Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has your job ever ruined a film

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Anything to do with biology, particularly genetics. Watched 'Thunderforce' last night, (I know, I know, don't judge), and I started up with, 'why would a sequencing platform rearrange your DNA...?'. My boyfriend told me to zip it and stop nitpicking again. Star Trek the Next Generation is particularly bad for this. I think when they wrote scripts they had a generic line 'insert technobabble here', hence none of it makes any kind of sense.

I've also noticed a weird trend in films where biologists are always evil people who have no problem causing mayhem with their pesky tinkering. You don't seem to have the same bias towards physicists or tech related things which is weird considering the real life ethical dilemmas we see with widespread data mining or the development of AI to name but two examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Notmything

No one using ranged weapons properly. Apart from "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

In Fury a stationary Tiger would be expected to hit a target 19 times out of 20. The only possible reason to get close would be if there was serious artillery too.

Was watching Kong v Godzilla and couldn't understand why the jets were flying so close to 'zilla before firing their missiles. Just stand off and launch ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

A few things due to "training" rather than specific to my job drive me up the walls, particularly in relation to supposed professionals rendering first aid - giving mouth-to-mouth without checking/clearing the victim's airway, giving up on cardiac massage after three or four half-hearted presses, pulling people out of icy waters and wrapping them in blankets, soaking clothes and all ... :mad:

Oh, and one job-related thing: medical people squirting the contents of a syringe up in the air with no regard for health-and-safety, not to mention the waste.

And supposedly professional photographers who don't seem to know how to hold a camera, take every shot at head height, and talk about the great "quality of the light" in the middle of a bright sunny day. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Not so much work since I work in hospitality but I studied engineering, IT and physics in college so most sci-fi, action or anything to do with computers needs me to switch my brain off.

Special shout-out to Independence Day for getting all three.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I can accept a lot of artifice, but some things are just daft. I'm an engineer, so I catch a lot of science- and computer-related absurdities.

The classic example is Superman catching someone falling from a skyscraper metres before they hit the footpath and stops on a penny. It'd be like catching a egg dropped from the roof of a house with the prongs of a forklift. Yes, Superman is no less an absurd concept, but that's a conceit I bought into going into the movie. The sudden inanity breaks the sense of immersion that good directors aim for. Amazing Spiderman 2 actually gets this one right, and it makes this scene (spoiler alert!) very moving.

My pet peeve is chess games that make no sense. I'm a decent club player, so I'll spot these instantly. The board is supposed to be in a particular orientation, for example, with the rightmost square of the each player's back rank being white. It stands out like a sore thumb to a chess player. It's a 50:50 chance, and I reckon they get it wrong about 85% of the time. Here's an example from the opening scene of Never Say Never Again, Connery's belated return as Bond. The pieces are in sort of plausible positions, but the board is rotated. At least he hand grenades the blasted thing. The other 15% of the time, they've usually gotten someone in to copy from a real match, which is nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭bop1977

In the tv show Silicon Valley one of the lads ends up on a ship. The ship has a robot controlled warehouse. Robot driving forklift and the like. As he is walking around the lights on the roof are on. Why. Why are the lights on. Robots don’t need lights. They have sensors.

Silicon Valley ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,865 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Stay away from Final Destination series if you are a Health and safety officer.

bop1977 wrote: »
    In the tv show Silicon Valley one of the lads ends up on a ship. The ship has a robot controlled warehouse. Robot driving forklift and the like. As he is walking around the lights on the roof are on. Why. Why are the lights on. Robots don’t need lights. They have sensors.

Silicon Valley ruined.
    Depends on the sensors. Active sensors like lidar or ultrasound broadcast (not necessarily visible) light or sound or whatever, and sense the reflections, but a passive sensor like a digital camera needs an external source of light bouncing off of stuff. Cameras are cheap. Light is cheap. Video processing is very well developed. I think it's pretty plausible that they'd use video and so require lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

sugarman wrote: »
    Skyscrapper was set in Hong Kong, so you can almost guarantee there would there would be dodgy cost cutting building works if it was a real building!

Or Dublin,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    Anything to do with biology, particularly genetics. Watched 'Thunderforce' last night, (I know, I know, don't judge), and I started up with, 'why would a sequencing platform rearrange your DNA...?'. My boyfriend told me to zip it and stop nitpicking again. Star Trek the Next Generation is particularly bad for this. I think when they wrote scripts they had a generic line 'insert technobabble here', hence none of it makes any kind of sense.

