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tommo 76

Now that it’s the time of year that members subs are being rolled out for next year, do any of your clubs have any incentives or doing anything for their members to rejoin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Tommo 76 wrote: »
    Now that it’s the time of year that members subs are being rolled out for next year, do any of your clubs have any incentives or doing anything for their members to rejoin?

Does "Rejoin this year or we won't be here next year" count as an incentive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Tommo 76 wrote: »

I’m not sure why they have to? Demand is through the roof for golf and people looking to join clubs even during the lockdown this winter. clubs with a good product and location will not be interested in doing deals for new members and anyone leaving will be quickly replace.

I’m wondering when clubs will start to bring back entrance fees!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Elmgreen are offering 13months for 12 in 2021 for anyone who keeps their sub through all of this.

Only for current members.

They've also stopped taking new members, will be one out -one in and no societies and reduced visitors thru winter

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Tescosfinest

Castleknock are giving a "free" extra month onto existing members next year. They have also added a €500 joining fee for new members

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Loyalty works both ways so I would hope that clubs do offer something a bit extra to members that continue to pay the membership fees throughout the pandemic. No way would I give it up and its important to have something to look forward to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Our place has 140 new members this year so there's no fear of them disappearing.

Bit like car insurance it pays to shop around, best deals are usually only for newcomers.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,068 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Bit like car insurance it pays to shop around, best deals are usually only for newcomers.

Oh man you are the type of member a proper club doesn’t want. This is why all clubs should have some sort of joining fee as it weans out the deal hunters and the course hoppers.

No matter how you try and sugar coat it, there is no way in the world anyone can compare shopping around for car insurance to being part of a club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Here come the golf snobs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Seve OB wrote: »
    Oh man you are the type of member a proper club doesn’t want. This is why all clubs should have some sort of joining fee as it weans out the deal hunters and the course hoppers.

No matter how you try and sugar coat it, there is no way in the world anyone can compare shopping around for car insurance to being part of a club.

Well I've no loyalty to any club, they charge enough so I'll always look to get the best deal on the best course. I'm lucky in that I've probably 8 courses within 20 minutes. I'm a member of a course that I live beside, it's a good club but the course is mediocre so I'd have no problem moving to a better course if the deal is right.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Well someone just did Seve.

I completely see the value in a club, the ethos, the camaraderie, interclub teams, seeing the same faces every weekend, and investing your time and effort in to something that gives back. The two way loyalty. That’s all great.

But don’t vilify the guy (or gal) who wants the best deal. Some people don’t value any of the above (or whatever you value over and above the simple transaction of swapping money for a service), they simply want to play golf, on a nice golf course, play competitions and win prizes and get their handicap down and go home. Every type of member has their value to a club, even if you don’t think the club hopper has value, I guarantee they do to the coin counters in a club.

I personally am somewhere in between. I’d love a situation where I could invest the time in a club, try get into some of the club teams, spend lots of time there practicing and getting to know people but it’s not realistic. I have a young family and a very busy job, and wherever offers me the best deal weighing up the price/course/location matrix of options is all I care about right now. Hopefully that’ll change someday but it might not either, and I couldn’t care less if the club jumper brigade don’t appreciate me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

I'm not particularly happy with how my club have managed the new members situation. They had taken around 40-50 from a nearby club that closed at the beginning of the year and speaking with the handicap secretary, had another 50 join due to Covid. The timesheet has always been busy and I've accepted and managed that in the years I've been a member. The issue is that they are dictating that we cannot play twice on a weekend in order to allow all members a chance to play. My issue is that pre-Covid and a busy timesheet, this was never a problem. I work long hours and do not have much opportunity, if any, to play mid week golf, especially in winter months. With talk that subs are due to increase next year and they intend to continue imposing a limit of one game per weekend, I'm looking for a club elsewhere as are a large cohort of long standing members, many of which form the core of our interclub teams.

This is the post I thought was a kinsale member?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

The talk about loyalty and "real clubs" is so frustrating. It is 2020 now and not all people think this way anymore. It is not fair to look down on someone who wants to get the best value for money and doesn't care about being part of a "real club". There is also still many that do and that's cool too.

