Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar from the UK - Brexit implications

Options
  • 05-02-2021 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm looking at a guitar that I've only been able to find from guitarguitar in the UK. The German stores don't carry the brand, neither do any Irish retailers.

Excluding UK VAT and including delivery the guitar comes to £616 on the dot. Any idea how much extra I'd be paying in customs/duty etc?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

25% extra on the cost of the instrument and shipping if I remember correctly, plus potentially handling fees and possibly the cost of involving a company to pay it for you (An Post demands external shipping or import companies be involved for anything over a certain price).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ricksanchez

feylya wrote: »
    25% extra on the cost of the instrument and shipping if I remember correctly, plus potentially handling fees and possibly the cost of involving a company to pay it for you (An Post demands external shipping or import companies be involved for anything over a certain price).

Thanks, seems they use DPD for shipping!
    sugarman wrote: »
    £616 = €702.42 at current exchange rate.

Duty is 3.2% on Guitars, so +€22.48

Then VAT at 21% on €724.9 would be +€152.23.

Total €854.65 + Courier handling fee (Ranges from €10-25 pending company).

Note, VAT is currently at a reduced rate of 21% until 28th Feb. It then goes back up to 23% thus adding an additional ~ €15.

Really appreciate you working that all out, thanks so much. Think I'll go ahead and bite the bullet. I was expecting about €900 so that works out fine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Drop their customer service a line first and tell them you're in Ireland and wondering if they'd knock a few percent off. If you're a returning/regular customer they might be inclined to do so. Worth a shot before you buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭the goon

Hi, in similar situation myself, just wondering how you got on?

the goon wrote: »
    Hi, in similar situation myself, just wondering how you got on?

I actually ended up finding it in stock with another retailer in Germany after all bud! Never went ahead with the UK order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭the goon

Cheers. This Brexit thing is a right pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

the goon wrote: »
    Cheers. This Brexit thing is a right pain!

try living in the UK!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Bit of a long shot here...I was wondering if anyone knows what the reverse situation is - ie. selling from here to the UK and what taxes a buyer there might pay? I have a bass f/s on a UK site. If they have to pay VAT then it's a non runner.
    Would shipping from NI work?

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    Would shipping from NI work?

I used to order a lot of e-cig stuff from the UK, Brexit messed that up. I found a store in NI that had what I needed and contacted them. No extras when ordering from them. I would assume it'll be the same for you!

Advertisement