I've also noticed a weird trend in films where biologists are always evil people who have no problem causing mayhem with their pesky tinkering. You don't seem to have the same bias towards physicists or tech related things which is weird considering the real life ethical dilemmas we see with widespread data mining or the development of AI to name but two examples.

Tachyon it was always Tachyons of some variety

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

When I watch any movies or TV program I know it is all fake. If they showed reality it would not be entertainment. I hate the people who go this is fake this is how its done. OF COURSE it will be fake its entertainment not reality

When I watch any movies or TV program I know it is all fake. If they showed reality it would not be entertainment. I hate the people who go this is fake this is how its done. OF COURSE it will be fake its entertainment not reality
    If that's your attitude, why bother making the movie? Just film a script read-through. Cost's a couple of grand. Job done. Special effects? Just fakery. Costumes? They're actors anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

All the Criminal Minds type shows where they can just routinely bring up records/hotel bills and and the like of somebody they are trying to find. Even the IRS couldnt do that, nor would the documents always be nicely stored on their systems as images.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Yeah pretty much any film were a boss or manager is nice to their employees. That sh!t fake as fuk, nobody is nice in real life

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I never had a job that was good enough to ruin a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Yeah I found Boogie Nights hard to watch due to my day job.

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Yeah I found Boogie Nights hard to watch due to my day job.

Bus boy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Silicon Valley ruined.

That actually reminds me of Terminator 2. Why does text appear in the terminator's vision? Surely any data he's receiving would just go straight to his brain. It's like he's reading stuff displayed on the inside of his eyeball.

Another bugbear is using big sciencey sounding words for the sake of it. Star Trek stands out here with Positronic and the aforementioned Tachyon.

The closest I have for something that is related to my job is Cocktail starring Tom Cruise. The only part of that I could relate to was getting screamed at by customers 5 deep at the bar and getting soaked to the skin by drink. Thank f*ck I'm not a bartender anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

https://youtu.be/C_AmdvxbPT8

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

"The files are located on the CIAs encrypted servers, pass me that laptop....*tap*....*tap*...*tap*..............I'm in"

Another thing easy to get into in the movies is cars, no one in the movies ever locks their car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

My dad was in the trade and served his time as was the done thing back in the day, at the height of the boom he had about 20 lads working for him and they all served their time as well in Bolton street. He was proud to say each lad was qualified. DIY programs were on the rise in the early 2000 and beyond. Both on TV and radio..
    He took such umbrage to them, he once called into the radio station saying that the lad they had on giving tips, had ‘learned his trade painting farm barns in England’ and it was a disgrace the advice he was giving out. Get a professional in basically!
    They called him back and asked him how would he like to take a spot and do the DIY segment. (He was quiet well known and had been involved in several castle/county house renovations at the time)He told them he would in his arse, he’d only be doing himself out of a job 😂 a man of principles of ever there was one!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Riddle101

This scene from Under Siege 2 is fairly laughable looking back on it. Of course, it's an action movie so you're not exactly going to expect it to be a Martin Scorsese film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I inadvertently drove onto the set of Braveheart when they were filming, so yeah, my job ruined a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭flowerific

I work as a film/tv Extra so I tend to visualise a film crew behind scenes or watch out for continuity or look for myself or mates. Or know part of what's happening in a scene 😄

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Silicon Valley ruined.
    The people who repair the robots on site need lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Any movie where one person develops a fully functioning glitch free complex software in about 2 hours always depresses me considering how long that takes in real life with development plans, change controls and validation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,911 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Yes, my job constantly got in the way of me watching movies, stupid work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Any movie where one person develops a fully functioning glitch free complex software in about 2 hours always depresses me considering how long that takes in real life with development plans, change controls and validation.

No Intergrarion testing or UAT either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

No Intergrarion testing or UAT either.

Haven't the foggiest notion about quantum computers but the series Devs was so full of Clichés and all film about silicon valley or IT, in general, seem to be full of Cliches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

From an office perspective, all the monitors being left on for the evening, not only that but logged in too with Bloomberg data showing.

As a general thing, I drink a lot of tea during work and I can tell you those cups are empty in movies!

Advertisement