I have to say I am surprised how well Carr golf have handled things in Castleknock with the free extra month and stoping weekend societies for the foreseeable. They get a lot of criticism but have done well here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

eoghan104 wrote: »
    The talk about loyalty and "real clubs" is so frustrating. It is 2020 now and not all people think this way anymore. It is not fair to look down on someone who wants to get the best value for money and doesn't care about being part of a "real club". There is also still many that do and that's cool too.

I have to say I am surprised how well Carr golf have handled things in Castleknock with the free extra month and stoping weekend societies for the foreseeable. They get a lot of criticism but have done well here.

credit where it is due, I am happy enough with this (im in corballis). my only concern now is it being so far away - should we enter any further no travel restricitions in the future I cannot golf. It has thought me there is added value in being a member in a club nearest me. So while it may be more expensive i will get more use out of it should i be locked down to even 20kms or 5kms from the house. The nearest club to me is Carton House. a) cant afford it at the moment (which is fine as i am a member elsewhere) b) dont know how difficult it is to get into and c) the missus would kill me handing over large money but I see the value.........think that will work or is more investigation required? hahaha

The talk about loyalty and "real clubs" is so frustrating. It is 2020 now and not all people think this way anymore.

But you cant treat it like a service and then also complain that they are not loyal to you.
    If you treat them like a business then you have to expect them to treat you like a commodity in return. They are going to pack the course to extract as much cash as possible for as little expense as possible, they only care about you in so far as it impacts their bottom line.
    A members club doesnt care about the bottom line, they dont exist to make money as there is no one who actually gets any money, the club makes money for itself.

From reading multiple threads on here over the last few years it seems that many people want the membership feel but also the best deal around. It just doesnt work that way I'm afraid.

GreeBo wrote: »
    But you cant treat it like a service and then also complain that they are not loyal to you.
    If you treat them like a business then you have to expect them to treat you like a commodity in return. They are going to pack the course to extract as much cash as possible for as little expense as possible, they only care about you in so far as it impacts their bottom line.
    A members club doesnt care about the bottom line, they dont exist to make money as there is no one who actually gets any money, the club makes money for itself.

From reading multiple threads on here over the last few years it seems that many people want the membership feel but also the best deal around. It just doesnt work that way I'm afraid.
    Yeah I agree it works both ways and I assumed that to be understood.

In my example I left Bray GC which is the perfect example of a "real club" due to moving away. I miss the club aspect and all that goes with it. I have now joined Castleknock because the flexible membership is great value. They owe me nothing though, if they decided to double the fees I would just walk away and say good luck to them and can't complain.

I don't think too many are complaining about clubs not being loyal to members and that's why they might leave, they are simply weighing up the cost of the fees compared to how much they will pay and that's all that matters. I think that is a fine attitude to have and is more common these days.

Have to disagree with you. As some here might not be aware the sub in Castleknock (and I think most other Carr associated clubs) is not on a calendar basis, but is a year from your joining date, so a lot of subs come due for renewal every month in the year. I know questions were asked by many members, including myself during the first lockdown. I asked at least 3 times and never received an answer and I know others were the same. Whispers went around that they were making no concessions (which they weren't at the time) but they wouldn't answer the questions and made no announcement to the members.

Yes they have finally addressed the issue (6 months to late if you ask me) and an email has been sent and it is good they are offering the extra month, but that is only for subs renewed next year. It is the current year which has been discommoded with the lockdowns and it is the current subscription which should be extended. So if your renewal falls due between now and the end of 2020, you will just get 12 months and it is only when you renew in December 2021 that you will get your extra month applied. I renewed just before we were locked out and I don't believe I will qualify for an extension.

The no societies and more member times at weekend is something which needed to be addressed years ago, long before the influx of all the new members this year so again a welcome but late resolution. And locked out of golf over the 2 periods equates to about 12 weeks or 3 months if I'm not mistaken, so a month is nothing more than a pitiful gesture.

Rant over :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Tescosfinest

Have to disagree with you. As some here might not be aware the sub in Castleknock (and I think most other Carr associated clubs) is not on a calendar basis, but is a year from your joining date, so a lot of subs come due for renewal every month in the year. I know questions were asked by many members, including myself during the first lockdown. I asked at least 3 times and never received an answer and I know others were the same. Whispers went around that they were making no concessions (which they weren't at the time) but they wouldn't answer the questions and made no announcement to the members.

Yes they have finally addressed the issue (6 months to late if you ask me) and an email has been sent and it is good they are offering the extra month, but that is only for subs renewed next year. It is the current year which has been discommoded with the lockdowns and it is the current subscription which should be extended. So if your renewal falls due between now and the end of 2020, you will just get 12 months and it is only when you renew in December 2021 that you will get your extra month applied. I renewed just before we were locked out and I don't believe I will qualify for an extension.

The no societies and more member times at weekend is something which needed to be addressed years ago, long before the influx of all the new members this year so again a welcome but late resolution. And locked out of golf over the 2 periods equates to about 12 weeks or 3 months if I'm not mistaken, so a month is nothing more than a pitiful gesture.

Rant over :D

Only rejoined a couple of months ago myself :(

So it's no societies until March, I can't imagine there would be many societies up to March anyway, the fun and games will begin then, having a thousand members and Saturday comps that end at 11:30am is some joke

Well Seve above is a perfect example of how you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. It's a great gesture yet you still are not happy. I would imagine most clubs are not offering free membership for all the time we were locked out through no fault of the clubs.

Tesco, you knew the lay of the land with comps before you rejoined so why is it now "a joke"? Why did you rejoin? Honest question. If you don't like it go somewhere else, there is people waiting to happily take your place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

When a club offers a 'free month' to existing members, what does that even mean?

They take the amount of one month off the total amount (eg €80) or they give you 13 months worth?

If the latter, would you just end up paying full fee the next year anyway, so an extra month etc isn't really an incentive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

callaway92 wrote: »
    When a club offers a 'free month' to existing members, what does that even mean?

They take the amount of one month off the total amount (eg €80) or they give you 13 months worth?

If the latter, would you just end up paying full fee the next year anyway, so an extra month etc isn't really an incentive.

hardly that complex, the membership runs from joining date to the next year, so 12 months

now it goes for 13 months instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Well Seve above is a perfect example of how you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. It's a great gesture yet you still are not happy. I would imagine most clubs are not offering free membership for all the time we were locked out through no fault of the clubs.

Tesco, you knew the lay of the land with comps before you rejoined so why is it now "a joke"? Why did you rejoin? Honest question. If you don't like it go somewhere else, there is people waiting to happily take your place.

There has also been an increase on flexi members greenfee by a euro, which equates to one less round of golf if you break down the credits.

Robbing peter to pay paul comes to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

hardly that complex, the membership runs from joining date to the next year, so 12 months

now it goes for 13 months instead

Most clubs don't operate like that as far as I know. its usually to the end of the year. I remember joining up to a course in April as a country member and then been asked for my membership for the next year in September!

etxp wrote: »
    Most clubs don't operate like that as far as I know. its usually to the end of the year. I remember joining up to a course in April as a country member and then been asked for my membership for the next year in September!

Yeh my club is Jan to Jan so my questioning was along those lines.

There has also been an increase on flexi members greenfee by a euro, which equates to one less round of golf if you break down the credits.

Robbing peter to pay paul comes to mind.
    Yeah I saw that was put in! Still great value in my opinion. I'm surprised it is still so cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Yeah I saw that was put in! Still great value in my opinion. I'm surprised it is still so cheap.

Not saying its bad value, its more the fact that it was put in alongside the news of extra months to soften the message.

So while its good to hear about additional members times and the extra month its reasonable aswell to allow people to analyze the parameters and give feedback.

Nothing is ever free when you look close enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

So I asked the question back in October when people were CONFIDENT that golf would get back to normal at start of this year, so knowing now that the future is uncertain, I ask will you be renewing your membership under the present uncertainty.. FTR I've paid up for 2021

My club has offered members that pay up-front before 28th Feb will receive an 8.5% discount and will also receive 4 x Five Day complimentary Green Fees (valued at €100) ...which is wrong because Mon-Thurs Green Fees are still just €20 in high season and lower than that in low season

The incentives are cool but I'm still not budging tbh until the last-minute here not knowing what's gonna happen with Golf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

i will be keeping up my monthly DD

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

It sounds like there is waiting lists in all golf courses now so if you don't pay up and leave someone will take your place, golf is soo popular now, friends of mine who have never swung a golf club in their lives are looking to take it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,260 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I’m paid up already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Harpon

Stacksey wrote: »
    It sounds like there is waiting lists in all golf courses now so if you don't pay up and leave someone will take your place, golf is soo popular now, friends of mine who have never swung a golf club in their lives are looking to take it up.

People took it up because it was the only sport you could play at one point last year. Now it’s banned just like everything else, there’s not a chance there will be a similar level of membership this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    So I asked the question back in October when people were CONFIDENT that golf would get back to normal at start of this year, so knowing now that the future is uncertain, I ask will you be renewing your membership under the present uncertainty.. FTR I've paid up for 2021

Yes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Undecided

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Arnold54321

Know quite a few who can’t justify membership fees at nearly €2,000 and are taking a leave of absence for this year. Golf may not recommence till April so paying over an amount of lets say €1,500 till the weather turns in November doesn’t represent good value. I’d say a fair few clubs are sweating, new members will join but a cohort of established members may skip a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I'd still payup even if there was a zombie apocalypse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Interesting question.

I guess it is a fairly personal thing. Depends on type of club you are in , your financial situation. Covid is an extremely unfair and random. Some people have not been impacted much at all. Others - nightmare stuff.

I think people who have not been impacted at all should pay up , no even questions. Particularly for ones in life clubs/ family clubs.

I think when you are in the right club and a great club. You don't even consider the fee as a cost at all. Hard to describe, but It is more in line with your mortgage / pension / a charitable contribution.

One thing I would have issue with, was the restricted time sheet . I'm fine with whatever the gui come up with. But the club were also adding additional restrictions like . Not adjusting for daylight/ ending play too early , not making certain days available for all members when free , enabling excessive play by individuals. The timesheets were unfair and a mess to be honest.

But . Overall, I'm happy and very lucky to be able to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭kyleman

Rikand wrote: »

As Rikand says I would do the same.
    Love my club which had a heavy debt and the future locked bleak for a while so will happily pay my full subscription even if its a very shortened year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

As long as I still have my job and can afford to pay the subs then I will do so. If I did have to stop paying due to financial reasons I would explain my situation to them in the hope I could rejoin when I could afford it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Moved club last September. Will stay there for foreseeable future.its quite a step down in quality but was never gonna get the value out of staying at my previous club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

Will be paying my subs this month, yep it could be march before we play but there's a great bunch of people working on the committee to keep the club going which is working hard to service a long term debt, there were a load of new members brought in last year on an offer which I've no problem with, everyone gets a good deal when joining, those folks got a great one but it's what was needed to keep the club going during this crisis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

As long as I still have my job and can afford to pay the subs then I will do so. If I did have to stop paying due to financial reasons I would explain my situation to them in the hope I could rejoin when I could afford it again.

This

My Dad is in his 70s and will continue to rejoin. Reasonable fee in his club and the social interaction was priceless for the times in 2020 that he could get out with his friends there.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 1 of 7

Yes, Will rejoin this year. It is my third different club over my life due to house/work moves and I am very happy in it.

Rikand wrote: »

this is quite easy to say when you are in a country club that charges a few hundred per year.

would you pay a couple of grand in the zombie apocalypse?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Unlikely.
    Last year was a write off. Club was partially closed due to works even when covid allowed.
    Dont really care about a handicap or competitions

Think i will save the cash and play a few times and travel to other courses to play instead.

this is quite easy to say when you are in a country club that charges a few hundred per year.

would you pay a couple of grand in the zombie apocalypse?

If there was a plan to address said apocalypse then yes, otherwise no.

GreeBo wrote: »
    If there was a plan to address said apocalypse then yes, otherwise no.

And if you have had your income decimated over the last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

carq wrote: »
    Unlikely.
    Last year was a write off. Club was partially closed due to works even when covid allowed.
    Dont really care about a handicap or competitions

Think i will save the cash and play a few times and travel to other courses to play instead.

You could do worse than join The Boards Golf Society, check out list of courses for 2021 in another thread

• Advertisement

And if you have had your income decimated over the last year?

I don't understand the question...
    If I can afford it I'm paying it, if I can't afford it I'm not paying it.

I think it's obvious that someone who can't afford to pay it isn't going to pay it...?:confused:

Advertisement